PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-12-2015, 7:19 PM
Since there are so many posts with members writing about the cars in their past, I had an idea for a different kind of "What is it?" post.

Share a partial picture of your favorite vehicle you have owned or currently own and see if we can guess what it is. No doubt we could have lots of unique & interesting pictures and stories to go with the pics.

To start it off, I have 2 favorite vehicles for 2 very different reasons.

Vehicle #1 is too easy to guess with so little body and so many non-stock parts to post a partial photo, so here's the whole picture.
This is my '81 CJ5 and while I have owned several CJ's, I have owned this CJ for over 25 years and met the LOML while driving it. It's topless year-round and when I drive it into town, it's the healthy V8 rumble that will get a look in the parking lots and some guy usually asks me either "What's under the hood?" or "Is that a V8 I hear?" It's all gearheads that say something except for a few older women asking "Aren't you cold driving that in the winter?" Conversations are brief and I'm on my way. I've also received banter from young guys in town that the CJ could beat/can't beat that vintage Bronco they have seen driving about. Um. That's mine too. They both have their pros and cons. I still like my Jeep the best. It may not look all that pretty, but it's nice to have a rig that you don't get upset over because some careless person scratched or dented it.

Here's a partial picture of my favorite Vehicle #2.
This is a fun vintage vehicle we currently own. To make it easier, I'm showing more of the vehicle than I was originally going to post. While I like the vehicle, I NEVER thought of how much attention it would attract from other people and it's still a strange feeling to have such a different kind of attention fixated on this vehicle. We can't drive anywhere without someone asking "What is it?" or we come out of a store and see people taking pictures of it, and if it is parked outside the garage, people driving by will pull over and ask questions about it. It is never a quick conversation. People want to know more about it.

So ... what is Vehicle #2?

Mac McQuinn
02-12-2015, 7:24 PM
Vehicle # 2 is Morris Minor, not sure if it's a Traveler, Panel, Saloon, etc though. I'd guess it's late 50's-early 60's.
Is it original with the stock motor/trans? Appears to be a very fine example. I've always had a soft spot for English cars of this vintage.
Mac

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-12-2015, 8:48 PM
It's a 1961 Morris Minor 1000 2-door Saloon with the 948 cc 37 hp engine with positive earth. It was almost all stock when we bought it and it was in decent condition. A previous owner had the front converted to disc brakes and painted it and that's about it. When we picked it up, the seats & exhaust were shot as well as the tires were dry rotted. We have replaced the entire exhaust and tires, repaired the seats and a few parts here and there and when time permits we'll rebuild the engine, replace the interior and keep it as much stock as possible. I have used the crank start when we first brought it home.

I love one of the advertisement posters I saw for it. They were boasting how it could do "0-60 in 28 seconds." We've also had several friends ask us when we are going to put a Hayabusa engine in it. LOL No. The busa & Morris are garage buddies only. There will be no fraternizing between the two!

While I do not recommend this to anyone, this was a CL purchase. The owner was several States away and since there were 2 other Morris people I know considering it, I offered to send the guy $100 via paypal to hold it for us while it took us all day to drive over and pick it up. I told him the deal was if we didn't show up, he keeps the $100 for his troubles of turning buyers away, but at least he knew I was serious about buying it. It was a risk on both sides of the deal and we all walked away happy.

Here's a picture of it on the trailer when we purchased it. (The whole drive home was filled with people rubbernecking and pacing alongside the trailer.) Here's another close-up shot of the "smiley" grille. (The bonnet is slightly open too.) You can see the hole in the bumper where the crank handle fits in so you can crank start it.
306783 306784

John McClanahan
02-12-2015, 8:51 PM
I have owned a '66 Jeep CJ5 and a '77 Bronco in the past.

But before them, I owned one of these:

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-12-2015, 11:13 PM
Our Bronco is a '70 and I've also owned '66, '68 and '76 CJ5's. The other Jeep's had some nicer features (tailgates) but I didn't meet the LOML in those.

