PDA

View Full Version : Question about installing a program on a second computer

Pete Lamberty
07-28-2005, 8:18 PM
Hi, I am trying to install the windows office programs on a second computer that I own. At the beginning of the install process the computer asks me to type in the 25 character authorization code. After I type it in and click the next button, the computer tells me that it is not the correct code. Or some words to that effect. Will Microsoft only let me install this program on one computer that I own? The one that the program came with? Is there anyway to install it on my new computer? Thanks for any help that you can give.

John Miliunas
07-28-2005, 8:42 PM
Pete, if the Office install was part of a "bundled" package, which came directly from the OEM with your original PC, there's a good chance you're stuck. Often, the bundled apps, which come with the original PC have the registration coded in such a way that they will only work with the originally installed operating system and hardware. :( If it's a full version installation, purchased off the shelf, it should be able to install on another machine.:cool:

Chuck Wintle
07-28-2005, 8:52 PM
Hi, I am trying to install the windows office programs on a second computer that I own. At the beginning of the install process the computer asks me to type in the 25 character authorization code. After I type it in and click the next button, the computer tells me that it is not the correct code. Or some words to that effect. Will Microsoft only let me install this program on one computer that I own? The one that the program came with? Is there anyway to install it on my new computer? Thanks for any help that you can give.
are you sure you have the correct 25 character code? If you download and run magicaljellybean it will give you the code that it was originally installed with. you can find it at......
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

Pete Lamberty
07-28-2005, 9:44 PM
Yes John, the program came with the original computer that I bought from Gateway. From what you said it looks like I am stuck. :( Rats.

I checked and rechecked the code Charles. I am very sure that I got it correctly. I have it saved on the program pamphlet and on the side of the computer. It looks like John's thoughts are probably right on this one. Thanks for the info guys.

Jim Becker
07-28-2005, 9:47 PM
The solution is to download and use OpenOffice...free and compatible with MS Office. I never bothered to upgrade my own copy of MS Office when I bought this computer over a year ago...no justification for the cost.

Vaughn McMillan
07-29-2005, 2:42 AM
I believe if you read the fine print lawyer talk in the license agreement, you're only allowed to install Office on one computer anyway. I'm not sure, but if your second computer is networked to the original one, I believe the installation may recognize the other instance of Office, and disallow installation on the second one. (I know this to be the case for some Help authoring software I use at work, but we use a corporate Office license, so I'm not sure how the OEM version deals with it.) John has probablyhit the nail on the head. (Wow, I turned it into a woodworking thread after all.)

Jim's suggestion for OpenOffice is workable for most people. Some of the softare I use for my job piggybacks on top of Word and is not compatible with open source alternatives, so I'm pretty much forced to use Microsoft's stuff. But then again, I don't pay for it...the company does.

- Vaughn

Pete Lamberty
07-29-2005, 9:35 AM
The solution is to download and use OpenOffice...free and compatible with MS Office. I never bothered to upgrade my own copy of MS Office when I bought this computer over a year ago...no justification for the cost.

Thanks for the solution, Jim. I looked up openoffice and went to their site. Lots of things there. Do I download the one called version 2? Any other directions that you can give to this non computer person is very much appreciated. :)