PDA

View Full Version : New Skill Saw

Richard Gillespie
07-28-2005, 5:15 PM
Went out on a job site and started cutting dado's for shelving. What in the world, my skill saw was cutting 1/4" kerfs. I looked at it and since it was old and there was some sloop on the blade I figured the blade end bearings were gone. Did a search on this site for comments on what to buy and went out the next morning and bought a new saw. The Hitachi I bought wasn't on anyones recommended list but it had many of the features quoted for nearly $50 less the the recommended models. It's quieter and lighter than my old saw and a joy to use. So much for wanting to buy American.

A few days latter, I picked up the old saw to chuck it but wait a minute, the sloop isn't that bad, what's wrong? What do you mean the blade is bent? When did that happen? I don't remember dropping it. Well I guess I now have two skill saws. It's a good thing in a way, the rip fence I bought for the B&D saw doesn't fit the Hitachi. Still, a one man shop with two skill saws? :confused:

Andrew Ault
07-28-2005, 5:30 PM
You can now cut double fisted. Won't that improve efficiency!

I've been accumulating random orbit sanders. I guess I'm preparing for the Great ROS Shortage of 2005.

I had an old Ryobi one. Wore it out and threw it in the 'can. Bought a Porter Cable refurb. Works Ok. Got married and wife came with a Makita 1/4 sheet sander. Bought a 6" Ridgid for the speed. It's the one I now use all the time. Hooked up to my Shopvac, it kicks posterior and leaves no dust trail.

Then, got a free one when I bought a Dewalt plate joiner, on sale. The Dewalt one has the best dust collection thingy because the dust bag adapter is also the vac adapter. Unused. Just sort of looks at me from its plate joiner case when ever I use biscuits.

But, I AM ALL SET for the ROS shortage to come. Oh boy!

:)

Bill Lewis
07-29-2005, 6:15 AM
Years ago I upgraded my saw from a pretty good B&D to the top of the line DeWalt. I kept the old saw for cutting things like vinyl siding, masonry board, metal whatever. All the trashy dirty jobs.

BTW, my wife hated the old B&D saw. It scared her. It was prone to kickback. She will however use the DeWalt. More power, smoother, and more stable. I don't think I've ever had a kickback with it.