PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Ridgid Oscillating Spindle Belt Sander

Scott Brandstetter
02-16-2015, 10:51 AM
I've had this tool for a lot of years and really like it. Recent problem is when I switch from the belt to a spindle, I can't seem to tighten the spindle down. Anyone else run into this or have a suggestion as to what the problem may be?

Kent A Bathurst
02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Are you bottoming out on the threads? Meaning - the nut is not tightening down all the way on the post.

There should be largish flat plastic washers below and above the drum - maybe those got lost/overlooked?

Shawn Pixley
02-16-2015, 1:33 PM
Not to be offensive, but you know it has left hand threads, right? If that isn't the issue, add a washer or two under the knob.

Scott Brandstetter
02-17-2015, 1:31 AM
Thanks guys for the responses, and, no offense taken Shawn. Went down tonight and took a second look at things and it's weird, everything looks right but still can't lock down the spindles. When I try to tighten down the "knob" the shaft of the spindle spins so it won't let me get the tension I need.

Bill Huber
02-17-2015, 9:00 AM
Thanks guys for the responses, and, no offense taken Shawn. Went down tonight and took a second look at things and it's weird, everything looks right but still can't lock down the spindles. When I try to tighten down the "knob" the shaft of the spindle spins so it won't let me get the tension I need.

I would clean the spindle shaft threads real good and the inside of the nut and then try it.

With nothing on the shaft see how far down the nut goes.

john bateman
02-17-2015, 9:06 AM
I have that sander. I have noticed over the years the spindles are more difficult to get tight...the sandpaper tends to slide off them in use.
I wonder if the rubber has shrunk or become less pliabe over time, which might require the "knob" to be tightened more than it used to. And we are just running out of threads to get that tight, with the knob bottoming out on the threaded shaft.

The suggestion above to add some more washers on top of the rubber spindle should help.

Bill Huber
02-17-2015, 9:38 AM
I have that sander. I have noticed over the years the spindles are more difficult to get tight...the sandpaper tends to slide off them in use.
I wonder if the rubber has shrunk or become less pliabe over time, which might require the "knob" to be tightened more than it used to. And we are just running out of threads to get that tight, with the knob bottoming out on the threaded shaft.

The suggestion above to add some more washers on top of the rubber spindle should help.

I just went out and measured all of the rubber drums and they all measure out to 4 31/64".

glenn bradley
02-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Another 'no offense' idea; are you using the appropriate top washers for the drums. Beyond that I am inclined to go with the fouled threads as mine literally tightens itself in use.

Ellen Benkin
02-17-2015, 11:31 AM
I second everyone who suggested that you have a washer on top that causes the rubber to "bulge" and hold the sandpaper. I have the same machine and just used it after several months without it and had the same problem you describe until I "found" the washer in one of the slots in front and that made all the difference. It's a fairly thick washer -- maybe 1/8".

Kevin Womer
02-17-2015, 11:38 AM

I have noticed the same problem, last time I used it I wrapped a little masking tape around the spindle, just enough so I could still get the sandpaper on, knock on wood, but it worked. It was a colder day in my shop when I was doing this and the sander is more than a few years old, so who knows the reason. The rubber on each spindle does feel hard, but when pressure is applied it should expand enough to keep the sandpaper from slipping off. I do tend to use it aggressively another factor, and when I notice it slipping I back the pressure off and that helps too.
Hope this helps,
Kevin

Jon McElwain
02-17-2015, 12:12 PM
I've got the same sander and the same problem. I used a stack of fender washers that just fit over the spindle (the part attached to the machine) and wide enough to support the rubber insert that bulges to hold the sanding drum in place. I'll take a look at it later and try to get back to you, but it seems like I've got 1/4" to 3/8" worth of washers stacked up. On the top side, I have a rubber garden hose washer that fits over the spindle and allows the top nut to thread down and put pressure on the rubber insert.

I thought (and perhaps still think) that I lost a piece that I forgot about and that is why I have needed the washers and such to hold the spindle in place. I ran the belt attachment for over a year without changing to the spindle attachment, and when I went to put the spindle back on, I ran into the same problem you described. After the year, I could not remember if there was an additional part. Glad to know I'm not the only one. The fix is very straightforward and once applied, the machine runs as it should.

I'll try to remember to take some photos when I go back to the shop.

Jon Mac

Steve Peterson
02-17-2015, 8:07 PM
Are you in a part of the country that is getting hammered by really bad weather? The rubber drums could be hard as a rock if they are cold.

Steve

Al Weber
02-17-2015, 10:09 PM
Also be aware that different suppliers of the sanding sleeves have different dimensions and this can lead to slipping of the sleeve. I don't remember where I bought a set of sleeves that were slightly larger in diameter than the originals that came with the machine and I had to use more than one washer on top of the rubber drum to compress it adequately.