PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice about router tables

rudy de haas
02-15-2015, 2:32 PM
Hi:

I've been agonizing about getting a better router for several months now - this summer I have panels to cut and wainscotting to make etc.

Right now I have a chance at a Craftex sliding router table similar (I think) to the Grizzly G0528 with a Triton 3.25 hp plunge router. It's brand new but cheap because the legs got bent when someone ran a forklift into the table (no router mounted at the time).

Does anyone have experience with this, or a similar, sliding table - and, if so, can you tell me what your experience has been? In particular are sliding tables worthwhile for routing?

thanks!

John Sanford
02-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Some folks over on the Green Kool-Aid forum have discussed this matter.

Mike Schuch
02-18-2015, 12:14 AM
I have a sliding table shaper and love it.! It is great for rail and style work. I would think a sliding table on a router table would be equally useful to one on a shaper but have never used one on a router table.

Doug Garson
02-18-2015, 1:07 AM
No comment on the table but there's a thread over at Canadian woodworking forum on the Triton router, sounds like one to avoid.

Jim Dwight
02-18-2015, 9:14 AM
I have never used a manufactured router table and I never plan to. I've made several and have two at the moment. One is in the extension table of my table saw. I made it first and still use it if I need two setup at the same time. It is just a thinned area of the melamine particle board of the extension table for a PC 690 fixed base, about a 3 inch hole in the extension table, and a fence that attaches with threaded knobs through the slot in the fence into t-nuts in the under side of the extension table. Simple, works fine. I made some doors using it before making my current table.

My main router table is based upon plans from American Woodworker for a height adjustment mechanism with the layout of the New Yankee Workshop router table. The top tilts up for bit changes. Height is adjusted with a knob on top.

I think a slider might be nice for making the coping cuts in the ends of rails but for most of what I do on a router table, a sliding table would just be in the way. I have a coping sled for the rails which works fine.

My recommendation is to stop looking at manufactured router tables and build one yourself. It will be better and probably cheaper.

Joe Cowan
02-18-2015, 10:07 AM
I have had a Norm style router table for many years that I build when I first started this hobby. Although it has served me well, I have longed for a more advanced fence system and could not find what I wanted to adapt to the size of the top of my table. Yesterday I ordered the Incra super system with the table, wheels and Mast R Lift. I even ordered the new DC cabinet that attaches to the bottom of the table and enclosed the router. Bling for my shop!!

rudy de haas
02-18-2015, 4:53 PM
Yes, I 've read the festool group's comments. Not terribly helpful...

Rich Riddle
02-18-2015, 5:55 PM
Rudy,

I don't have experience with a sliding router table but own a MiniMax slidng shaper. Many consider the two tools almost interchangeable for many cuts. I prefer the sliding table to the non-sliding versions. I get cleaner or crisper results with it. That said, I use tools to make up for a lack of skills. Many can utilize lesser quality tools and get similar results.

Keith Weber
02-19-2015, 3:24 PM
Yes, I 've read the festool group's comments. Not terribly helpful...

LOL! It's a little like being at a cult meeting over there.

rudy de haas
02-19-2015, 6:13 PM
Whaaaaaaa Busybeetools turned down my offer on the table. On the plus side they had the CX-104 14" bandsaw on sale - its like the G9970 (?) from many years ago: cast iron everything, 216 pds, 7" resaw, 110/220 motor for $625 canabucks (about $500 us right now). No fence (I bought a kreg for $125.) I just finished assembly and have one bolt and two set screws left over.. but it all works.

Meanwhile the table goes into their anual "garage sale" and I'll try to get it then - maybe try to build a cabinet to put the sliding top and tilt aseembles on while throwing the damaged legs away?

Earl McLain
02-19-2015, 7:01 PM
Bling for sure!! My equivalent of the Super System was purchased in stages over a few years, and it works very well for what i do. No lift, but my plate is drilled for the Bosch 1617 access hole (though i usually just use the fine adjust knob on the router). Good luck, obviously pictures will be required on delivery!!

earl

glenn bradley
02-19-2015, 7:20 PM
The value of a slider on your shaper or router table will vary with what you do. The table only slides so far (I couldn't find anything on the length of travel) so anything within that capacity, rail and stile come to mind, should be great. I assume the table lock for edge profile routing and longer groove and rabbet work. I do short work on the router seldom and so just built a sled for that work. Of course, I have to store the sled when its not in use and you would not so . . . you got that going for you ;-) Think about what you will be doing and if you will want the slider more often than not, I would go back during the sale and see if you can snag it. Good luck.

David Delo
02-19-2015, 8:06 PM
I have had a Norm style router table for many years that I build when I first started this hobby. Although it has served me well, I have longed for a more advanced fence system and could not find what I wanted to adapt to the size of the top of my table. Yesterday I ordered the Incra super system with the table, wheels and Mast R Lift. I even ordered the new DC cabinet that attaches to the bottom of the table and enclosed the router. Bling for my shop!!

Joe,

IMO, you will be very pleased with the Incra system. I've been building on mine for a couple years now and just recently replaced a older Woodpeckers Quick-Lift with a PRL-V2 lift. About the only thing left to upgrade for me is getting a set of the Clean Sweep rings. Even without them, dust collection is outstanding. Here's a couple pics.