PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Keyhole Fitting (s)

Val Kosmider
02-16-2015, 2:19 PM
Hi all-

I am looking for a single slot keyhole fitting (those little pieces of hardware that you attach to a shelf/bracket and slide them over a screw in the wall to support the shelf).

The critical issue is that my board is 5/8 inch thick and most of the single slot keyhole filings are also 5/8 wide (I have seen one that is 9/16"). I have seen fittings with double slots that are 1/2" wide, but they are 3" tall, and even cut in half, they will be too tall to use in my application.

Ideally, I would like to find a single slot fitting which is 7/16 wide. 1/2" wide only gives me a sixteenth of an inch on each side of the mortise slot, and I am not sure if I am skilled enough to cut the mortise into which the fitting sits without making a mess.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I can buy single slot keyhole fittings that are less than 1/2" wide? I have checked the usual suspects....Rockler, Lee Valley, Woodcraft, Grizzly, Highland and Heartland, but have not come up with anything helpful. Someone must make these things in smaller sizes, but who?

Thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction.

Sam Murdoch
02-16-2015, 3:50 PM
How about just use a keyhole router bit and make the hole in your bracket without the metal surround?

For example http://www.routerbits.com/keyhole-router-bits/whiteside-keyhole-router-bit-3/8ld-7/16cl-1/4sh-1fl/

Supporting the router is essential. I prefer to bore the larger hole with a forester bit first. That is where I start the router bit . Then the bit is essentially just cutting the slot.

An alternative of course is to buy a 1/2" or 5/8" wide keyhole fitting and cut it down to size.

Hope this is useful info.

Rick Whitehead
02-16-2015, 8:09 PM
Try Mod-Eez fasteners-http://www.mod-eez.com/Specifications_Page_1.htm. They make several keyhole fasteners for 5/8" thick stock.
Rick

Dan Hahr
02-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Got mine at Lowes in the picture hanger section. They are a little smaller than 1/2". Mortised easily since they are rounded. I use them for hanging heavy stuff. I use long hardened screws and space then for studs if I can.

NOTE: They are not as nice as the ones I used years ago. But they are rarely seen...
Dan