PDA

View Full Version : Veritas quick release front vise.

Reinis Kanders
02-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Lee Valley is having a free shipping again and I am about to finish my secondary bench. Time to move my vises around and get another one:)
I am trying to decide if Veritas quick release works ok with Roubo style bench top without apron, otherwise I will just get one of their steel quick release front vises.

Any guidance, opinions about those two vises? Who makes the steel vise that Lee Valley sells?

Thanks.

Jeff Considine
02-13-2015, 2:04 PM
I have one mounted to the bottom of my roubo-ish bench, no apron just screwed into the bottom. Vice works great. Only thing I might do differently is mount the vice inside of the leg so I had better support on the outside corner, but it's not that much of an issue given the thickness of the top of my bench.

Maurice Ungaro
02-13-2015, 4:57 PM
You will certainly hear no complaints from me about ANY Lee Valley product. However, for your Roubo bench, you might be better served with with of these two instead:
http://benchcrafted.com/ClassicLV.html
or
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=45114&cat=1,41659

My reasoning is this: the quick release is a fine product, and LV has upped the game with their iteration of it, but from my experience, those sliding bars that make up the structure prevent you from holding boards on end for most of the vise. The BC Classic is a great leg vise, and dead simple to install. On the other hand, staying with LV for their free shipping, and well...we all love LV, the Twin Screw Vise is a bang up option (cheaper too, than the QR). Not just for use as a tail vise, many mount it on the front. It allows you to hold boards on edge and on end. Plus, with two sizes, you have options for how much vise you want on the front of your bench.

Reinis Kanders
02-13-2015, 5:43 PM
Maurice, thanks for ideas.

My bench is Roubo style, but top is only lag bolted to the legs, so I am not sure if leg vise will work well. I also only have less than 3 feet of open space in the front of my bench so twin screw or leg vise would get in a way too much.
I actually have twin screw as a tailvise, but I am not using it to its full potential (bench is near the window), so I am moving it to be a face vise on my secondary bench for dovetailing, etc. I am currently using Jorgensen for face vise, but its QR is sticky, therefore I am pondering its potential replacement. Veritas quick release looks good, but pricey and I am not sure if it can withstand me pounding on it while mortising. Jorgensen has held up well in that regard, its QR was sticky from the day one. I kind of like mortising in vise because of the way it forces me position myself in-line with the bench.