PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" plate glass

David Ragan
02-14-2015, 12:59 PM
I would like to have a couple pieces of 1/2" plate glass. Maybe 10x20". Any ideas?
for sharpening. Am using melamine now

Kent A Bathurst
02-14-2015, 1:13 PM
You might ask this question in the neander section - - there is a lot of detailed sharpening knowledge that runs around that track...........

I have 2 pcs of 1/2" x 4" x 24" that I got years ago, but I cannot remember where I got them.

Grant Wilkinson
02-14-2015, 2:10 PM
In my area, that would be a very pricey piece of glass. I get offcuts of granite counter tops for a few bucks. They are flat and work very well.

Lee Schierer
02-14-2015, 5:39 PM
Contact your local glass shops and ask about used glass. They sometimes get old glass from displays that they recycle for a lower price. It may have a few scratches.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-15-2015, 11:21 AM
I wanted on for the exact same thing, the local glass shop gave me a nice piece of 3/8" when I bought some glass for a cabinet. He said most glass is float glass now IIRK, but he knew exactly what I wanted. Works well.

Chuck Wintle
02-15-2015, 11:28 AM
I would like to have a couple pieces of 1/2" plate glass. Maybe 10x20". Any ideas?

you may want to look at a cheap granite block that is flat such as the one sold by lee valley.

Jerome Stanek
02-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Try a counter top place for a granite drop

Chuck Wintle
02-15-2015, 12:11 PM

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32526&cat=1,43513,51657

Jim Koepke
02-15-2015, 12:50 PM
My sharpening surface came from a monument maker (tombstone carver).

A 4'X~6" hunk cost me $25.

Made a tall saw horse for it and it works fine.

jtk

Matt Day
02-15-2015, 2:53 PM
Good idea Jim, I've been looking for a piece just that size. I'll call around to local tombstoners.

Kent A Bathurst
02-15-2015, 3:17 PM
My sharpening surface came from a monument maker (tombstone carver).

A 4'X~6" hunk cost me $25.

:eek:

The obvious questions:

1] How thick?
2] How many guys helped you carry it inside?
3] Have you figured out your inscription for when the day finally comes that slab is "re-purposed"? :p

I gotta believe you have already given your wife instructions for that long-off day................
Maybe a Bedrock #4 engraved at the top? Or turn the engraving sideways and you would have room for a #8?

Malcolm Schweizer
02-15-2015, 4:37 PM
Good day,

It's not as expensive as you might think. I found a lot of places online where you can order glass, but my issue was I live offshore so I ended up getting it from a "friend" who owned a glass company here for years and recently moved to Miami. My "friend" appears to have stolen my $240. :-0 So if you are in the US, you could go online and order any size and reasonable thickness and have it shipped to you. That might be your best bet, as you can get exactly the size you need. They also offer rounding, polishing, or sanding the edges for you.

I would be careful of using granite from a monument company if you're looking for dead-flat. I have seen a lot that aren't flat. That said, if you're just flattening plane blades I don't think you really need .00001" tolerance. As someone said already, however, Lee Valley sells a really nice granite plate that is dead flat. I think it weighs 80 pounds and has to be shipped freight.