PDA

View Full Version : LV has free shipping again . . .

Frederick Skelly
02-12-2015, 9:35 PM
No affiliation. Just wanted to make sure you got word.

Guys, that doggone thread about "which premium plane would you buy" is stirring me up again. I need that $250 Low Angle Jack like a hole in the head. But I got the BU Jointer a couple Christmases ago. And the BU Smoother this past Christmas. And this WOULD complete the set. And I DO have the gift money.

... But I already have a #5 Frankenplane that works just fine, even with a $3 Buck Brothers blade in it. And a #6 Bedrock for shooting. And Id really like a Grammercy saw. And I really would enjoy rust hunting to find a better #5. And my plane till is completely full.

But Ive always admired that Low Angle Jack...

........... heeelllllppp meeeeeeeee. Im falling further down the sloooooope!

Reinis Kanders
02-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Go for it. I mostly use mine on shooting board or when cleaning up dovetail endgrain, it works well for that.

Tom M King
02-12-2015, 10:14 PM
Funny how my shopping cart there grows between free shipping days.

Chris Hachet
02-13-2015, 8:01 AM

Guys, that doggone thread about "which premium plane would you buy" is stirring me up again. I need that $250 Low Angle Jack like a hole in the head. But I got the BU Jointer a couple Christmases ago. And the BU Smoother this past Christmas. And this WOULD complete the set. And I DO have the gift money.

... But I already have a #5 Frankenplane that works just fine, even with a $3 Buck Brothers blade in it. And a #6 Bedrock for shooting. And Id really like a Grammercy saw. And I really would enjoy rust hunting to find a better #5. And my plane till is completely full.

Their plow plane is really nice also...

Chris Hachet
02-13-2015, 8:02 AM
Funny how my shopping cart there grows between free shipping days.

Good, I want to see these people stay in business.

Frederick Skelly
02-13-2015, 8:09 AM
Their plow plane is really nice also...

Yeah, it sure is! Chris Griggs convinced me to buy that one last year. I love that tool. It cuts so beautifully. I keep hoping to tune my wooden dado planes to cut so nicely, but so far Im not there. (Harder to get that perfection in a cross-grain cut than a with-grain cut. But Im getting better.)

Maurice Ungaro
02-13-2015, 8:09 AM
Well thanks..dammit....
In all seriousness, the LA Jack is fantastic. I've got the LA Jointer and BU Smoother as well. Nice 3 plane system, with interchangeable blades.

Chris Hachet
02-13-2015, 8:13 AM
Well thanks..dammit....
In all seriousness, the LA Jack is fantastic. I've got the LA Jointer and BU Smoother as well. Nice 3 plane system, with interchangeable blades.

I tried the LA smoother and the LA joiner at the Columbus Ohio wood working show. The LA Joiner is going to be my next plane purchase, I think.

Almost afraid to try the LAJ, as I have two well tuned pre-war Stanley #5's that work well.

Maurice Ungaro
02-13-2015, 8:22 AM
I tried the LA smoother and the LA joiner at the Columbus Ohio wood working show. The LA Joiner is going to be my next plane purchase, I think.

Almost afraid to try the LAJ, as I have two well tuned pre-war Stanley #5's that work well.

Well, it's too late for me..SAVE YOURSELVES,

Will Boulware
02-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Of course they offer it now. I just received my order of inlay tools last week and don't get paid until the end of the month, so I'll miss this one. First world problems... :D

Prashun Patel
02-13-2015, 10:32 AM
But can your #5 Frankenplane double as a reasonable shooter? LAJ can. That's a fact, Jack.

Jeffrey Martel
02-13-2015, 10:58 AM

Clearly the solution here is to buy the LV shooting plane. I'm sure it would do a better job than the #6. Afterall, the #6 isn't low angle, now is it?

Frederick Skelly
02-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Owwww. You guys are killing me! :)

glenn bradley
02-13-2015, 12:52 PM
But I got the BU Jointer a couple Christmases ago. And the BU Smoother this past Christmas. And this WOULD complete the set. And I DO have the gift money.

I also have this trio and a couple extra irons. This gives me a multitude of bevels that are interchangeable among the planes. I got the LV LAJ first and followed up with the planes you already have so my experience was reversed. I have never been sorry that I have the LAJ; very versatile.

306844 . 306842 . 306843

Malcolm Schweizer
02-13-2015, 1:27 PM
Don't ask me to help. I will just drag you further into addiction. 306847

Maurice Ungaro
02-13-2015, 2:32 PM
I also have this trio and a couple extra irons. This gives me a multitude of bevels that are interchangeable among the planes. I got the LV LAJ first and followed up with the planes you already have so my experience was reversed. I have never been sorry that I have the LAJ; very versatile.

