PDA

View Full Version : Some history on the Powermatic Model 66 needed

William Mark Dulken
02-12-2015, 7:36 PM
I am looking at a Powermatic model 66 table saw for sale on CL and I'm a little confused. The seller says it's an '03 year model, it's golden (not green), 3hp and made in Taiwan. Can someone list the chronological evolution of the 66? I thought it was discontinued when they went from made in USA to Asia and became the PM2000/3000. Also is $1500 a reasonable price if its used as little (about one year since purchased) as they say its been?

Jesse Busenitz
02-12-2015, 7:44 PM
I would think a '03 would be a 2/3000 model.... It all depends on the market where your at. I just bought a PM66 '93 that has seen some use but it also came w/ 11' beismeyer fence for 800$. Ask for any accessories that go with the deal.

Randy Henry
02-12-2015, 7:51 PM
On that model, the serial number will tell you what year it is. I have an 03, and it was made in the U.S. I am not home right now or I'd look. If I remember correctly, the first 2 numbers are the year.

Kent A Bathurst
02-12-2015, 8:54 PM
Green is older. 1970's, maybe into the early 80's. Then, all gold.

You can learn a bunch by going to vintagemachinery dot com. You need to smed a bit of time rummaging around to figure out how they have the info organized. There is one place that helps decode serial numbers.

Peter Quinn
02-12-2015, 9:18 PM
I don't believe the PM66 was ever made anywhere but the USA. Does it say PM66 on the serial number tag? They were made in Tennessee, not Tiawan. Mine is an early 2000's model, made in USA. I can't seem to figure out exactly when they released the PM2000 saws but it was a few years after I bought mine, and for a while they sold both concurrently till all the 66's were gone.

William Mark Dulken
02-12-2015, 9:58 PM
Here is a picture (very grainy) of the name plate on the saw that the seller sent me. I can make out the "model 66" and it looks like the 1st two digits of the serial number indicate it's an '03. Can anyone else make out the rest of the serial number or what it says right under Powermatic?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/Goosedog/securedownload.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Goosedog/media/securedownload.jpg.html)

David Masters
02-12-2015, 10:22 PM
When I enlarge the photo and sharpen it a little, it appears that it says "Made in USA" under PowerMatic. The serial number appears to be 03110661985.

William Mark Dulken
02-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Thank you David, your computer/photo skills are better than mine.

David Hendricks
02-13-2015, 7:44 AM
If I were you I would consider trying to find a later model 66, you will probably get a much better price, for $1500 you are getting into grizzly cabinet saw territory which will have a riving knife. You could offer less but the guy probably remembers well how much he paid for it.

David Kumm
02-13-2015, 8:03 AM
Also take a look at the motor to see if US. The US saws also had that very shiny top with the Blanchard swirls in it. More like a 1200 saw but still better than what followed after. Dave

Randy Henry
02-13-2015, 9:37 AM
Mine is an 03, but it has the American Flag on it, with the wording "Made in the USA." That one in the picture you have is an 03 too. As far as price, it's the market you live in. I see a lot of people say they wouldn't give more than 50% of what it costs new. Is that the current version, or what this guy paid for it? If it is the latter, I must live in an area that does not reflect that. People say they bought all this machinery at almost give away prices, but, I have never seen it myself. I put the MJ splitter system on my saw, and I while it's not the real riving knife, they do the job.

David Hendricks
02-13-2015, 11:34 AM
The deals are out there, but you need to check more than craigslist. EBay and auctions are great sources. In a four month period I bought a $75 pm65 and a $550 pm66. But if you are considering paying in that price range I would look at this Grizzly G0690 Cabinet Table Saw with Riving Knife, 10-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029VN2SA/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_XBI3ub01D6P6C

Mike Schuch
02-13-2015, 12:40 PM
A practically new Powermatic 66 for $1500 sounds like a good deal to me especially if it is a USA made model. Yes, you probably find a used saw cheaper and mess around with changing the bearings etc. But for a practically new plug and go saw $1500 sounds very reasonable.

Yeah, I only paid $500 for my PM 65 but I have many hours in it and a decent chunk of change in bearings, matching paint and a Biesmeyer fence.

David Utterback
02-13-2015, 12:45 PM
The price is a bit steep but may be reasonable if it has a wider fence and table plus all the original accessories. Mine is an 87 model and has been all the table saw I will ever need. I agree that checking the motor is important. PM used to use Baldor motors but not sure if that was on all the 66's. You may want to take a straight edge to check table flatness. I have heard that 0.010" tolerance is the limit for the factory so it will not likely be perfect.

A newbie,
David