PDA

View Full Version : Summer climate control for my shed shop?

Michael Yadfar
02-13-2015, 5:48 PM
Spring is hopefully on it's way, and I am not prepared for the higher humidity and higher temperatures. My shed shop is insulated, and still needs a little bit of work around the doors, but Im still able to keep it heated. For heat, I've been using a portable electric oil heater, which has worked pretty well. It keeps the shop heated at 55 on 600 Watt mode when I'm not in there, and 70 when I'm im there one either 600 Watts high or 1600 Watt mode.

I live in southeastern Pennsylvania, so I don't get tropical weather, but I still want to keep my tools protected. My shed shop is only 9x16, so it's not that hard to control the environment. Im a little concerned about hot days followed by cool nights causing condensation, and the higher summer humidity. I do have paste wax on my cast iron surfaces, but it doesn't protect everything. Also, some finishes can't be used efficiently in higher humidity.

My first question is whether I should get an air conditioner or just a dehumidifier. If they run on similar efficiency and both help regulate humidity similarity, I would probably just air condition. Also, if I do air condition, I'm wondering what kind of air conditioner would best suit my shop. I was thinking of buying one of the portable single room units that has a tube you put outside.