PDA

View Full Version : Jigsaw Recommendations

Rich Riddle
02-12-2015, 10:35 AM
I cannot find my jigsaw. It's simply not where it should be located and the shop is incredible organized. It's a Bosch and if it needs to be replaced what would you folks recommend as it's replacement? Still looking around the shop. Someone might have "borrowed" it.

ken masoumi
02-12-2015, 10:48 AM
I have heard a lot of good things about Bosch JS572EBL,the model # is very important since the other model(JS470EB) seems to be less "desirable " though it looks identical to js572EBL.the price difference is also another indication.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-JS572EBL-120-Volt-Barrel-Grip-L-BOXX/dp/B008ELM9BU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

John Schweikert
02-12-2015, 10:57 AM
I had a Bosch JS470E and didn't like it. Blades wondered too much and no light, also the blade was not 90 degrees in-line to the base so inside corners weren't clean. Having LEDs on a jigsaw is excellent once experienced. I sold the Bosch and bought a corded Carvex which has been excellent, no regrets now.

glenn bradley
02-12-2015, 11:26 AM
This is why you can't call a Bosch jigsaw a Bosch jigsaw. The JS470 is not a JS572 any more than the 1587 was a 1591. Although similar in appearance the saws are different. The 470 (like the 1587) primarily targets the Lowe's/BORG market. The BORGs will also have (or have had) the 159X or 572 tools available but, primarily use them to "sell off of". This comparison moves folks to the lower priced units as if they are "almost the same thing". This is not nefarious, it is a valid form of sales strategy in many fields.

The point is, compare apples to apples when comparing varying brands and find what is right for you. A jigsaw is probably the most personal preference corded tool this side of a router. It has to fit your hands and feel under control to you. Certainly there are groups or classes of tools you will want to search within based on price tolerance. After that, the fit and feel of a jigsaw becomes very personal ;-)

Bill Adamsen
02-12-2015, 12:20 PM
A jigsaw is probably the most personal preference corded tool this side of a router.

Like everyone else, I have pile of corded jigsaws (PC, Bosch) - to which I've now been forced regrettably - to return. My "go to hack" tool for the past few years has been the cordless Dewalt. It's so incredibly versatile and convenient without the cord. I use it for metal frequently and not only to keep metal chips out of the shop by cutting outside. It is also incredibly convenient for any "rough" cut on wood. Unfortunately part of the blade retainer broke ... would cost more to replace than buy a new tool. Therefore looking for a new and better cordless. A cordless with more granular speed and orbit controls would be fabulous. Point is, jigsaws, like drills, are exceptionally convenient as cordless.

Fidel Fernandez
02-12-2015, 12:35 PM
I know is much more expensive, but it is one of the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MTbJPT8N8

Doug Ladendorf
02-12-2015, 2:48 PM
I got the nice barrel grip Makita for Christmas (I may have sent a link to wifie...) and so far I like it a lot. I just wasn't ready to spend on a Festool or Mafell.

Rich Riddle
02-12-2015, 3:41 PM
Fidel, a mere $735 for a jigsaw.

Chris Padilla
02-12-2015, 4:20 PM
The Festool jigsaw is half the cost of the Fidel, Rich, and what I'd recommend but I long ago got addicted to the green Kool-aid. :)

Mike Henderson
02-12-2015, 4:22 PM
This is cordless, but I bought the DeWalt 20 V cordless jigsaw and have been happy with it. I also have a Festool corded and probably should sell it.

Mike

Rick Moyer
02-12-2015, 4:41 PM
This is cordless, but I bought the DeWalt 20 V cordless jigsaw and have been happy with it. I also have a Festool corded and probably should sell it.

MikeMike, if you feel like it, I would like to hear the pros/cons (besides cordless) of that Dewalt vs. what you may have used before. I have a Bosch 1587 that I've been very happy with but I have several 20v. DeWalts now and could buy just the bare tool, which would be an occasional convenience.

Kent A Bathurst
02-12-2015, 4:53 PM
The Festool jigsaw is half the cost of the Fidel, Rich, and what I'd recommend but I long ago got addicted to the green Kool-aid. :)

To be honest, if I ever needed a true jig saw - which I really haven't had any use for all these years - I would swallow my pride along with a big gulp of Kool-Aid, and get that one also. But - I would never publicly admit it. :p

Rich Riddle
02-12-2015, 6:59 PM
I looked in my tool log (made after losing tools) and discovered it had been checked out to a friend. Called the friend and he brought it back. I actually make them sign for tools so they can't say they never borrowed them. Glad it came back. New tools are too expensive.

Mike Henderson
02-12-2015, 9:16 PM
Mike, if you feel like it, I would like to hear the pros/cons (besides cordless) of that Dewalt vs. what you may have used before. I have a Bosch 1587 that I've been very happy with but I have several 20v. DeWalts now and could buy just the bare tool, which would be an occasional convenience.
Sure, although I don't use a jigsaw a whole lot. Previously, I had an 18V DeWalt and was not happy with it, especially when cutting around corners in thick stock. The blade would deflect quite a bit. That's why I bought the Festool.