306844 . 306842 . 306843
Glenn, did you use Derek Cohen's tutorial to make the hotdog?

Joe A Faulkner
02-13-2015, 3:43 PM
The question is, how many wives will take advantage of the Lee Valley Wish List e-mail that gets forwarded to them for Valentine's day? Not much time left to start dropping hints. I'm thinking a set of paring chisels would make for a nice Valentine's Day gift. I wonder if my wife would like a set?

Maurice Ungaro
02-13-2015, 4:44 PM
Wives LOVE chisels! Particularly sets of long paring types. Go for it.

Frederick Skelly
02-13-2015, 4:51 PM
The question is, how many wives will take advantage of the Lee Valley Wish List e-mail that gets forwarded to them for Valentine's day? Not much time left to start dropping hints. I'm thinking a set of paring chisels would make for a nice Valentine's Day gift. I wonder if my wife would like a set?

Wrap them in red ribbons and attach a picture of the item you intend to build for her, for which you just must have the chisels to do the job. ;)

Frederick Skelly
02-16-2015, 8:26 PM
Well, thanks for helping my willpower guys. ("Yeah RIGHT!", says the bitter tool addict!) I need another plane like a hole in the head, but I just pulled the trigger on that Low Angle Jack. It was time for a fix, I guess.

Time to crawl back into my alley and wait for the tool high to hit.....

Dave Zellers
02-16-2015, 8:49 PM
One more week...

Be strong, Dave, be strong...:eek:

Somebody tie me to the mast! ....

Dave Zellers
02-16-2015, 9:44 PM
Oh crap, too late.

I just bought the Veritas bullnose plane which I've wanted since I was 6.

OK, maybe I left off a zero, but it's a ZERO! It has no value!

Then of course, I had the epoxy stick in my wish list so they made me buy that...

These people are evil. Pure evil.

BUT SO AM I! IT'S A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN!

If this were the 22nd century this would be on my door step NOW! OH, I was born too soon ...

:D

Bill Houghton
02-16-2015, 9:56 PM
If this were the 22nd century this would be on my door step NOW! OH, I was born too soon ...

:D

I suppose if it were the 22nd century that we're being promised, they would just transmit the code to your home 3-d printer, and it would emerge from the printer an instant later.

Oh, and we'd have jetpacks, but those are overdue.

Dave Zellers
02-16-2015, 10:05 PM
I suppose if it were the 22nd century that we're being promised, they would just transmit the code to your home 3-d printer, and it would emerge from the printer an instant later.
Oh, If only!

I could be downstairs playing with it already.

Instead, It will probably be FRIDAY for Heavens sake!

OY!

Richard Hutchings
02-17-2015, 6:20 AM
You think you've got it bad. Not only do I have to wait for my LV BU Jack and Rabbit planes, I won't even be able to use them until the doctor gives my shoulder the go ahead:eek: I guess I'll just stare at them.:rolleyes:

Hilton Ralphs
02-17-2015, 6:46 AM
During a free shipping event in early September last year, I placed a substantial (for me at least) order with Lee Valley. I think it was about $400 worth. Long story short, the parcel only arrived today due to local post office strikes and general incompetence.

I re-ordered a lot of the items from the missing order last week to take advantage of the free shipping as every dollar counts. Thankfully Lee Valley were behind in getting the orders out so they were able to remove the duplicates.

Great service as usual.

Frederick Skelly
02-17-2015, 6:52 AM
During a free shipping event in early September last year, I placed a substantial (for me at least) order with Lee Valley. I think it was about $400 worth. Long story short, the parcel only arrived today due to local post office strikes and general incompetence.

I re-ordered a lot of the items from the missing order last week to take advantage of the free shipping as every dollar counts. Thankfully Lee Valley were behind in getting the orders out so they were able to remove the duplicates.

Great service as usual.

Man, thats a long time to wait for a shipment. Ive been meaning to ask - so you decided not to place the monster order you were considering when they had free shipping after Christmas? You were about to go fishing and showed us some gorgeous pictures of the water.

Take care,
Fred

Maurice Ungaro
02-17-2015, 7:19 AM
Well, thanks for helping my willpower guys. ("Yeah RIGHT!", says the bitter tool addict!) I need another plane like a hole in the head, but I just pulled the trigger on that Low Angle Jack. It was time for a fix, I guess.

Time to crawl back into my alley and wait for the tool high to hit.....
Frederick, great choice! You will love that plane, I guarantee it. I need to make a hotdog and an angled shooting board for mine.

