PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt 735 - Sell or Keep?

Dimitrios Fradelakis
02-16-2015, 1:21 PM
I picked up a Delta DC-380 15" planer from a fellow Creeker this weekend and don't know if I should keep my DeWalt 735. I had a DC-380 some years back but got rid of it and bought the DW735 as a replacement. I got rid of said planer because I couldn't get past the condition it was in (purchased used) and thought I could bring it back to life and make it look like new. The DC-380 I picked up now is close to mint condition and runs like a champ. I was thinking of keeping the DW735 as a back-up or for smaller projects but the DC-380 can handle anything I can throw at it without a doubt. Should I sell the DeWalt or keep it for smaller jobs? I will admit that space is a premium in my shop but I can always work around it need be.

Don Jarvie
02-16-2015, 1:24 PM
Sell it and use the money for something you need.

Peter Aeschliman
02-16-2015, 1:31 PM
The only reason I can see keeping a second planer around is to plane reclaimed wood that might have old finish or paint on it... you could use the DW for your first few passes without having to worry too much about messing up your knives or worry about cut quality.

But if you don't work with materials like that, sell it for sure. I really can't think of another reason for you to keep two machines that do the same thing.

John Schweikert
02-16-2015, 2:27 PM
Peter's point is well taken. I've had a Dewalt DW733 for 15 years but more recently bought a Makita 2012nb on sale. It allows me to have a higher quality finish planer and one for less than ideal or reclaimed lumber. I sharpen the blades on the Dewalt myself, it has a few nicks but otherwise works great and having both is quite useful. Everyone's needs are different though.

Clay Crocker
02-16-2015, 2:31 PM
I had planned to sell my DW735 after I bought a Grizzly 20"; that's been 3 years and I've yet to bring myself to part with the Dewalt. I don't use it very often, but every once in a great while it comes in handy if I have some boards that need just a smidgen planed off and I think the Griz might leave serrated roller marks.

Andrew Pitonyak
02-16-2015, 2:33 PM
Ask yourself a few questions:

Am I a hoarder? If yes, well, you can't sell it; but probably should.
Do I have tons of space. If yes, well, who cares, keep it you hoarder.
Assuming that you have the space for it, can you think of a use for it? I know people with multiple table saws that are configured for different uses; for example, one with a dado blade and one with a rip blade. If yes, well, then keep it.

The primary determination would be if you had reason to have multiple machines configured, or, if the 735 just happens to do something better.

Ray Newman
02-16-2015, 2:57 PM
In my opinion, Dan Jarvie and Andrew Pitonyak said it all....

Wade Lippman
02-16-2015, 3:00 PM
Unless you have more money and space than you know what to do with, sell it. I sold mine. (Guy who bought it dropped it on the way to his car; don't know what ever happened.)

Matt Day
02-16-2015, 3:06 PM
You said it yourself "space is at a premium". Sell it and use the money and space for something else. I kept my dw734 for about a year after getting a 15" planer and never used it, so I sold it.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
02-16-2015, 3:39 PM
Thank you for the replies, off to Craigslist and the Classifieds section it will go.

Now a fair asking price for a DW735, factory tables, factory stand, and a extra set of knives.

Larry Frank
02-16-2015, 7:56 PM
I bought a 15" planer and kept my DW735. I found with the serrated infeed roll that I had to take off a certain amount to get rid of the marks and this makes it difficult to hit precise thickness. The DW735 is easy to adjust a few thousandths so that getting boards very close for things life face frames or panels are easier.

Dan Hahr
02-16-2015, 7:58 PM
Nooooooooo! Don't sell it. I have both and the Dewalt is much more precise than the Delta. It is so much easier to use the smaller Dewalt for everyday tasks than the bigger beast. I use my big one when I need to plane heavy long boards or remove a lot of wood at a time. I keep my big one out of the way against a wall unto I need it. My 735 is always ready to go. If you like the accuracy and easy knife changes you will miss the Dewalt.

Dan

Matthew Hills
02-16-2015, 8:11 PM
I'd give yourself 1 or 2 projects with the new planer. Make sure you're happy with its adjustment, finish, and dust collection.
The new planer does take more space, and it may not be a win in all factors that you care about.
A little bit of experience will confirm your preference.

I don't think keeping two planers is of super high value compared to other uses for space/money.