I'll start the guessing as some sort of Fiat?

Mac McQuinn
02-12-2015, 11:57 PM
John,
Looks like a 1950's Fiat Multipla, pretty rare sight in the U.S. I think there was one featured in an early 60's Rock Hudson, Bobby Darin movie
Mac

I have owned a '66 Jeep CJ5 and a '77 Bronco in the past.

But before them, I owned one of these:

Rick Potter
02-13-2015, 1:31 AM
Yup, Multipla 600. Bought one for my fiancé back in '62. It was a '58, I think.... had a real bad case of 'Prince of Darkness' Lucas electronics. Got it up over 55 MPH one day....steep hill.

Shawn Pixley
02-13-2015, 1:43 AM
Morris Minors have the thinnest sheet metal I've ever seen on their fenders. Don't dare len on it...

Chris Parks
02-13-2015, 1:47 AM
Yup, Multipla 600. Bought one for my fiancé back in '62. It was a '58, I think.... had a real bad case of 'Prince of Darkness' Lucas electronics. Got it up over 55 MPH one day....steep hill.

They are Italian complete with Italian wiring, even Lucas could not get that bad.

Chris Parks
02-13-2015, 1:50 AM
Morris Minors, we used to be able to do an engine conversion in a weekend using a Peugot motor, it went respectfully fast then. We raced them, smashed them did naughty things in them and had much fun on the way.

Jim Matthews
02-13-2015, 6:52 AM
I understood British Leyland built these from sheet metal fine enough
to be persuaded back into shape by a swift kick or toilet plunger.

I've seen toasters with greater structural integrity.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-13-2015, 7:25 AM
306809While looking for a pic I found this one I saved of a car ferrying from St. Thomas to Tortola before we had a car barge. Not my picture but my neighbor's. Can you imagine being close-hauled with that much weight topsides?

As for CJ's I literally have lost count of how many I have had, plus three Willys. Real Jeeps have round headlights! My best Jeep story is losing all brakes in my friend's CJ down a very steep hill in St. John. I tried to downshift and the shift lever came off in my hand. I looked at my passenger (his girlfriend), holding the shift lever in my hand and said "oh $&@#!" I had two choices: hit a car or a telephone pole. Telephone poles being cheaper, I hit the pole. It snapped in two but hung from the wires. Lucky us! The Jeep had a bumper made from a steel I Beam. (Island ingenuity we call it). Not a scratch or dent on the bumper. The next day WAPA came to fix the pole and said to my friend they heard his jeep hit it, and he would have to pay. He took them to the Jeep and said, "If you can show me where my Jeep hit that pole, I'll pay for it." They looked all around at the Jeep, apologized, and left!

John McClanahan
02-13-2015, 7:27 AM

I guess it was too easy. Mine was a 1959 6 passenger van. I got mine up to 60 mph once going down a long hill.

Rick Potter
02-13-2015, 2:16 PM
Just like mine, except for color. Mine was kinda green and white. Brings back fond memories, although I have no idea why. We could never trust it, and yes, it did have Lucas stuff. Maybe they went with multiple suppliers.

We had several oddball vehicles, because they were cheap. '58 Fiat 1100 investment car, paid $50 for it, sold for $150 (I think). '58(?) Simca Aronde...nice car. Paid $300 and it stayed in the extended family for several years, but you had to change head gaskets every six months. '58 Edsel Convertible, '56 MGA, several Healey's, including one with 'vette motor.

My dad always bought used cars like Nash, Packard, Crosley, because the resale was low, and he could get some real deals on them. I learned to drive on my mom's '51 Packard that was 5 years old when dad bought it for less than $300. I spun it out going down a wet underpass one day. Did a 360 across four lanes and hit the curb on the other side. Never told them about that one.

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-13-2015, 4:37 PM
John,
That's a cool Multipla. I vaguely remember seeing one in a car museum.

Malcolm,
Wow. I can't imagine it. I would definitely be uncomfortable seeing any of my vehicles on that!

