PDA

View Full Version : Edge joining on a short jointer

Jesse Busenitz
02-12-2015, 7:48 PM
Any suggestions for supporting 16' boards on a 8" jointer? Seems like the support would have to be exactly the same plane/ level as the bed? I'm making casing/baseboard if that make any difference.

glenn bradley
02-12-2015, 8:02 PM
The good news may be double. You are correct in assuming that a jointer works by having a well controlled feed path as you describe. The other good news is that if you get one edge fairly decent (and perpedicular to the face), featherboards and a tablesaw may do the job for you. How wide is the material in it's finished form?

Jesse Busenitz
02-12-2015, 8:49 PM
It's baseboard and casing from 3" to 6", but it's oak that's going to get stained so I need a clean looking edge

Matt Day
02-12-2015, 9:42 PM
could you just cut the 16' lengths in half, and use a scarf joint or similar to make the two look like one?

Bill Orbine
02-12-2015, 10:59 PM
Two or three people. With 16' board, help is the best method. One man stands at machine and only feeds the materials. He stays there feeding the board. The help just supports only...not feed, push or pull.... just support. At the start with just two people, the help stands at back end to support board and then moves to other end when the board is just past 1/3 way thru cut. By time the help gets to other end, board should be about 2/3 way thru cut as the man at jointer continues feeding the board. The third person eliminates one person scooting back and forth. BTDT many times.

If board is badly bowed, chalk line and cut it straight as possible whatever means you have, like a bandsaw, before going to jointer.

Mel Fulks
02-12-2015, 11:34 PM
Bill,well described. Amazingly close to how I have described to helpers what they needed to do. Some can easily learn to feel the contact with machine and others are incapable of learning it.

Jim Matthews
02-13-2015, 7:03 AM
My mentor has done this, using angle iron to build extension rails for the infeed and outfeed.

306807 306808

glenn bradley
02-13-2015, 8:34 AM
My mentor has done this, using angle iron to build extension rails for the infeed and outfeed.

Now that's clever and easier to align than a free standing roller stands. Thanks!

Jesse Busenitz
02-13-2015, 8:35 AM
Jim, I like your wheel and bungee cord! Does that help keep it up against the fence?

Jim Matthews
02-13-2015, 9:03 PM
This is my mentor's design. He's clever.
I'm just smart enough to shop up with a camera.

The bungee allows him to tighten up for heavier loads, if needed.
The guy is cheap. I would spell it with a capital "C" but those cost more.

I still can't get over the quality of the furniture he makes with tools
I wouldn't consider buying (perfect miters with a harbor freight chop saw? You betcha.)

Dave Zellers
02-13-2015, 9:32 PM
Good tools are nice. Good tools are a joy even. But nothing will ever replace determination.