PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Lighting

David Delo
02-14-2015, 1:52 PM
Got a Rockler gift card and was decided to try out their magnetic base LED light and use it on the lathe. Magnet base was very weak so I replaced it with one of a couple Harbor Freight round magnetic bases. Improved function greatly but really isn't long enough to use it well around the lathe. It does stay in place well and doesn't droop down and I like that it's battery powered. It will work well on the bandsaw or drill press.

Didn't want to spend 50 to 150 bucks on this so I tried out the Jansjo LED work lamp from IKEA that I've read some favorable reports about. It's $9.99 at the local store. Had to remove the base and drill 2 holes in the HF magnetic base covering but I think this is going to be a winner. Probably leave it in its pictured position for most work and then on the bed ways when used in conjunction with my hollowing system. Think I would still prefer a battery operated unit but it's slim and flexible enough to get around the front tool rest of the captured hollowing system.

I know this isn't a new discovery but if your looking for a less expensive route, think I'd give this one a couple thumbs up.

Thom Sturgill
02-14-2015, 2:32 PM
A guy in Atlanta was selling modified IKEA lamps for several years. I bought one about three years ago and another the next year when I saw him at a symposium. The first is so dim I have trouble telling when it is on and the second has trouble holding up its head.

I am now on a second lamp from Ken Rizza at woodturnerswonders.com Much brighter and while the first burned out Ken replaced it. I upgraded from the $70 lamp to the $125 version. Very heavy switched magnet, very long & strong gooseneck, and very bright light with the power switch on the head. Highly recommended. He also has a small gooseneck that sits on top of the headstock for general illumination that sells for $20. Its small enough to not be in the way, but gives good illumination for working on the outside. I keep the big lamp mounted on the back near the tailstock to either look in bowls and HFs or to highlight the upper edge better. Also works well for sanding issues.

Olaf Vogel
02-14-2015, 3:06 PM
Didn't want to spend 50 to 150 bucks on this so I tried out the Jansjo LED work lamp from IKEA that I've read some favorable reports about. It's $9.99 at the local store. Had to remove the base and drill 2 holes in the HF magnetic base covering but I think this is going to be a winner.

I use the IKEA lights a lot, but with a 250w (equivalent) compact fluorescent bulb in it. $10 light , $20 bulb. Insanely bright, cool and a wide spread. The color temperature is way off, but in his case doesn't bother me.

olaf

David Delo
02-14-2015, 3:43 PM
A guy in Atlanta was selling modified IKEA lamps for several years. I bought one about three years ago and another the next year when I saw him at a symposium. The first is so dim I have trouble telling when it is on and the second has trouble holding up its head.

I can imagine QC isn't the highest for a 10 dollar item but this one is pretty stiff and seems to be bright enough for what I was looking for. We'll see how long it lasts.

I am now on a second lamp from Ken Rizza at woodturnerswonders.com Much brighter and while the first burned out Ken replaced it. I upgraded from the $70 lamp to the $125 version. Very heavy switched magnet, very long & strong gooseneck, and very bright light with the power switch on the head. Highly recommended. He also has a small gooseneck that sits on top of the headstock for general illumination that sells for $20. Its small enough to not be in the way, but gives good illumination for working on the outside. I keep the big lamp mounted on the back near the tailstock to either look in bowls and HFs or to highlight the upper edge better. Also works well for sanding issues.

I've had my eye on that Aurora lamp for awhile but it seems every time the tool fund gets big enough. there always seems to be something more important that gets attention.

Thom Sturgill
02-14-2015, 4:31 PM
Both of the IKEA still work. I could probably brighten the older one by cleaning the lens. I often finish on the lathe and some overspray got to it. The weak neck is a problem. They were both stiff when I got them.

Pat Scott
02-15-2015, 4:26 PM
I bought an Ikea lamp a couple years ago after Cindy Drozda raved about them in a demo. I got a Harbor Freight magnet and drilled a couple holes to modify the base. I have it on the end of my tailstock which seems to work pretty well since it moves with the tailstock.

One day I noticed it wasn't very bright either, and tried cleaning the lens but that made no difference. That's when I realized the switch was flaky. I bought a new switch and viola, just like new. It was only a $3 switch and now it's starting to flake out too. I've considered the KJR Aurora and KJR Beacon lamp that Craft Supplies sells, but wow they're expensive.

Eric Gourieux
02-17-2015, 11:01 PM
I ordered the Aurora from Ken last week. Looking forward to putting it to use!

Reed Gray
02-18-2015, 1:01 AM
I traded Ken one of my robo rests for one of his lights. I love the on/off magnetic base. As for general use, I like it more as a spot light, like when I am cutting out my bowl blanks which have a compass scratch line for the circle, or for drilling the top recess to expand into. I can angle it down and watch the point of the drill into the center mark. I don't find it as handy for bright broad lighting, which is what I want when I am turning bowls. I used it today also, to see under my little bandsaw to adjust the blade guides after breaking a blade. It got in where the bigger lamps wouldn't go.

This is what I use for broad lighting:

http://www.bluemaxlighting.com/bluemax_floor_lamps_28_ctg.htm#42whtfloor

robo hippy