PDA

View Full Version : What's with this wood?!

Wade Lippman
02-14-2015, 5:05 PM
I have no idea what this wood is, or where it came from. It is from a turning block that has sat on a shelf for 5 or 6 years. I thought it was spalted cherry; the lighter part had the look and feel of cherry. (does cherry spalt?) It is about 4" high.
Originally everything above that line was the same color it is now. Above the line it was brown, about the same color as the darkest areas now, except for the pits which were about the same color they are now.
After turning it I put on BLO. The pits just drank it up. I made 5 applications before giving up. Then I put on 4 coats of varnish before giving up on that also; the pits just absorb everything.
That was about 2 months ago. It started fading until it got to be like the picture. Since it is lighter than it was a week ago, I don't think it is done.

So, what kind of wood is this, and why is it fading like this?

My wife loves it, so I guess I am happy, but wonder what is going on.

Lee Schierer
02-14-2015, 5:50 PM
It doesn't look like Cherry to me. I have seen cherry that is rotting get fragmented grain.

As far as soaking up your finish, let it dry for a day or two and then apply more finish. The pits should stop sucking up the finish if the previous finish is completely cured.

Bob Glenn
02-15-2015, 10:46 AM
I'm not an expert, but most of the cherry I've seen darkens as it ages.