PDA

View Full Version : Fast Cap Flat Back Tape

George Bokros
02-15-2015, 4:31 PM
Anyone have one of these? How do you like it, would you purchase again.

Link to it: http://amazon.com/FastCap-Standby-Flatback-Tape-Measure/dp/B005CR7DL0/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424035843&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=fastcap+flat+back+tape

Thanks for your input.

Bill Orbine
02-15-2015, 5:36 PM
I bought one a few months ago based on some good reviews on this forum. It was cheap but I didn't like it. The tape hook doesn't "hold on" so well that when I unreel the tape as if I'm measuring something long, the hook would slip off. The tape itself is too fexible and no stiffness to keep the hook from slipping off the substrate. What happens is the tape reels in so fast and the hook catches and whips my fingers. I've already had a couple cuts/ bruises from this. Threw it out. I might have a different story with a "stiff" tape.

John McClanahan
02-15-2015, 6:18 PM
I have one that I seldom use, but I'm glad to have it.

John

Tom Ewell
02-15-2015, 6:28 PM
I have the 'storypole' version, nice for layout on flat shorter work, use it to wrap around columns and the like for marking cuts and good for laying out/measuring curved surfaces.
It does not replace the std. rigid tapes, more of a job specific type tool.

George Bokros
02-15-2015, 6:36 PM
Thinking of it for laying out sheet goods,don't know that I would have a use for using it on round objects. Guess I have gotten along without something like this so I am on the fence as to whether I really need it.

Lee Schierer
02-15-2015, 7:03 PM
I have one, I used it a few times. It is okay, but it doesn't want to lay flat unless you stretch it. It seldom gets used now.

Neil Gaskin
02-15-2015, 7:10 PM
Anyone have one of these? How do you like it, would you purchase again.

Link to it: http://amazon.com/FastCap-Standby-Flatback-Tape-Measure/dp/B005CR7DL0/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424035843&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=fastcap+flat+back+tape

Thanks for your input.

Guess I'm in the minority, I have one and like it for most things. A minor additional benefit to me is the pencil sharpener on the side of it.

Larry Frank
02-15-2015, 7:13 PM
I have one and like it for layout as it lays flat and easy to mark measurements. I have others that are regular tapes and they work well.

Bruce Wrenn
02-15-2015, 8:01 PM
In my business, we sometimes build curved cabinets. For them it's the cat's meow! Own two, one in truck, and other in shop.

Clint Baxter
02-15-2015, 8:31 PM
I have, use, and like it. As stated earlier for curved objects, works better than any normal tape because you can wrap it round the curve, something a normal tape won't do. Also agree with the first reply about it not wanting to hook onto an object very well and the excessive whip when you let it reel in. All said and done, I'd buy another if mine dies or goes AWOL.

Clint

keith micinski
02-15-2015, 8:31 PM
It's not an every day tool and was never designed to be. But when you need to measure a curve or just do really accurate layout it's there.

Larry Anderson
02-15-2015, 9:24 PM
I bought one a few months ago based on some good reviews on this forum. It was cheap but I didn't like it. The tape hook doesn't "hold on" so well that when I unreel the tape as if I'm measuring something long, the hook would slip off. The tape itself is too fexible and no stiffness to keep the hook from slipping off the substrate. What happens is the tape reels in so fast and the hook catches and whips my fingers. I've already had a couple cuts/ bruises from this. Threw it out. I might have a different story with a "stiff" tape.

I agree with what Bill said. It has become my shop pencil sharpener.

Peter Quinn
02-15-2015, 9:58 PM
I got one on accident at a wood craft some time ago, wound up in my bag, was on counter, they though I was buying it and I wasn't paying attention. I keep it in my work tool box, I find it handy for doing long story poles and layouts and for measuring lengths on curved work that are hard to measure with a rigid tape. I have found the hook is easily dislodged, I use a spring clamp to hold it to long story poles. At this point having found a use for it I'd probably buy one if I didn't own one. But not sure its useful for everyone, and certainly not a can't live without it item.

Alan Lightstone
02-15-2015, 10:51 PM
I like mine. Makes it easier to get accurate measurements by laying flat.

Not for everything, but clearly has it's purpose.

Clay Crocker
02-15-2015, 11:00 PM
I have a Fastcap flat-back tape but I never use it. Mine has the scale only on one side which I found inconvenient and the flat-back feature doesn't do anything for me. I do have a Fastcap, standard, Lefty/Righty tape measure that I use ALL the time, carry it in my shop apron in fact.