Matt

Nick Stokes
02-16-2015, 8:17 PM
I'm curious to know if your new one performs better than the 735... I am very happy with my 735, and don't see how it could get a lot better without spending a substantial amount of money.

jack duren
02-16-2015, 9:39 PM
Nooooooooo! Don't sell it. I have both and the Dewalt is much more precise than the Delta. It is so much easier to use the smaller Dewalt for everyday tasks than the bigger beast. I use my big one when I need to plane heavy long boards or remove a lot of wood at a time. I keep my big one out of the way against a wall unto I need it. My 735 is always ready to go. If you like the accuracy and easy knife changes you will miss the Dewalt.

Dan

Delta what?

jack duren
02-16-2015, 9:41 PM
I'm curious to know if your new one performs better than the 735... I am very happy with my 735, and don't see how it could get a lot better without spending a substantial amount of money.

The delta was 2-3 times the cost of the 735...

Andrew Hughes
02-16-2015, 10:14 PM
I use my planer the same as Dan,The Dewalt handles small stuff more precisely.So it earns it keep on top of my powermatic.

Dan Hahr
02-16-2015, 10:31 PM
Delta what?

DC-380

And, yes, it is better at some things. But not at...

Taking a sliver of wood off without leaving feeder tracks...
Switching out blades...
Dust collection....
Repeatability...planing boards to 11/16 today, 3/4 tomorrow, and 1/8" Friday, and then matching the 11/16 the next....
Taking exactly 1/64th of an inch off...
Leaving a glass smooth finish...and...
Staying out of the way.

The DC380 is heavier and more powerful for sure. I can plane 8/4 oak in 12 foot lengths without tipping it. I can take off 1/8th of an inch at once. But I do a lot of precise work and I like my furniture to join perfectly. I'll keep both, and I have way less room in my garage then most folks. But I also know that I'll never get what either of them are worth in the used market.

Dan

Art Mann
02-16-2015, 11:10 PM
In my observation, the smaller universal motor planers leave a superior finish on the surface to the cast iron induction motor planers. They also typically produce a more uniform thickness. For CNC routing purposes, I like to keep the thickness consistent to +/- 0.005" over the whole surface. Very few big planers are adjusted that precisely. My 10 year old Ridgid planer with indexed knives does it routinely with no adjustments. I would keep both and use the larger planer for the bulk of the material removal and then use the 735 to get a fine finish and precise thickness (if you require it).

Rick Potter
02-17-2015, 2:58 AM
Like Andrew says.

I kept my benchtop mortiser attached to the top of my 15" Jet. The 735 would fit there, and not take up room, if you decide to keep it.

William C Rogers
02-17-2015, 8:51 AM
I bought a MiniMax FS35 as I got a good deal. I kept my Dewalt 735. It comes in handy for just touching up as I can plane much closer to size. Much easier then dragging out the MiniMax. Of course I am in the tool horder category. I have two midi lathes, two 12 miter saws, two Delta 1" belt/disk sanders just for starters. Bought the Ridgid miter saw and didn't like that much, so bought a Milwaukee slider ( great ), Lowes was closing out the belt sanders for $60 so bought two, Lowes was also closing out the Delta midi lathes bought that then I wanted variable speed and bought a Jet midi. Just can't bring myself to sell thinking if one breaks I have another one.

jack duren
02-17-2015, 5:54 PM
DC-380

And, yes, it is better at some things. But not at...

Taking a sliver of wood off without leaving feeder tracks...
Switching out blades...
Dust collection....
Repeatability...planing boards to 11/16 today, 3/4 tomorrow, and 1/8" Friday, and then matching the 11/16 the next....
Taking exactly 1/64th of an inch off...
Leaving a glass smooth finish...and...
Staying out of the way.

The DC380 is heavier and more powerful for sure. I can plane 8/4 oak in 12 foot lengths without tipping it. I can take off 1/8th of an inch at once. But I do a lot of precise work and I like my furniture to join perfectly. I'll keep both, and I have way less room in my garage then most folks. But I also know that I'll never get what either of them are worth in the used market.

Dan

"Taking a sliver of wood off without leaving feeder tracks..."

This is the only thing I can agree on. But mines dialed in. The DC-380 is not a toy when compared and will outlast the 735.

Kent A Bathurst
02-17-2015, 7:13 PM
"Taking a sliver of wood off without leaving feeder tracks..."

This is the only thing I can agree on. But mines dialed in. The DC-380 is not a toy when compared and will outlast the 735.

Agree.

How ever - How often does one need to take off 1/64"?

Maybe I got it all wrong, but when I go to the planer, I have all my joining/same plane parts ready to go, and pass them through sequentially. I don't need to take off 1/64" because, to be honest, if the joining parts are all the same thickness, that 1/64" doesn't affect the finished piece.

