PDA

View Full Version : Crushgrind Peppermill #4 - Yeah, Russell's Wood Again...

BILL DONAHUE
02-16-2015, 4:06 PM
Another crushgrind peppermill made of wood from Russell Eaton's special ambrosia maple. This one is 9 3/8" tall X 2 3/4" wide at the bottom. Made this one a little thicker to add bulk around the area below the third bead on the top. On this one I did not use shellac or Danish Oil so as to have a lighter wood to distinguish it from the last one. Each one gets easier and faster.

Pat Scott
02-17-2015, 2:52 PM
Bill, nobody could ever tell you've only made 4 pepper mills. The shape, wood, and design all look good. I make a similar shape as these but without the beads (but I like the beads and may steal the idea). One thing that I try to watch when making this shape is to not have a flat spot throughout the body. I can see that in this one. It's a balance to get a pleasing continuous curve from top to bottom, and not get too thin in the middle in the process.

Do you use a beading tool to make the beads? Or are they all free hand? They look good.

Joseph M Lary
02-17-2015, 5:56 PM
Bill, did you drill it all out and put it together and turn it as one piece ? very nice shape . I have never done the crush grind mill yet I'll have to give it a try.

BILL DONAHUE
02-18-2015, 7:07 PM
Pat, Yes, I used a beading tool - a "D" Way. Not that good without it.

Joseph, I had to come up with a way to do it that was somewhat different than the various directions I had. I parted the piece with tenons on top and bottom of both pieces. Then made the tenon and mortise where the two pieces fit together and left a tight fit. That allowed me to put them together and turn the final shape including the beads.

john snowdon
02-21-2015, 4:42 PM
Hi, Bill.

Beautiful job! What did you use to finish it? I'm working on an ambrosia maple candlestick holder and would like to keep the color as close to natural as possible. Thanks,
John

BILL DONAHUE
02-22-2015, 6:05 PM
Hi, Bill.

Beautiful job! What did you use to finish it? I'm working on an ambrosia maple candlestick holder and would like to keep the color as close to natural as possible. Thanks,
John

John, To distinguish this from my last one I only used WOP and eliminated the thinned shellac and Danish oil. Thanks..

john snowdon
02-22-2015, 7:09 PM
It turned out beautiful. Thanks, Bill!