PDA

View Full Version : Cutting 3/16" Cherry

dirk martin
02-14-2015, 12:40 PM
I have a gentleman that bought a bunch of 3/16 thin Cherry from me, as well as some 3/16" black walnut, and he says his laser can't cut either. He says he's never encountered this issue when he's purchased from other sources. I'd like to troubleshoot with him, and am hoping you folks can help direct me.

My wood is fully kiln dry to 8% or less, and I deliver it sanded on both sides, flat.
He also said the wood he got has started cupping, so I've asked if his studio is heated with forced air, or radiators.
I've asked him how many watts his laser is, and will report that when I find out.
Is there something in his laser that could be "wearing out", that I could point him to look at?

Scott Shepherd
02-14-2015, 1:32 PM
Find out the make and model of his laser, along with the wattage. If he will give you the speed and power settings he's using without success, it'll give this community a great chance of helping you solve it.

The short answer is, there's nothing wrong with your wood, but he might not have enough power, or might be doing something wrong, along with the fact that his laser tube could be going out (which would be a last guess).

Linda Mehlenbacher
02-14-2015, 1:40 PM
I can cut through a 3/16 piece of cherry easily - I have a 35 watt Epilog mini

Lee DeRaud
02-14-2015, 8:42 PM
My 25W ULS chews right through cherry and walnut up to 1/4". Not exactly a speed-demon, but nice clean cuts.
Can't imagine he's got anything less than that...I'd guess tube fade.

walter hofmann
02-15-2015, 2:58 PM
hi there
first I am cutting up to 6mm black cherry even knotted and black walnut with my 40w machine 70% power and 6to 9mm/s speed and no problem,
there is something wrong with his machine probably like the other comments the tube lost power or his focal distance is wrong.

greetings
waltfl

Wilbur Harris
02-16-2015, 5:16 PM
Deleted by Wilbur

Michael Kowalczyk
02-16-2015, 6:21 PM
it depends on what part of the lumber your plank is taken from outer is easy to cut but if it is quarter sawn from the center grain is tighter and harder. take a picture of the plank and post it here.

Jerome Stanek
02-16-2015, 6:23 PM
I don't know any solution at all other than it seems the laser is out of whack.

How would you put it back in whack

Wilbur Harris
02-16-2015, 7:53 PM
How would you put it back in whack

Well...tell me what's out of whack and give me a chance. I'll sure try!

:)

My post was clipped for good reason. Actually, that statement was made to sort of "lead into" what I was asking - which was seemingly not a good thing to do.

dirk martin
02-16-2015, 11:33 PM
it depends on what part of the lumber your plank is taken from outer is easy to cut but if it is quarter sawn from the center grain is tighter and harder. take a picture of the plank and post it here.

No can do....
He has them now.
I sent him 55 boards of cherry, and 40 walnut. He's telling me that he can cut thru none of them.
He's very trustworthy...so I don't doubt his honesty.
He hasn't replied to me yet with the settings he's using, but I'll post that here, when I find out.

Michele Welch
02-19-2015, 1:20 AM
Send me one of each and I'll be happy to try on my Rabbit Laser. I cut quite a bit of cherry so I'm not thinking I'd have a problem, but I'll be happy to help out.

Bert Kemp
02-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Have we found out what his machine and wattage is yet and what settings he's using. Were all pretty sure its his machine problems. But we can't help a lot till we have specifics .:confused:

dirk martin
02-19-2015, 12:39 PM
I've left my customer more than one email, and he hasn't replied.
He may be quite busy engraving photos, but I'm hoping he's figured out the problem.
If he replies, with more info, I will certainly post here.....

Bert Kemp
02-19-2015, 9:24 PM
Guess he's not to worried about it if he hasn't bothered to answer your email. People complain complain and you go out of your way to help and they can't even be bothered to reply:rolleyes:

I've left my customer more than one email, and he hasn't replied.
He may be quite busy engraving photos, but I'm hoping he's figured out the problem.
If he replies, with more info, I will certainly post here.....