PDA

View Full Version : Baseboard heater electric question

Quinn McCarthy
02-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Hi,

We bought 7' hydronic baseboard heater for to replace some heaters in the basement. The instructions say to not put it under a wall recepticles. every wall we have has one to three recepticles on it. There is no relspace to put one because of the receptacle location. Can we ignore part of the instructions?

Thanks.

Quinn.

Matt Day
02-14-2015, 1:22 PM
They put it there for a reason, likely so that they aren't sued if your house burned down.
I'm guessing they don't want their water pipe breaking and contacting the receptacles.
Your call.

Tom M King
02-14-2015, 1:45 PM
Don't breathe air. There's stuff in it that might kill you.

Lee Schierer
02-14-2015, 5:41 PM
I suspect that they are concerned that a cord from the receptacle could come in contact with the heater and melt the wires or the heat might be enough to melt the receptacle and cause a fire. You could always remove the receptacle, wire nut the wires inside and close off the box with a metal cover.

Dan Hintz
02-16-2015, 8:30 AM
I suspect that they are concerned that a cord from the receptacle could come in contact with the heater and melt the wires or the heat might be enough to melt the receptacle and cause a fire. You could always remove the receptacle, wire nut the wires inside and close off the box with a metal cover.

NEC code says receptacles every 10', the likely reason he has receptacles on every wall. I would contact the manufacturer and get their response... seems a bit odd to sell a product that wouldn't be useable in houses built to code since the late-70s.

Matt Marsh
02-17-2015, 9:24 AM
NEC code says receptacles every 10', the likely reason he has receptacles on every wall. I would contact the manufacturer and get their response... seems a bit odd to sell a product that wouldn't be useable in houses built to code since the late-70s.

Dan, It is actually a maximum distance of 12 feet. Art. 210.52(A)(2). SPACING. Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line of any wall space is more than 1.8m (6ft) from a receptacle outlet. Manufacturers usually provide optional factory designed and listed unit mounted receptacles at each end of the baseboard heaters in order to meet this code requirement, as per Article 424.9. e.g. If a 12' baseboard is installed, you would need one at each end.

Quinn McCarthy
02-17-2015, 9:27 AM
Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I will call the company and see what they say. Our 2 rooms we ware putting them in where a little over recepticled. We can cal and see.

Thanks

Quinn

Dan Hintz
02-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Dan, It is actually a maximum distance of 12 feet.

Too right, my bad. Tool ate to edit my response, evidently.

Kevin Bourque
02-17-2015, 1:14 PM
I have electric baseboard heat in my house. There are receptacles over the heaters in every room. 40+ years without a problem.

Charlie Velasquez
02-18-2015, 6:43 PM
Decide which wall. Go to the box remove the device, cap and tape the wires. Maybe even put a gasket on the box before closing it with a blank plate. If you ever decide to move the heater, reinstall the receptacle.

Myk Rian
02-18-2015, 7:44 PM
Decide which wall. Go to the box remove the device, cap and tape the wires. Maybe even put a gasket on the box before closing it with a blank plate. If you ever decide to move the heater, reinstall the receptacle.
Exactly what I was going to recommend.