PDA

View Full Version : Pneumatic Nailers -- Need Help Choosing

tony roth
07-28-2005, 12:58 PM
I need to purchase a set up for pneumatic nailing. I need the set up to be able to handle the following:

1. Building jigs, sometimes in cases where i might need to remove the nails/pins, so relatively lightweight, maybe 23 gauge?

2. Installing trim, including crown, base board and chairrail moldings, so probably something around 18 gauge?

3. building cabinets (mainly built in book cases), probably either 15 or 16 gauge, not sure which one would be better?

4. stapling, for upholstery and other random tasks.

My questions are as follows:

1. What gauge nailer should I purchase for each of the above tasks?

2. What type of compressor do i need. I see that P&C makes one that outputs 90psi, is that sufficient for all of these tasks?

3. Should I purchase all of the nailers/compressor from one company, or will i generally be able to use anyone's compressor with any company's nailers?

4. What comany(ies) make the best products in this category?

5. If the answer to 4 is not P&C, do they nevertheless make fine tools in this category; they seem to offer some very attractive packages; haven't been able to find other companies (other than dewalt, which i generally steer away from) offering similar packages.

I know the questions posed are basic and numerous, but i'm a bit lost and could really use some help.

thanks much, tony.

Michael Perata
07-28-2005, 1:18 PM
I use PC nailers. They are good and relatively inexpensive. When I made a living trimming my custom houses I bought Senco. They both use the same style nail.

I have four guns in my shop.

I have a 15ga nailer for heavy trim - crowns, bases, casings

I have an 18ga for lighter items

I have a 23ga pinner for when I don't want the hole to show

I have a 1/4" narrow crown stapler for attaching plywood cabinet backs.

I would recommend starting with an 18ga gun and then getting a 15ga.

Eddie Watkins
07-28-2005, 2:13 PM
Senco seems to be the ones most pros use. I have Stanley Bostitch 18 and 15 gauge finish nailers and like them fine. Both use multiple length nails ranging from 5/8" to 2" or so. I bought the 15 gauge first and liked it fairly well but it would split the wood if I got to close to the edge or was using thin pieces so I got the 18 gauge and it seems to have corrected the problem. I still use the 15 gauge mostly because the nails are stronger. I have a PC portable pancake compressor that is several years old that has been very servicable but it is really noisy and fairly heavy. It is portable in the sense that you can move it, but it is not light by any standard.

Dan Stuewe
07-28-2005, 3:51 PM
I'll answer what I can (or at least what I have an opinion on)

2. Installing trim, including crown, base board and chairrail moldings, so probably something around 18 gauge?

Really should go for 15 gauge here (16 would be okay, but is kind of a tweener)

3. building cabinets (mainly built in book cases), probably either 15 or 16 gauge, not sure which one would be better?

This is where the 18 or 23 gauge would be used (except to attach to the walls, go with the 15 gauge from above).

I have a PC brad (18 guage) nailer and a Bostich 15 gauge nailer. Both have been great for my trim work (at my house and a friend or two). The Bostich is nice since you don't have to oil it. I also got it cheaper on ebay (factory refurb).

As for compressors...I borrowed my dad's little no-name brand compressor(something used for blowing up tires/balls/matresses) for doing crown in my brother's house (used my 15 gauger nailer). It worked fine for me. Plenty of pressure and no problem keeping up with one gun. All you need is the right fittings and even my dad's had the right quick-disconnect fitting for my guns.

Doug Cowan
07-28-2005, 5:03 PM
I bought the P-C brad nailer/compressor package. It was a good deal at the time and I have been very happy with it. When I have needed other guns, such as a P-C framing nailer and a Bostich roofing nailer, I went with reconditioned. The Bostich had a couple of cosmetic scratches, but both have worked fine. Amazon and ToolKing both offer reconditioned tools. I am not sure I would go that route if I was making my living off these guns, but they have tackled every home improvement project I have thrown at them.