Funny story about the CJ & pole. I'll choose my CJ over a Wrangler any day.

I haven't really noticed the Morris' metal to be all that thin. We do have a tendency to pamper it because it's in such good condition. It's also because it's just so cute and little. I wouldn't dream of standing on it's hood so I can pick apples off a tree like I have done with the Jeep! LOL

I would love to see a Fiat 1100 up close. I was tempted to buy a Riley Elf, but couldn't justify the cost.

mike holden
02-13-2015, 5:37 PM
Ok, I will play. Here are two shots of the same car.
306864 306865

Think carefully, it is not what you may think at first.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-13-2015, 6:13 PM
Hmmmmm. Alfa Romeo?

ken masoumi
02-13-2015, 7:41 PM
Datsun z210
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Datsun_240Z.jpg

Ole Anderson
02-14-2015, 12:57 AM
I would post my favorite, but I think my avatar would be a spoiler. American iron for this Detroiter, thank you.

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Datsun z210

From the looks of the bumpers in that photo, that's a Datsun 260Z. (Several of us kids in high school all owned Z's. Fun little car.) Z's have a fuel filler door that matches the body. Nothing like Mike's photo of the filler cap. .... I haven't noticed a cap like that on a car before, so his photo is a tough one!

Jerome Stanek
02-14-2015, 12:21 PM
Datsun z210
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Datsun_240Z.jpg

That looks like my Datsun 240z

Larry Edgerton
02-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Ok, I will play. Here are two shots of the same car.
306864 306865

Think carefully, it is not what you may think at first.

Jensen Healey?

Larry Edgerton
02-14-2015, 12:33 PM
I don't have a partial picture and its too cold to go out in the barn. I do have a new KG Trimming cam on my desk for it.... Its got a big bore kit, oversized valves, 11.5:1, ported with bigger valves and radiused seats, Weber DCOE's, header and a new cam/lifters soon

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t468/crookedtreejoinery/P1020467_zps6ac9df70.jpg (http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/crookedtreejoinery/media/P1020467_zps6ac9df70.jpg.html)

Jerome Stanek
02-14-2015, 12:39 PM
From the looks of the bumpers in that photo, that's a Datsun 260Z. (Several of us kids in high school all owned Z's. Fun little car.) Z's have a fuel filler door that matches the body. Nothing like Mike's photo of the filler cap. .... I haven't noticed a cap like that on a car before, so his photo is a tough one!

You may be right as I had both a 240z and a 260z 2+2 back in the 70's

mike holden
02-14-2015, 2:49 PM
Jensen Healey is the closest guess, but still no cigar.
Here are two more hints.

This should allow the older guys a chance to identify it.
Mike

Malcolm Schweizer
02-14-2015, 2:50 PM
That's a Lotus Europa. I raced one in auto cross.

mike holden
02-14-2015, 3:10 PM
We have a winner!
Lotus Europa 1971, Gold Leaf Team Lotus colors

Mike Chance, you have seen the fuel filler doors (one for each tank on each side) on a Mustang Cobra, I put them on in place of the plebian twist off caps that were standard.

Larry Edgerton
02-14-2015, 3:12 PM
Jensen, Ferrari Dino and the Europa because of the headlight shape were my three possibles but could not find a pic of that gas cap. I saw the Lucas headlight so I figured British and took a guess. I like Europas, but I have only seen one in person. That gas cap is probably on the rear deck [?]like a Vette and I could not find a picture of the deck.

Does in run and drive Mike?

Ok, now I see the cap. The pics I found on the net did not have a cap like that in that location.

mike holden
02-14-2015, 3:17 PM
Larry, I sold it to buy my wife engagement and wedding rings.
Went to a buyer in Japan back in 1992. The paint job and a hermes stage III engine were the selling points.
I miss the car, but have no regrets - I definitely came out ahead with my wife! (grin)
Mike

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-14-2015, 4:01 PM
Well that's why I couldn't guess it Mike. The parts didn't match the original car! I think I had a Lotus Europa Hot Wheel when I was a kid too! :-) That would be a fun car to drive. As for the filler cap, I honestly haven't looked much at the newer Mustang Cobras. While they appear nice, I prefer the vintage ones.

