PDA

View Full Version : Canon battery question

Raymond Fries
02-14-2015, 5:51 PM
I have a Canon Rebel XSi camera and want to get an extra battery. The after market batteries are half of what Canon wants for the LP-E5. Do you pay more for the Canon name? Are the after market batteries as good as OEM?

Thanks for your opinions.

Steve Schlumpf
02-14-2015, 6:00 PM
I have the Canon T1i and a couple of years ago picked up 2 batteries from Newegg. They were not the Canon brand but I figured I would give them a try because of the huge price difference. I use my camera a lot and to be honest - I never noticed a difference between OEM or after market batteries! Glad I got them!

John McClanahan
02-14-2015, 6:40 PM
I bought an extra battery for my 20d off of ebay. It weighs about 1/3 less than the Canon battery.

John

Myk Rian
02-14-2015, 8:06 PM
You are better off going to Amazon. I stay away from Ebay for items such as that. Many aftermarket batteries for Canon (especially video cams) do not have the chip in them that interacts with the camera to give accurate charge info. Hence a lower price.

Jim Matthews
02-15-2015, 8:59 AM
I have the Canon T1i and a couple of years ago picked up 2 batteries from Newegg. They were not the Canon brand but I figured I would give them a try because of the huge price difference. I use my camera a lot and to be honest - I never noticed a difference between OEM or after market batteries! Glad I got them!

+1 on NewEgg - my go to electronics purveyor.

John McClanahan
02-15-2015, 9:21 AM
You are better off going to Amazon. I stay away from Ebay for items such as that. Many aftermarket batteries for Canon (especially video cams) do not have the chip in them that interacts with the camera to give accurate charge info. Hence a lower price.

I checked amazon. There are plenty of knockoffs there, too.

Jim Becker
02-15-2015, 10:16 AM
While I prefer OEM batteries for my Nikon gear, I have had good results with a third party batteries, too. But you have to be really careful...there are a lot of, um...products resembling bovine excitement on the market. When I have bought third party batteries, I did it through a reputable camera store which for me is usually BH Photo. I read the reviews carefully. This is one thing I don't trust buying on Amazon including basing on reviews.

Raymond Fries
02-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the tips guys! Very good information from all.

I would reccomend BH Photo as well I bought all of my equipment form them and loved the customer service.

Ole Anderson
02-17-2015, 2:36 PM
All batteries are not created equal as far as longevity. The best I have found are from Blue Nook and are the Wasabi Power battery (with Japanese cells). Just got a couple of XA25 pro cameras for church, so we don't need them yet, but when we do, that is where I will go. They claim to have the chip. A Canon BP828 prices out at $124, the Wasabi BP828's are $33. They were the best of any we found in using our previous JVC cameras over 14 years.

Kent A Bathurst
02-17-2015, 3:12 PM
Oooops......wrong thread.

I thought maybe we were back on the Civil War, and the cannon battery at Ft. Sumter.

My mistake................carry on.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHTXG2XLwsNCifnCOzChWAFO0ZUToWb WLOH_aM71Nd1dSGpd8j

Raymond Fries
02-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Good one Kent.

LOL

Kent A Bathurst
02-17-2015, 10:56 PM
Good one Kent.

LOL

Well.........Raymond..........

I have to sheepishly give you an apology - I saw the subject and the camera name never occurred to me. I honestly thought you had misspelled the word.

Sooooo....after I clicked on it............well, I couldn't stop. Had to execute the mission, as it were.

Please accept my humble apology for doubting your spelling skills, and also - thanks for enjoying the joke.

Kent

:D :D

PS - I did think it was kind of funny, though - glad you appreciated it.

Raymond Fries
02-18-2015, 9:38 AM
Spelling skills here? :rolleyes: LOL. I am the king of tpyos? I usually try to get them before I post anything but sometimes it just does not happen.

Take Care and Enjoy Life...

Lee Schierer
02-18-2015, 11:54 AM
As my son said when I asked the same question, he replied do you want to risk a $500+ camera to save a few bucks on a battery. I purchased real canon batteries and they have performed well for over 4 years so far.

John McClanahan
02-18-2015, 1:03 PM
I don't know if a fake Canon battery could damage the camera, but I know the knockoffs I bought weighed about 1/3 less and had about 1/3 less capacity. The pair costs less then 1/2 of 1 genuine Canon battery. For me, I'm ok with it, this time.

Speaking of that, some of the fakes sure look a lot like the real thing, down to the small details. I compared my new ones to the old one. Don't decide if its real or fake on price alone.

John

Ole Anderson
02-19-2015, 8:31 AM
I have no qualms whatsoever using those $35 Wasibi batteries in our new $2500 Canon camcorders.

That being said, I bought a spare battery several years ago for my Canon T2i, it was an Opteka (also cells made in Japan). It claimed 2000 mAh (wt = 40 g) vs the Canon's 1120 mAh (wt = 45 g) yet it doesn't last as long as the Canon version. Blatant misrepresentation.

I found the Wasibis are available on Amazon Prime also. Over 1200 reviews, ave 4.3 stars, and these were for pro cameras. http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Canon-LP-E6N/product-reviews/B0041MY32Y