PDA

View Full Version : Eye opener

jared parson
02-14-2015, 12:41 AM
I know this has been a topic brought up from time to time, but I had an experience tonight in my shop that I feel obligated to share. I've been turning for roughly nine years or so. I've had pieces blow apart, bowls come off, etc....I never used a face shield until about 15 months ago. Tonight I had a piece break off and hit me directly in the face. Ive never taken a direct hit before. Had I not had that shield on, I don't want to think about what may have happened. The piece came from a glue block (square, not round which was my own stupid fault) about 1/2 x 3/4 x 4" at 1200 rpm. Just wanted to share, for those who do not use a shield, consider it. I got one of those bionic face shields for around $30 on amazon, worth every penny after tonight. For that price there's no reason not to use one. Be safe out there everyone.

Roger Chandler
02-14-2015, 7:11 AM
Glad you are okay, Jared! My Bionic faceshield saved my bacon once...........my Trend Airshield pro did on another occasion when a chunk of sycamore just came off the large blank I was turning...........scary stuff!

I have learned to check and double check things due to the mishaps, and can say that I have eliminated most of the issues with a piece coming off the chuck jaws, etc, but once in a while a piece of wood will surprise us.........I am not sure if all risk can be eliminated all the time, but we can minimize the risk down to a pretty safe level!

charlie knighton
02-14-2015, 7:12 AM
glad you are ok, jared

James Combs
02-14-2015, 4:44 PM
+1 0n using the Bionic face shield. Glad you weren't hurt!