PDA

View Full Version : Want a LV plane or 2

Richard Hutchings
02-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Laid up from shoulder surgery and doing some shopping.
Here's what I currently own.
#7 Transitional
#6 Stanley
#5 Stanley with a welded crack that works very well.
3 #4s 2 Stanley don't remember the other
#3 Stanley very nice
#78 Miller Falls without a fence.
Wooden 1/4" plow plane
Wooden 3/8" round
3 brass finger planes curved and flat.

I want plane that's perfectly square for shooting
Bevel up cause I don't have one.

I also want to be able to cut raised panels but I don't want a dedicated plane for it unless I find something really cheap.

So I'm looking at Veritas #5 BU for shooting and general planing tasks perhaps smoothing as well. I can leave a heavy camber on my other #5 for rough work.

For raised panels I'm considering the Veritas skewed rabbit. Left hand only. Not sure how well this will work against grain.

I also don't have a shoulder plane or router plane. I may buy them used.

Jim Koepke
02-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Richard,

My bum shoulder is why my low angle bevel up Jack was purchased for shooting tasks. Mine happens to by an LN #62, LV has an appropriate equivalent.

Depending on how fancy you want to be with your raised panels you may find all you need is a good rabbet plane to go with what you have.

Just yesterday the local PBS station aired the Woodwright's Shop episode Raising Panel Zona. It is available at:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2292074921/

He is of course showing specialty planes for this, but also a few common planes along with "fruit for thought."

For my wife's tea cabinet, the door panel was raised using a Record #778 rabbet plane and a Stanley #6. A few things were learned to try on the next one. That will likely be in a week or two after my potting bench project is finished. There are also a few other things that need attention around here this time of year.

Not sure what else you have at hand. You may want a mortising chisel if you are going to make frame and panel doors you will need to make the frames.

Many of the straight cutting rabbet planes are made so the fence to be set on either side enabling the plane to be used with the grain.

Hoping your shoulder gets well soon.

Do not be lax on your physical therapy. Those exercises are necessary for your shoulder to get back in to shape.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
02-15-2015, 1:54 PM
I have the LV skew rabbet. It works fine against the grain.
Fred

Richard Hutchings
02-15-2015, 2:15 PM
I saw that show this morning and have it saved. "straight cutting rabbet planes" make sense for having the fence on either side. I'll consider this.
I'm determined to do all the PT as I want to get back to wood working as soon as possible.:)
Thanks

Richard Hutchings
02-15-2015, 2:18 PM
That's encouraging. Thanks for the response.
Now I'm undecided on the skewed one sided fence and the straight fence on either side.

Fred

Richard Hutchings
02-15-2015, 2:42 PM
Pulled the trigger on the BU Jack and the Skewed rabbit with fence. Been looking at these in my cart for two days and that's all I can stand. Just waiting for my new toys to show up at my door.:D

This clinched it for me.
"Frederick Skelly
Fred"

Frederick Skelly
02-15-2015, 4:54 PM
Im glad it helped Richard. I have to ultimately credit Chris Griggs. He convinced me to get this one at the same time I got my LV Plow. As usual, I found Chris really knows his stuff.

Enjoy!
Fred

Chris Hachet
02-16-2015, 8:43 AM
I think a Low Angle Jointer might be a good addition also. It would use the same blade as the Jack, (IIRC) and would work better than the transitional IMHO.

glenn bradley
02-16-2015, 9:18 AM
I shoot with the LV LA Jack and have been very happy. I think you will be too.

Richard Hutchings
02-16-2015, 12:11 PM
I would love nothing better than to buy a #7 as well but that's enough LV buying for now. I'll just have to see if I have a need for it in the future.

Chris Hachet
02-16-2015, 12:49 PM
I would love nothing better than to buy a #7 as well but that's enough LV buying for now. I'll just have to see if I have a need for it in the future.

Keep us posted on the Low angle jack, it is one sweet piece!

paul cottingham
02-16-2015, 1:02 PM
Bevel up Jack will make you very happy indeed. Skewed rabbet is also a great tool. Large shoulder plane is a close third.

Richard Hutchings
02-16-2015, 4:19 PM
I was sooo tempted to add a shoulder planer to the mix. I was considering the medium. The large seems too big for anything I plan on doing.

Bevel up Jack will make you very happy indeed. Skewed rabbet is also a great tool. Large shoulder plane is a close third.

paul cottingham
02-16-2015, 5:43 PM
I was sooo tempted to add a shoulder planer to the mix. I was considering the medium. The large seems too big for anything I plan on doing.
I have both. I bought the medium first, and wished I'd bought the large. Much more mass for powering through levelling tenons, wider, too, so it makes tenons easier to get even. Bought the large later, and now my medium feels neglected.
of course, YMMV. They are both fantastic tools, and very useful.

steven c newman
02-16-2015, 6:37 PM
Lets see, on all the raised panel projects last year.....I used mainly a Millers Falls #9 and a Millers Falls #14, with a clean up by a M-F #1455 low angle block plane. A Rebate was run around on the "inside" of each panel with a Wards #78.

Shooting jig can be used with either a 9-1/2 block plane, a #14 jack plane, or a DE6c Fore plane. Just depends on what size board is being trimmed.

Happen to have a G. Roseboom 1/4" plough plane to make the grooves that the raised panels sit in.

There are a couple smoothers that get reached for....Mainly the #9s and a #8. There is a Stanley made Wards #3, and a York Pitch #3 by Dunlap,

Been using a few wood bodied planes, as a break from the iron ones. Have a couple 22" try plane/jointer planes. And will try to use a Stanley #122 Liberty Bell more often.

A few others help round things out, but these are the "main" ones...

Malcolm Schweizer
02-16-2015, 6:59 PM
You will love the bevel up Jack. I used one as a shooter for the longest time. I eventually got a dedicated shooter by LV, which I love, but the low angle jack is excellent and of course is a good jack plane too!

Richard Hutchings
02-20-2015, 3:10 PM
Now that I have this fine rabbit plane which I tried one handed. It worked great. I'm wondering if this can do the work of a shoulder plane. What would I be missing?

Jim Koepke
02-20-2015, 3:43 PM
Now that I have this fine rabbit plane which I tried one handed. It worked great. I'm wondering if this can do the work of a shoulder plane. What would I be missing?

Not sure what rabbet plane you have my answer can only be about the generalities. Shoulder planes tend to have a lower angle of attack for shaving end grain on the shoulder of a tenon. There narrow size with a tall body square to the sole make this task easy.

If you can do that with your plane or a chisel, then a shoulder plane may just be an added luxury.

jtk

Richard Hutchings
02-20-2015, 4:20 PM
This is a Veritas skewed rabbet.

Hilton Ralphs
02-20-2015, 7:13 PM

Just remember that the skew block plane's blade does not transverse the entire width of the sole like a shoulder plane does. It's also a lot wider than even the largest shoulder plane so I think it would be less stable when trimming purely tenon shoulders but why not just try it out and see?

Richard Hutchings
02-21-2015, 5:23 AM
This is not a skew block it's a skew rabbet so the blade is as wide as the sole. I'll try to fool with it a little today but I really have to be careful until my shoulder heals from surgery. My thought after trying it yesterday, is that with the knicker removed, it turns into a very nice large shoulder plane. Maybe even better because of the skew, I'll have tenon faces that look like they're ready for display.:D I'm sure I'm missing something. Time and more experience will tell.

I should at least get a small one some day so I have something to compare and of course for smaller work.

All that aside, I can't wait to make my first raised panel with it. That's what I really bought it for.