PDA

View Full Version : Spray Adhesive 55 Gal Pump Ideas

Ryan Willis
02-17-2015, 1:53 PM
Hi Everyone,

We're transitioning to using a 55 gallon drum of contact adhesive for lamination, over pressure pot setups. We're using Wilsonarts 951 contact.

We want to get a pump system to work directly out of the drum.

We're looking at the Binks 818231 bung mount pump.

Anyone using this setup? Issues, suggestions, input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

ian maybury
02-17-2015, 2:45 PM
Hi Ryan My experience with pneumatic drum pumps was in industry in dispensing but not spraying of high viscosity adhesives. You presumably want a spray set up to handle adhesive application as well.

They are a very well established technology, with quite a few making systems. I'd say it comes down to the suitability of the specific set up for your application - and that (as you are doing) going after user feedback on the same set up in a similar application is probably the best way to bottom the issue out. Making sure that the hardware is definitely the maker's choice for the application, and that the maker has a strong presence and reputation in the field.

I'm saying that because there's a pretty wide range of differing types and set ups out there - these pumps get used on a very wide range of applications. Everything from semi solid pastes to liquids. Be especially cautious of sales guys pushing an unproven option which they don't know enough about to truly recommend.

Sorry i don't have more specific experience, but the sort of issues i'd be looking out for are suitability of the spray head for your purposes (adjustability, economy etc), length of hose required (long runs can greatly up the required pressure), ease of drum change over (some set ups can be very messy, can use inappropriate seals and materials, and can need a fair amount of work to get the air bled out of the system leading to quite a lot of waste product and solvent too), simplicity (they get complicated if the viscosity of the adhesive is high enough to need a pressure plate in the drum/the pump is not self priming), trouble free restarting after a period of non use (the nozzle needs to be self clearing, there should be nothing about the head or drum set up that might lead to adhesive locally setting up when idle), ease of disassembly for cleaning, no requirement for frequent servicing etc.

After that it's probably a lot down to the usuals - price vs quality, support, spares availability and prices etc

Ryan Willis
02-17-2015, 4:17 PM
Hey Ian,

Thanks for the reply. We have a few vendors looking into this. We found Binks to be a solid company based on past pressure pot and spray gun purchases. They have pumps designed specifically for adhesives. I absolutely don't just want to buy a setup based on a sales guys recommendation. I'll keep the thread open a bit longer in the hopes that someone with some more experience chimes in.

Cheers.

Andy Booth
02-20-2015, 9:43 PM
What do the people who sold the adhesive recommend?

Jim Andrew
02-21-2015, 8:48 AM
I'm thinking like Andy, the company selling the adhesive probably has this covered. I have only a little experience with spray adhesive, just helped out in the countertop shop when they were covered up with orders. That spray adhesive is a huge improvement over trying to get all that adhesive applied with a brush.

Rich Engelhardt
02-21-2015, 1:00 PM
Call Graco.
They have a pump for anything.

Peter Kelly
02-21-2015, 3:02 PM
Have you considered the Sta'-Put system? No pump necessary. http://www.itwtacc.com/products/index.cfm?product=STA%27-PUT%20SPHS

You might also post this on the Woodweb Adhesives Forum.