Nice picture Larry. I don't recall what that is right now without searching the internet, but I remember a school teacher owning one when I was in grade school.

Larry Edgerton
02-15-2015, 9:39 AM
Larry, I sold it to buy my wife engagement and wedding rings.
Went to a buyer in Japan back in 1992. The paint job and a hermes stage III engine were the selling points.
I miss the car, but have no regrets - I definitely came out ahead with my wife! (grin)
Mike

I sold a Saleen Mustang convertible to pay for our wedding. Gave her a choice of two weeks in Hawaii or a wedding with all the trimmings. She chose the wedding. Rented a whole municipal park on Crooked Lake, all the cabins, all the camp sites and the hall. Had it all to ourselves. Only invited people that had been to our house. no wedding cake, but 10 different kinds of pie. Great Jazz band. Lots of LaBatts. Best wedding ever!

Still miss that Mustang once in a while though.......

Robert Payne
02-16-2015, 3:00 PM
I believe Larry's picture is a Volvo 122S Station Wagon...

Kent A Bathurst
02-16-2015, 3:34 PM
I sold a Saleen Mustang convertible to pay for our wedding.

Still miss that Mustang once in a while though.......

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I have never, never, NEVER heard anything remotely like that story.

How's it feel to be the unchallenged winner of The Most Devoted Groom Ever award?

Larry Edgerton
02-16-2015, 7:56 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I have never, never, NEVER heard anything remotely like that story.

How's it feel to be the unchallenged winner of The Most Devoted Groom Ever award?

Hey, Mike sold a Lotus! It was just a car, easy come easy go. My wife on the other hand is my third attempt, and we have been happy for 17 years. Worth a thousand Saleens.:D

The car is a 1967 Volvo 122S.

Mike Henderson
02-16-2015, 8:21 PM
You know why the English drink warm beer???

Lucas refrigerators.

Mike

Mike Henderson
02-16-2015, 8:26 PM
Here's my first car. What is it?

Mike

ken masoumi
02-16-2015, 9:24 PM
1940 ford deluxe flathead?

Mike Henderson
02-16-2015, 9:26 PM
1940 ford deluxe flathead?
Not quite that old. 1946 Ford 6 cylinder flathead sedan. I drove that thing all over.

Mike

Mac McQuinn
02-16-2015, 11:30 PM
I don't have a partial picture and its too cold to go out in the barn. I do have a new KG Trimming cam on my desk for it.... Its got a big bore kit, oversized valves, 11.5:1, ported with bigger valves and radiused seats, Weber DCOE's, header and a new cam/lifters soon

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t468/crookedtreejoinery/P1020467_zps6ac9df70.jpg (http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/crookedtreejoinery/media/P1020467_zps6ac9df70.jpg.html)

Nice Volvo Amazon, looks and sounds like you're enjoying it. Some really nice modifications you've done. What year?
Mac

Rick Potter
02-17-2015, 2:07 AM
:Mike,

If that was a '46, maybe someone changed out the front fenders. Looks like '48 fenders, the '46 had the park lites inboard of the headlights. I had one about 10 years ago.

Of course I am old and forgetful.:o

Mike Henderson
02-19-2015, 7:57 PM
:Mike,

If that was a '46, maybe someone changed out the front fenders. Looks like '48 fenders, the '46 had the park lites inboard of the headlights. I had one about 10 years ago.

Of course I am old and forgetful.:o
Don't know. I bought it in the '60's and it was titled as a '46. Could have been in an accident and had the front end changed. No way for me to know.

Mike

ken masoumi
02-19-2015, 8:29 PM
Don't know. I bought it in the '60's and it was titled as a '46. Could have been in an accident and had the front end changed. No way for me to know.

Mike
It would be fun to drive one of those at my age(61) and feel like a kid again,there's so much character,so much class in these older cars.