PDA

View Full Version : Delta Mobile Base Issue

Dimitrios Fradelakis
02-15-2015, 7:08 PM
Hello everyone. I have a Unisaw with a 52" fence, Delta out feed table and a Excalibur overhead dust collection system installed. All this sits on a Delta mobile base. For some reason when I depress the lever that pushes the plate to engage the spinning caster, it doesn't engage. The only way it will engage is if the wheel itself is directly underneath the plate, but it automatically goes south when you begin to turn the saw and the wheel begins to move out from underneath the plate. Does anyone know of a solution to this VERY annoying issue? I have a small shop so mobility is extremely important to me. When a problem like this arises it's a headache because I can't get any other work done until the saw moves. Maybe a better mobile base? Can anyone recommend one? Thank you for your help!

John C Bush
02-15-2015, 7:55 PM
I had similar problems with one of mine. The caster failed--can't remember if the bearings or the wheel got smushed. When the caster swiveled it would bind on the housing and stop any mobility. I installed a new/better caster and it has been working well since. Also can't remember if I used a larger diameter wheel but a higher weight rated caster fixed it. If your caster is still OK try shimming where the lifting cam/metal triangle contacts for more lift.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
02-16-2015, 7:30 AM
I'm going to try the shim under the triangle approach and see if that resolves the issue. I would like to change the wheel and possibly add a few more but the mere thought of having to remove the saw and all the attachments is already giving me a headache. Thank you for your help, John.

John C Bush
02-16-2015, 8:06 AM
Hi Dimitrios,
I do a little metal work--welder for Xmas level-- and I replicated the design of the Delta base for several other machines and they all have worked well. I think the caster was under engineered for the loads we put on them. Good luck

Bill Huber
02-16-2015, 8:25 AM
I think you have the same base as I do and when my lever got to the point it would not raise the saw this is what I did.

307065 307066 307067

Bob Grier
02-16-2015, 10:28 AM
I have problem too but not sure it is the same problem. When I depress the lever, the caster engages (lifts the saw off the floor). However, when I move the saw, the lever disengages and drops the saw back to the floor. I have to hold one foot on the lever and jump/skip around on one leg while moving the saw. This doesn't work very well and is frustrating. I like Bill's solution but not sure it solves the same problem I have. I see where his parts would push the caster down further, thereby lifting the saw further. If this also makes it so the lever stays depressed while moving the saw, then that is my solution too. Is this so?

Bill Huber
02-16-2015, 10:38 AM
I have problem too but not sure it is the same problem. When I depress the lever, the caster engages (lifts the saw off the floor). However, when I move the saw, the lever disengages and drops the saw back to the floor. I have to hold one foot on the lever and jump/skip around on one leg while moving the saw. This doesn't work very well and is frustrating. I like Bill's solution but not sure it solves the same problem I have. I see where his parts would push the caster down further, thereby lifting the saw further. If this also makes it so the lever stays depressed while moving the saw, then that is my solution too. Is this so?

The problem I had was the lever would not raise enough to lift the saw off the ground. The ears on the lever where rounded off from use. The first one I did the mod on would do just like you talk about, it would flip back as I moved the saw. I then moved the hole to the back a little more and that took care of both problems.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
02-16-2015, 10:59 AM
I think you have the same base as I do and when my lever got to the point it would not raise the saw this is what I did.

307065 307066 307067

That is a great solution, Bill. I will end up going that route cause I know my luck ha! Thank you.

Hi Dimitrios,
I do a little metal work--welder for Xmas level-- and I replicated the design of the Delta base for several other machines and they all have worked well. I think the caster was under engineered for the loads we put on them. Good luck

I too do welding (work related) and have thought about fabricating my own mobile base. The price of the Delta mobile base should reflect better quality as far as te caster is concerned. The stand is built solid but thaty pedal and caster are garbage.They know the accessories that might be added to your table saw yet they put a flimsy caster on it. Sad the direction that Delta has taken. All my large tools are Delta and I like them VERY much but the quality as of late is sad.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
02-16-2015, 11:02 AM

307065 307066 307067

That is a great solution, Bill. I will end up going that route cause I know my luck ha! Thank you.

Hi Dimitrios,

I too do welding (work related) and have thought about fabricating my own mobile base. The price of the Delta mobile base should reflect better quality as far as te caster is concerned. The stand is built solid but thaty pedal and caster are garbage.They know the accessories that might be added to your table saw yet they put a flimsy caster on it. Sad the direction that Delta has taken. All my large tools are Delta and I like them VERY much but the quality as of late is sad.

Bob Grier
02-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Thank you Bill. I like your solution to the height issue too. When I do the fix, I should address both issues while at it. Now that I see solutions, that makes it much easier to get motivated.

Bill Huber
02-16-2015, 2:27 PM
What gets me is you can buy the whole kit from Rockler or Woodcraft for around $63 but if you go to Ereplacement parts the lever with the shaft and 2 clips will cost you $98. The caster is only $29.... only..