PDA

View Full Version : Possibly interesting article for instrument builders

Curt Harms
02-15-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm not an instruement builder but I know there are ongoing discussions about what makes Strativarius violins sound like they do. Here's an article, take it for what it's worth.

Violin-fiddling boffins learn that 'F-HOLES' are secret to Stradivarius' SUPERIOR sound Acoustic dynamics of stringed instruments nailed

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/15/violin_acoustics_f_holes_mit/

george wilson
02-16-2015, 9:24 AM
Every several years someone rediscovers the secret of Stradivari. I have noticed this repeatedly over several decades of violin making.

Since nearly everyone copies Strads,including his F holes,I wonder why their violins are not equal? I know the size of the holes affect tone. Back in the 60's I experimented with making larger sound holes in guitars. I found that increasing the sound hole a little,emphasized the bass sound range.

As to the thicker backs adding power,I am not surprised. I recently made a guitar with a heavily braced back. It was a real cannon. For many years I have made the backs of my guitars thicker than usual. Flamenco guitars sort of have a "flabby" tone if their backs are too thin.

John Coloccia
02-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Every several years someone rediscovers the secret of Stradivari.

Pretty much. I'll also add that in the handful of listening tests they've done, modern violins are always preferred, and no one can reliably pick out the Strads.