PDA

View Full Version : CL deals come and go...

Jesse Busenitz
02-16-2015, 6:10 PM
Is it me or is there cycles to CL???? It seems all the sudden everybody is trying to sell their radial arm saw right now....... Also I watch CL pretty close and not much in the way of "good" woodworking tools have been around, and then all the sudden I see PM 8" jointer, and two other guys selling complete woodshops, and a couple other nice deals???? Anybody else experience this? I know economy plays into this somewhat but that doesn't seem to be a huge problem as of now.:confused: But who am I to complain I ended up with a PM 1150 DP, PM66 and a Blum Minipress in the overflowing shop..... :D

Dave Zellers
02-16-2015, 6:39 PM
Yes- but it isn't a Craigslist cycle, it's a human behavior cycle. People's behavior seems to generally be in sync.

But to your point, I do see it on Craigslist. In my area, the periods of activity seem to come in waves.

My question is, is this increasing in the internet age?

Wade Lippman
02-16-2015, 6:54 PM
Partly pure coincidence, and partly our need to see patterns whether they exist or not.

Bruce Wrenn
02-16-2015, 8:01 PM
Same here. It seems when someone posts a tool for sale, others are reminded that they also have one that needs to go. Especially true if first poster is over priced, all the rest think theirs is worth just as much.

Kim Gibbens
02-16-2015, 9:52 PM
I saw that Powermatic for $500, I'd been all over it but I have a 8" bridgewood that serves me well. Where did you see the complete shops for sale? I'm just a stones throw from you in Moundridge.

Jesse Busenitz
02-17-2015, 7:55 AM
Well this guy had a whole lineup of PM tools all from '67....Plus a couple other nice machines and then this http://wichita.craigslist.org/tls/4894258659.html

Jim Matthews
02-17-2015, 8:03 AM
My experience is that sellers offer things I want when it is least convenient to reach them.

Nobody offers clean tools when I can just back up to their garage;
there's always some pile of tetanus on a stick in the way.

Anymore, I ask to see a photo of what is offered with a path to the door.
If I can't get the item out, what's the point?

Craigslist is something like the third step for 'hoarders anonymous'.

Steve Peterson
02-17-2015, 8:13 PM
It could be a local economy that has gone bad for some people. I consider the economy to have really bottomed out about 5-6 years ago when the housing industry went bust here. Cabinet shops probably held out for a while before laying off workers and selling their equipment. It seems to have gotten better in my neck of the woods. I think there are fewer tools on my local CL right now.

Steve

Anthony Whitesell
02-17-2015, 8:29 PM
Yes there are definitely cycles, both influenced by human nature and mother nature. Snowmobiles for example, will start of cheap in the fall as people unbury tham and want to move them before the season. As the winter prep season starts, the prices rise as people put cash into the sled to get it ready. As winter comes to a close, prices start to drop as people rather to sell the snowmobile than spend the time and money to put it in storage for the summer.

Bruce Wrenn
02-17-2015, 8:37 PM
Right now on local CL are three identical generators, in varying condition, form almost new to "hope it will crank." Best looking one is the middle price one. One that has been used for camp site power, meaning lots of hours, is the most expensive. One that looks like a dog, is priced cheapest, but still way over priced. No rhyme or reason to pricing. I own an identical unit that I bought several years ago for $100. It is in pristine condition. At time of purchase, it leaked gas between carb and tank. Tighten mounting screws, and no more leaks. Even though unit is only 2250 watts, it will keep two fridges, water pump, a couple lights, TV and furnace running. It will run about three hours on a gallon of gas. My bigger units use that much in 45 minutes, basically doing same thing.

Jesse Busenitz
02-17-2015, 9:12 PM
Lol I just counted and in the last month there's been 15 Radial arm saws listed......