PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a plunge router to cut a circle ?

Jeff H Lee
02-12-2015, 11:38 AM
I would like to cut a circle with a router. Do I need a plunge router or can I drill a hole in the waste part and use a fixed router ?

Tks

scott vroom
02-12-2015, 11:43 AM
I would like to cut a circle with a router. Do I need a plunge router or can I drill a hole in the waste part and use a fixed router ?

Tks

Either way works. Use the router you have.

If you have a jig saw you might want to cut 1/8" inside the circle and then clean it up with a router.....a lot less messy that way.

What are you building?

Bill Orbine
02-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Tks

Yes!!!!!!!

Chris Padilla
02-12-2015, 12:25 PM
They certainly help with making a cleanER entry but it can be done without a plunge action if you're careful. The less material you remove (via other means like a jigsaw as Scott suggested), the better your router will perform.

Rich Engelhardt
02-12-2015, 12:32 PM
I would like to cut a circle with a router. Do I need a plunge router or can I drill a hole in the waste part and use a fixed router ? I used a 1/4" shank 1/4" straight bit in a Porter Cable 690 w/a fixed base to cut a circle out of a piece of 3/4" plywood by drilling a hole and starting from that point.
I asked the very same question here a couple years ago.

I broke two or three bits in the process.
It had nothing to do with the router being a fixed base though.
My trammel had too much flex & play. I used 1/8" hardboard for the trammel.

So - yes you can, but, make sure your trammel is good and strong and doesn't flex.

Chris Padilla
02-12-2015, 1:20 PM
Google 'jasper router jig' for very nice, high-quality, flexible (in terms of radius cuts...not strength) trammel arms. I think I have all of them. :)

pat warner
02-12-2015, 4:30 PM
Not necessarily but it is the safest way .

Kent A Bathurst
02-12-2015, 4:50 PM
If you have a jig saw you might want to cut 1/8" inside the circle and then clean it up with a router.....a lot less messy that way.

Also a lot easier on the bit.

I generally use 3/8" or 1/2" ply for my circle base - very sturdy. I have also been known to position the router - standard base, not plunge base - over the target, and slowly lower it into the wood, and go from there.

Jeff H Lee
02-12-2015, 5:23 PM
Thanks for all the inputs. It looks like I will use a jigsaw then rout for final dimension .

I am planning to make a top cover for the collection pail of a DIY cyclone dust collector. I can rout a groove to fit the rim but I think its easier to cut a circle then rout a rabbet around its rim so it fits tightly in the pail with 1/2 inch overhang . Any easier way? Yeah, I also need to cut a hole for the cone but that is not critical .

Rod Sheridan
02-12-2015, 6:47 PM

Tks

I hope not, I don't own a router and I've cut lots of circles.

Regards, Rod.

Charlie Velasquez
02-13-2015, 9:21 AM
I would like to cut a circle with a router. Do I need a plunge router...? TksIs this a trick question?? You have a perfectly good reason to buy a new tool!
Quick, before your significant other reads the other replies, get the baddest big boy you can find...
Then quote Pat's post. :D

Jeff H Lee
02-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Is this a trick question?? You have a perfectly good reason to buy a new tool!
Quick, before your significant other reads the other replies, get the baddest big boy you can find...
Then quote Pat's post. :D

LOL ! :) Biggest and baddest is not always for me !