Am I missing something?

On the OP - you got it, you like it, then keep it. I couldn't afford the room, but other than that - hey - whatever. Not sure how much $$ you would get on the used market, and what else those funds might get you, but probably not a big deal for you either way.

Larry Frank
02-17-2015, 8:31 PM
I guess that I just am not organized enough and do not have all my parts so well organized so I .need to go back and make a part. In addition, when I am that organized I have found that sometimes a day after I plane something it can sometimes warp and twist causing me to have to make another.

Yes,you are missing something.

I can take off a few thousandths to exactly match parts made earlier and you can not do that with the bigger planer and serrated rolls.

Kent A Bathurst
02-17-2015, 11:45 PM
I guess that I just am not organized enough and do not have all my parts so well organized so I .need to go back and make a part. In addition, when I am that organized I have found that sometimes a day after I plane something it can sometimes warp and twist causing me to have to make another.

Yes, you are missing something.

I can take off a few thousandths to exactly match parts made earlier and you can not do that with the bigger planer and serrated rolls.

OK, Larry - I get that. You are correct - I cannot take off a few thou with those serrated rolls. No argument there.

But, with all due respect, I reject your premise, which is that I have a need to do that. I don't. I am not saying by any means that this applies to any other person - just my spot on the space-time continuum.

I finish-plane for thickness and finish rip/joint for width in batches. I guess I do plan ahead, but it is not driven by the planer - it is driven by my recognition that "....a day after I plane something it can sometimes warp......."

Life is too short for me, Larry.
> I have parts first-pass jointed, planed, and ripped - all slightly oversized.
> They are all lined up standing on on edge [equalized air flow to minimize - not eliminate - warping]. They sit there for at least 24 hours, to let them move if they have a notion to do so.
> When I am ready to go to Glue-Up City, I take mating sets of parts, and final plane-to-size, and final-joint, that set. Really, that is only a matter of minutes.
> I glue them up
> If the schedule, and LOML, allow me enough time for another set for Glue-up City, I machine that second set while set #1 is in the clamps. When #1 comes out of the clamps, #2 goes in.
> I do not go through final machining when I am not prepared to complete the assembly within a few hours.

You call it organized - and that is fair: I am. Not really OCD or anything though..............I call it efficient: I hate to pay for the same yardage twice.

I call it "I have been through that male bovine manure too many times to want to spend another minute with warped, non-fitting, components".

:D :D

PS - I know - I know - how much fiber is coming off the surface with a single pass thru the DC-380 [without leaving roller marks]. My dial calipers and that knowledge let me set the "last pass" to get to my final dim cleanly. I am not guessing as the board gets close to final dim - so I am not sitting there at the end game needing a few thou. Heck - I am not certain that I would even worry about a few thou, if all the components were the same dim.

In fact - the "per rotation" dims are on the planer housing in permanent magic marker, right by the crank. +/- 1/64" is trivial, half that is de rigeur.

Keep your benchtop - everything I have read here makes it sound like a great tool. Were I buying today, the cost and the size would give me serious pause to consider one. Those critters simply had not been born when I got my 380.

and..........so it goes.......... See you in the funny papers.

Art Mann
02-18-2015, 12:00 PM
How ever - How often does one need to take off 1/64"?

My answer to that question is "all the time". I buy rough sawn 4/4 Walnut, Cherry and Maple to make boxes, among other things. I plane one surface flat, resaw it in half and then plane the 3 remaining surfaces to thickness. If I had to take off 1/16" or even 1/32" in some cases, I would not be able to obtain 2 good 3/8" boards. For this application, an induction motor cast iron planer simply will not work. If I could only have one planer, it would have to be the lunchbox unit because that is the only kind that will do what I want, however slowly.

Kent A Bathurst
02-18-2015, 12:23 PM
There you go, Art - an application with which I have no experience. Definitely the right tool for the job, eh?

Dave Zellers
02-18-2015, 5:42 PM
I have the hardest time letting old tools go. Especially if I think it can still help me in some way. So when I bought my 380 off Craigslist, my trusty old Delta lunchbox sat in a corner for a couple years.

Then I had a brainstorm- I realized I never used the pull up supports on my planer so I removed them and claimed that wasted space underneath. I love having it back and available whenever I want it. As already mentioned, the ability to skim off a teeny amount without leaving roller marks is great. It's also nice to be able to leave the 380 at the current project setting and still be able to plane something else for whatever reason. I don't think that old lunchbox has much value but it gives me 2 planers in roughly the same footprint as one.