Hilton Ralphs
02-17-2015, 7:23 AM
Fred, I did place that order. I have a free shipping abuse problem it seems. The fishing was incredible, even managed to catch some lobster and turtles (but not by choice). On the way back we were stranded for 24 hours due to severe flooding and four rivers had burst their banks and plenty of big rigs were overturned trying to get across the bridges.

For last week's order, I placed it and then only later after looking at what I'd ordered did I realise that I had added a replacement blade for the Stanley #80 scraper. I already have two (one ordered in the December free shipping) but don't ask why I have five of those scrapers.

Chris Hachet
02-17-2015, 7:25 AM
Fred, I did place that order. I have a free shipping abuse problem it seems. The fishing was incredible, even managed to catch some lobster and turtles (but not by choice). On the way back we were stranded for 24 hours due to severe flooding and four rivers had burst their banks and plenty of big rigs were overturned trying to get across the bridges.

For last week's order, I placed it and then only later after looking at what I'd ordered did I realise that I had added a replacement blade for the Stanley #80 scraper. I already have two (one ordered in the December free shipping) but don't ask why I have five of those scrapers.

They seem like a highly useful tool.

Hilton Ralphs
02-17-2015, 7:56 AM
They seem like a highly useful tool.

Indeed! I'm going to set them up with sharpened at 45, some with and some without a burr and see what happens.

Brett Luna
02-17-2015, 2:01 PM
Perfect timing for free-ish* shipping. Today is my birthday and The Wife® gave me a Lee Valley gift card. I guess dropping hints the size of bricks helps.

No planes this time. Just a few doo-dads: a couple of cranked-neck chisels, Japanese files, flush-cut saw and plug cutters, etc. Now if only they'd had the spokeshave set in stock...

*Not really free for us Alaskans. But the shipping credit they give us brought it down to a very nice US$4.93

Hilton Ralphs
02-17-2015, 3:27 PM
Now if only they'd had the spokeshave set in stock...

I'm waiting for those to come with V11 blades by default.

Brett Luna
02-17-2015, 3:50 PM
I'm waiting for those to come with V11 blades by default.

That, far and away, would my preference as well. I wonder if a plan is in the works.

John Sanford
02-18-2015, 3:02 AM
While there are a few (okay, more than few) items lurking in my cart and hanging around on my wishlist, I don't think any of my money will be heading to Lee Valley this time around. I just got the last of my items from the last free shipping event (2 pair of NWS pliers that were backordered).

I'm stashing my pennies for the hoped for SawStop promotion this March or April. There's a 3hp PCS waiting to get into my shop. Next Free Shipping event will likely allow me to clear some of the stuff from my cart and wishlist though...

Justin Coon
02-20-2015, 2:36 PM
I also gave in (again!) and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a spokeshave and router plane along with other assorted accessories. Had them shipped to my work so I don't have to explain to SWMBO...plus I wouldn't want something valuable left on my doorstep.

Frederick Skelly
02-25-2015, 9:12 PM
Frederick, great choice! You will love that plane, I guarantee it. I need to make a hotdog and an angled shooting board for mine.

Maurice, you and everyone else who told me about this tool were right. What a great tool! For fun, I used it side by side with my #5 Frankenplane. The bevel up plane cuts smoother and feels more comfortable to me.

Now I need to make a hot dog handle too and compare this plane to my #606 to see which I prefer for shooting.

Fred

Maurice Ungaro
02-26-2015, 8:50 AM
Derek Cohen has a great tutorial on making a hotdog.

Frederick Skelly
02-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Derek Cohen has a great tutorial on making a hotdog.

Thanks for the tip!

Harold Burrell
02-27-2015, 7:30 AM
Can we change the name of this thread? PLEASE???

Every time I check this forum...and someone has replied to this thread since the last time I was on this site...it pushes the thread towards the top of the page. And EVERY TIME I see it I think, "Oh wow! LV has free shipping!"

And then...every time...I am disappointed...

(I'm sorry. I just needed to cry on someone's shoulder for a minute. I'll be okay.)

Maurice Ungaro
02-27-2015, 9:48 AM
Can we change the name of this thread? PLEASE???

Every time I check this forum...and someone has replied to this thread since the last time I was on this site...it pushes the thread towards the top of the page. And EVERY TIME I see it I think, "Oh wow! LV has free shipping!"

And then...every time...I am disappointed...

(I'm sorry. I just needed to cry on someone's shoulder for a minute. I'll be okay.)

Harold, I know…..help IS available!

Richard Hutchings
02-27-2015, 10:11 AM
He who snoozes...
:D I got mine.:D:D