PDA

View Full Version : CutList Plus Express Software

Brian W Evans
02-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Just an FYI:I got an email recently from the company that makes CutList Plus, which is software for planning projects, optimizing use of sheet goods, etc. They have released an "Express" version of the software with some limited capabilities that sells for $39. It seems like most of what they took out would be useful for production shops, leaving the stuff hobbyists would need.

I used a trial version of their software on a project recently (hence the email from the company) and found it very helpful. I used it to efficiently lay out parts on several pieces of cabinet grade (read: expensive) plywood. It worked great, even taking into account grain direction. I bought the software today since, if I save even half a sheet of plywood on one project, it will pay for itself.

I have no relationship to this company other than having used their software once - just though others would find it useful.

Here's a link: http://cutlistplus.com/purchase/

Jim Becker
02-16-2015, 11:53 AM
I've been an owner of the "silver" version for many years and it's been helpful to me for figuring out sheet goods needs for projects. I don't really use it fully for detailed "cut lists"...I don't find that necessary, per se, but it's handy when I need it for what I use it for.

One thing I've appreciated is that one I bought the product, I've been able to get upgrades without cost for all the time I've owned it. Not all companies are that generous.

Ian Scofield
02-16-2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks for sharing this software, I've never heard of it and have always been building my cutlists in sketchup. I think this will save me quite a bit of time/headache.

Art Mann
02-16-2015, 1:47 PM
There used to be a free plugin for Sketchup called Cutlist that would do optimized material usage automatically. It was a little bit limited but still useful. I haven't used it lately because I upgraded to a version of Sketchup that wouldn't work with the plugin I had. It is probably still available for the newer versions.

Dave Richards
02-16-2015, 3:55 PM
There used to be a free plugin for Sketchup called Cutlist that would do optimized material usage automatically. It was a little bit limited but still useful. I haven't used it lately because I upgraded to a version of Sketchup that wouldn't work with the plugin I had. It is probably still available for the newer versions.

Yes. The current version is available in the Extension Warehouse.

Lee Reep
02-16-2015, 5:16 PM
My biggest issue for the Express version when I went to the link is that it is only for sheet goods. Although the more I think about it, it would be handy for determining overall sheet goods needs, and maybe adjusting some dimensions on components where possible to minimize waste.

Mike Goetzke
02-16-2015, 9:40 PM

Here is a link to the free dlephi program:

http://www.delphiforfun.org/programs/cutlist.htm

I've used it for years now even on my large kitchen cabinet job (along with Cabinet Planner). Modifying parts is a little slow but I have found if you use Windows Notepad editor mods go much quicker.

Mike

Dave Richards
02-17-2015, 5:48 AM
Here is a link to the free dlephi program:

http://www.delphiforfun.org/programs/cutlist.htm

I've used it for years now even on my large kitchen cabinet job (along with Cabinet Planner). Modifying parts is a little slow but I have found if you use Windows Notepad editor mods go much quicker.

Mike

To be clear, although Mike quotes Art's comment related to the CutList plugin for SketchUp, the one he linked to is not a plugin for SketchUp.

Justin Ludwig
02-17-2015, 9:13 AM
I use Cutlist Plus. Sure takes the headache out when breaking down 20-40 sheets of plywood.