PDA

View Full Version : Stanley half gallon Thermos

Moses Yoder
02-14-2015, 6:36 AM
This is one of my favorite possessions now, a Stanley Aladdin half gallon thermos. I will use it carefully, it is in mint condition. I found it at a local auction house and paid $22 for it plus the buyers premium and tax. I went home thinking I paid too much until I looked them up on ebay. In the pic it is the one on the right, my old one quart thermos is on the left for comparison. A premium example of quality American manufacturing. I will probably fill it with iced tea in the summer time. The perfect accessory for the woodworker.

John McClanahan
02-14-2015, 8:22 AM
I have both since the early '80s.They are in the same condition. A lifetime tool.

John

Steve Rozmiarek
02-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Always amazes me how well a real thermos actually works. My dad had one of those big ones for hot water when we were kids. Used it often when working in the cold on the ranch. I use one of the littler ones now but filled with coffee. They are expensive.

Jerome Stanek
02-14-2015, 10:29 AM
I have one and if I put hot water in the night before and don't put the stopper in the water is still hot the next morning. Friend of mine had the same one and it wouldn't keep coffee warm from 6 to noon. I told him to send it back and he got a new one that works like mine very good and if you think about it they are not that expensive for how good they are.

Mel Fulks
02-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Yes, they are good. I have reason to question their quality control. Bought one for my son and tested it and an old glass
lined thermos at the same time to compare....I'm a big tester. It quickly cooled down,guess it had a vacuum leak. Took it back to store and heard "how can it not work?". "Test it yourself,I want another one" Replacement was and is fine.

Mac McQuinn
02-14-2015, 12:43 PM
I had one of these extra large Stanleys years ago, given to me by my FIL who owned a trucking company. It was a bit different as it was all highly polished stainless steel and came with a mount for attaching the thermos to a piece of heavy equipment such as a backhoe or bulldozer. It still had the large cork insert to seal instead of a modern screw-on type top. For carrying, it was actually pretty cumbersome due to it's size and weight when filled. I believe it was from the mid to late 50's, perhaps a commemorative or presentation item due to it's size and appearance. I've never seen one like it since. Typically of the 1950's, it was very heavy and built to last.
Mac

Rich Engelhardt
02-17-2015, 6:23 AM
Stanley thermos, Zippo lighter, LL Bean boots, Schrade Old Timer & Smith and Wesson model 19.....

Things that just work...

Randy Red Bemont
02-17-2015, 7:00 AM
I've got the Stanley thermos and a LL Bean thermos from years past. Both work but the LL Bean will keep water hot much longer. I always preheat either thermos before adding my tea for the day. A good thermos is a great thing to have!

Red

Pat Barry
02-17-2015, 9:02 AM
This is one of my favorite possessions now, a Stanley Aladdin half gallon thermos. I will use it carefully, it is in mint condition. I found it at a local auction house and paid $22 for it plus the buyers premium and tax. I went home thinking I paid too much until I looked them up on ebay. In the pic it is the one on the right, my old one quart thermos is on the left for comparison. A premium example of quality American manufacturing. I will probably fill it with iced tea in the summer time. The perfect accessory for the woodworker.

I had one of the larger ones, its probably lost in my garage somewhere. I was always disappointed that it didn't keep coffee as hot as the smaller ones. Must be the larger volume means more surface area to lose the heat. I never used it for cold drinks.

Mel Fulks
02-17-2015, 9:58 AM
Seeing the comments of Pat and Randy ,and thinking of the defective one I bought ,wondering if there really are some
quality control problems. The one I bought did not leak to the outer vacuum area ,which I think would happen with a seal failure, maybe some of them just don't get enough vacuum drawn.