Sam Murdoch
02-16-2015, 7:19 AM
's been sitting on my shelf since I bought it - about 6 (maybe 7) years :rolleyes:

Roger Pozzi
02-16-2015, 8:01 AM
I absolutely could not get by without mine. It lays flat so layouts are precise. I use a combination square on top of the tape to get very precise. Can't do that with a conventional tape. As a down-side, it won't extend 9 feet before bending, but I have a Stanley for just that purpose. :rolleyes:

Shawn Pixley
02-16-2015, 1:30 PM
I have one and love it for certain applications of woodworking. Mine has the blank half side for story stick marking. It isn't particularly useful for carpentry / home repair applications. I use a standard tape for those.

Ole Anderson
02-17-2015, 2:55 PM
Yea, they won't extend one inch without bending, but that is the purpose. They lay flat for an accurate measurement for cabinet work. I have one, I like it, but no, it doesn't get used too often.

Bruce Page
02-17-2015, 3:07 PM
Guess I'm in the minority, I have one and like it for most things. A minor additional benefit to me is the pencil sharpener on the side of it.

Same here. I bought it just for laying out cross cuts on the TS. It works great for that.

Chris Padilla
02-17-2015, 3:22 PM
It has a pencil sharpener on the side?! I guess I will have to look at mine...guess I don't use it all that much.

glenn bradley
02-17-2015, 3:31 PM
I have one but, don't use it often. When it is time to measure something that is not flat, it is my go-to. For daily measuring tasks, use a tool designed for that. The hook grips poorly because the tape is flat. You must hold the hook in position to get an accurate reading otherwise it will slip up the edge and foul your measurement. It is made for wrapping around or following curves on things. When used as designed, it is tops.

Erik Christensen
02-17-2015, 6:02 PM
i have 3 - one is metric - use them almost exclusively when in the shop, especially for sheet goods.

Karl Fife
08-14-2016, 11:45 PM
One thing to be aware of is that the HOOK on the end is FIXED. Unlike a normal tape, it does NOT slide in/out to compensate for inside/outside measurements. Unless you explicitly subtract the arbitrary thickness of the hook from inside measurements, your measurements will be incorrect.

FastCap's position appears to be that a flat tape is not suitable to inside measurements because you can't 'push' it (e.g. you can't push a rope). I don't share their opinion. I would suggest that it IS suitable provided that the inside measurement is not very long, OR that the tradesman is taking some care to keep it flat/taut. Our ancestors measured with ropes for ages.

I can think of several ways that Fastcap could have come up with to deal with this issue that are better than being incorrect.

It's for this reason that I will pass on this tool. I do like FastCap though. They're an innovative company. I'm a frequent user of their glue-bot's and speed tape.

keith micinski
08-15-2016, 12:27 AM
I'm pretty sure there is no way to make a non fixed end as accurate as a fixed end. This tool has exactly one purpose it was intended to be used for. Fast cap makes multiple tapes that have a single use that's easy to use and be accurate. If you want a tape measure to do multiple things then there are plenty of options out there that do that. None of them are going to accurately layout measurements to flat stock whether it's curved or not as easily or as accurately as the flat back. On a side note I am amazed at how few people actually know that a tape measure end is supposed to move to make up for the thickness of the hook. Even worse when I tell them and explain why they still don't believe me which is absurd and blows my mind.

Karl Fife
08-15-2016, 11:34 AM
>>I'm pretty sure there is no way to make a non fixed end as accurate as a fixed end

You're absolutely right (although non-fixed ends can be more accurate than you might think). You're also right that people buying a flatback are NOT lookng for a do-all tape.

I'm of the opinion that inside measurements are within the scope of even this specialized tape, but I'm not trying to say the tape isn't useful as-is, or that you shouldn't buy it, or shouldn't like it.

My point was that they don't make it particularly clear that the hook is fixed, and the fact that it's fixed will take some buyers by surprise (this is why I took a moment to write this post).

My other point is that they could have enabled inside measurements without sacrificing accuracy or any of its strengths. For example, by printing the back of the flat tape, offset by the thickness of the hook. There are several examples of this in the wild. It would work particularly well in their case.

Fastcap likes to hear ideas from customers. Maybe I'll email them :-)

Ben Rivel
08-15-2016, 1:41 PM
The Flat Back is so cheap you can buy it and another non-flat back type tape measure. Its great to have around when its appropriate to use.

Andrew Pitonyak
08-15-2016, 3:18 PM
I mostly use the Lefty/Right version, which does NOT lay flat. When I really want something laying flat, that is when I grab the one that you referenced. I have a bunch of the lefty/righty tapes. I am able to use the others, but then I need to tip them on their side to get to an edge. So, I don't grab the flat back unless I am doing a bunch or measurements where it matters.

John Cole
08-15-2016, 7:06 PM
Had one for years - never use it