PDA

View Full Version : Rinnai Direct Vent natural gas heater

Clarence Martin
02-16-2015, 8:51 PM
Price range is 1200 to $1500 just for the heater , 38000 BTU . Price quote is $2500 to $3000 fully installed. Is that about average for a full installation ?

Mike Cutler
02-16-2015, 9:03 PM
Are you replacing somewhat like for like, or going in a completely separate direction, or initial installation?
That's a price quote I would expect for a complete new install. In other words, they'll be installing it with no existing gas lines, vent lines, thimbles, electrical, and have to pull permits and get it inspected.

Clarence Martin
02-17-2015, 12:01 PM
This would be for a new install in the Living Room. Old gas hot air furnace is located in a converted closet in the Master bedroom upstairs. ( Separate heating systems for the lower and upper. Hot water boiler heat on the 1st floor. ) Where I would like to locate the new heater, is on a South wall in the Living Room. On the other side of the West wall of the Living Room, is the old Furnace. I would think that after they disconnect the old Furnace, they could just run the gas pipe through the West wall and run it through the South wall and have it come out of the South wall to where I would like the new heater to go,

Jim Becker
02-17-2015, 2:27 PM
The installation will vary with the venting requirements, including venting material, as well as the required gas line work. Units that require stainless steel venting run higher for installation than the newer units that can utilize PVC. Both of my tankless water heaters (which are similar to what you are installing) are on PVC. I would say that your quote is high if the unit takes PVC, but may be only slightly high if it takes the expensive, special specification stainless venting. Since this is going in living space, that can also account for the extra care required for installation which increases cost.