PDA

View Full Version : Seven corners ace hardware out of business???

Clarence Martin
02-13-2015, 2:40 PM
I just read that online when I went to order a new catalog . I thought they were doing good. Surprised to see they sold out.

Quinn McCarthy
02-13-2015, 2:48 PM
Me too. Seems it is packed everytime I am in there. I stop there everytime I go to st. Paul for something.

Quinn

ryan paulsen
02-13-2015, 2:48 PM
The one by me in Des Plaines, IL is also closing

David Kumm
02-13-2015, 3:13 PM
i think they sold out a year or so ago. The buildings were sitting on some pretty valuable real estate. Dave

Jim Laumann
02-13-2015, 4:40 PM
yup - they closed in May of '14 (or close to it). THere was a bar/resturant and high end apartments going in the lot if my memory serves correctly. The owner made out on the sale, the employees - per a couple I spoke to got screwed.

Brian Henderson
02-13-2015, 6:33 PM
Lots of Aces are going under, I know the one near me died about 2 years ago, I just went to their website and there aren't any within 10 miles of me, there are only a handful beyond that. To get a decent number, you have to go out 50 miles.

Jon Nuckles
02-13-2015, 8:18 PM
I have fond memories of shopping there when I lived in the Twin Cities. Sorry to hear it is no longer there.

James Nugnes
02-13-2015, 10:22 PM
I always liked Ace. We have few left here as well....a real shame as none of the so called big box places can hold a candle even to the Ace Hardware stores we had. It is getting to the point where I shudder a little every time I hear the term Big Box. The one that was closest to me always had materials and tools at least one notch above what HD had. Not as much selection but seemed to always have at least one brand of everything I needed and always at least one notch above HD's best.

Brian Henderson
02-14-2015, 3:48 PM
I always liked Ace. We have few left here as well....a real shame as none of the so called big box places can hold a candle even to the Ace Hardware stores we had. It is getting to the point where I shudder a little every time I hear the term Big Box. The one that was closest to me always had materials and tools at least one notch above what HD had. Not as much selection but seemed to always have at least one brand of everything I needed and always at least one notch above HD's best.

We had an independent hardware store literally right up the street that, while they didn't have the selection, if you needed something weird that the big box stores didn't carry, they usually did because they aimed their inventory at the needs of the people in the neighborhood, not the generic selection you get at Lowes or HD. Of course, when both a Lowes and a Home Depot went in less than a mile from the store, they were gone, they just couldn't compete.

David Kumm
02-14-2015, 5:32 PM
The new type stores are what I call " Hardware for Tourists ". Dave

Andrew Joiner
02-14-2015, 6:22 PM
I had 2 different shops within walking distance of 7 Corners Hardware in the 70's and 80's. The owner would greet all the regulars by name. It had a distinct aroma. Nothing like the smell of a real hardware store. Many of the tools I still work with came from there.