PDA

View Full Version : Custom request by a retail business

Tim Boger
02-13-2015, 5:51 PM
I have been asked be a friend in a retail lighting business if I could provide the wood center piece of the Chandelier, I have a Jet 14 42 and the customer suggests this piece is nearly 40 inches long ... not sure I can make it in one piece.

How would you guys that do commercial turning do this and how much would you charge? I may sub it out, there may be 2 required.

Thanks,
Tim306866

John Keeton
02-13-2015, 6:02 PM
Looking at the pic, it doesn't appear to be 40", but if it is I doubt you can turn it in one piece. That said, it probably is at least two separate pieces on the fixture as the band has to be installed. The top portion has been drilled and perhaps the bottom, as well. Drilling the top will require even more bed length if it is drilled on the lathe.

There are detail points where multiple pieces could be joined without showing. I would think the logistics would require a lot more time than the actual turning.

Tim Boger
02-13-2015, 7:07 PM
Hi John,

I hadn't had any time to review the conversation I had and the picture I was sent .... I think you're correct in that it probably is not 40" long.

If you or others here might be interested in this project feel free to PM me.

Thanks,
Tim

Paul Williams
02-13-2015, 7:13 PM
The total fixture length may be 40 inches although as John said it does not look like it is that tall. The wooden part is considerably less than the total height. I would think that there would be a joint under the band to allow for a cavity to run the wires to the individual stems. If connections are made in that cavity you will have to check the electrical code to determine if a noncombustible box is required. Also the wood portion may not be suitable from a structural standpoint. I would suspect that a commercial version would have a pipe running form top to bottom. I would drill the hole through the blank and then use the ends of the hole to center the turning.

charlie knighton
02-13-2015, 7:53 PM
you probably need to find someone with one of these...see photo

I do not do comminsion work, but you might contact John Lucas on the AAW board, he is out of Cookeville tenn , but may be moving....he is in transition phase of his life, he could help you with pricing and do a excellent job

as Paul said the wires to those candles would be the tricky part......that's a bunch of candles....it might be 40 inches .....contact John

Thom Sturgill
02-13-2015, 8:01 PM
I agree on the pipe. I would probably use two sides glued together with a routed or sawn groove to hold the pipe. The bottom piece is surely a separate piece held on by the ring attached to a nut.

Tim Boger
02-13-2015, 8:16 PM
Thank you gentlemen for your feedback, there is no question that this is out of my comfort zone.

When I get more specific information I'll give this further thought, perhaps in the mean time I'll see if I can get in touch with John Lucas.

Tim