But the 18V DeWalt tools were getting heavy for me (as I get older), so I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the 20V DeWalt tools. I had one 20V tool (a drill) and liked how much lighter it was than my 18V drills. As part of that upgrade, I bought the DeWalt 20V jigsaw. It has a number of advantages compared to the older 18V DeWalt. It's easier to change blades, and it appears to not deflect as much when cutting curves in thick stock. The Festool may be better on that, but the one I have is corded and sits in a systainer, so it's much easier for me to grab the DeWalt when I need a jigsaw.

The one thing I miss on the DeWalt (compared to the Festool) is no light on the work.

I don't do a lot of precision work with a jigsaw, however. Mostly use it for cutting close and then using some other tool (band saw, router) to finish.

Mike

Rich Riddle
02-12-2015, 9:47 PM
The Festool saws start at $275, so I don't know which ones you folks like.....

Rick Moyer
02-13-2015, 7:30 AM
Thanks Mike.

Brett Luna
02-13-2015, 12:50 PM
The Festool saws start at $275, so I don't know which ones you folks like.....

I recently replaced a Bosch with the Carvex PS 420 (corded, barrel grip). Handing over my bank card for it stung a bit but I got over that quickly and don't regret it. I even went back a couple of weeks later for the accessory kit and vac hose.

Len Rosenberg
02-13-2015, 1:12 PM
Another vote for the Festool Carvex. I bought the corded one with D handle grip. It replaces my Bosch, and I like it much better, although the Bosch is an excellent saw. Accuracy, blade visibility, LEDs, dust collection, and tool-less blade changes make this tool enjoyable to use.

Len

Alan Lightstone
02-15-2015, 11:46 AM
What are people's thoughts regarding Barrel grip vs D-Handle jigsaws? Advantages, disadvantages of each?

I've never had a barrel grip one. Presently have a Bosch I bought when the Carvex was delayed and I needed a jigsaw. BORG version, not too special. I rarely use a jigsaw, but if I upgraded, was wondering which of the Carvex models to get.

jack duren
02-15-2015, 12:38 PM
jigsaw is a roughing tool. Its not the tool but the blade that makes the cut.

Mike Henderson
02-15-2015, 12:40 PM
What are people's thoughts regarding Barrel grip vs D-Handle jigsaws? Advantages, disadvantages of each?

I've never had a barrel grip one. Presently have a Bosch I bought when the Carvex was delayed and I needed a jigsaw. BORG version, not too special. I rarely use a jigsaw, but if I upgraded, was wondering which of the Carvex models to get.
I bought the D-handle Festool because you can modulate the speed of the blade with the trigger. With the barrel grip, you set the speed and then just have an on/off switch.

Also, I just didn't like handling the saw with the barrel grip. Always used a handle jig saw so that's what I was comfortable with.

Mike

Peter Quinn
02-15-2015, 12:59 PM
jigsaw is a roughing tool. Its not the tool but the blade that makes the cut.

This exactly. I've always gone with bosch as the best bang for buck on a tool that for me is the first step in a process that will almost always involve template routing later if accuracy is involved. Metabo makes a pretty nice one too. Either way you don't want a weak model that allows the blade to drift and creates unwanted bevels in the work. Some of that is about user technique and feed rate, some involves proper blade and sharpness IME, and part of it is just the tools ability to control the blade. The mafell saw looks fantastic, but who is the market for that? Wow, over $700 for a jig saw? Its still a narrow blade unsupported on one end, just what do you hope to accomplish with that? I'm no fan of the festool jigsaws, its one of the green koolaide units I avoid. That soft start trigger is the killer for me, slow down in a curve a bit and lean off the trigger and it drops to zero, waits a second before regenerating speed. Who thinks thats a good idea in a jigsaw? I want a jig saw to be like a sports car, light, balanced, responsive. So if you back off the speed a little too much, or reposition your hand a bit as you turn a corner in a curve you're dead in the water, and for me I get skips on the work when it finally restarts. Have one at work, its the last jig saw I reach for and the last thing I want to take on a job site. Its one of those tools that is real personal, has to be comfortable in the hand, and is really connected to your technique and possibly your height too. So what works for me might not be right for you, you have to put hands on the actual units to get a feel for them.

James Nugnes
02-15-2015, 3:42 PM
Good Lord that Mafell is a beauty of a jigsaw. Every time I see a video of that particular jigsaw, it gets me thinking about how much more I could do with a jigsaw like that instead of my little old Rigid 3120. I so rarely use a jigsaw that I bought the 3120 years ago just to have a jigsaw. I did use it again recently when I was making the gauge I now have to check the wheels on my Laguna 14 12 for coplanar alignment. It functioned as it always has. Ridig never made these things themselves. They are not terrible but they are so pedestrian. I think you really have to convince yourself you are going to use the heck out of the Mafell to justify its cost. You even have to buy the angle base separately and it by itself is over $100 just for a base. Once you pay for the jigsaw and the angle base which you would have to have, you are close to $1k for a jigsaw. Not doubting its value if you have the jobs for it. If not, there is a heck of lot you can do with $1k besides buy a jigsaw.

I really think they should toss the angle base in with the saw as you just can't go without it. Not sure what the use would be for a jigsaw that was restricted to 90 degree angle cuts. Boy they are so beautifully machined though. They are functional works of art.

Lee Schierer
02-15-2015, 7:18 PM
Unless you want cordless, you can't go wrong with a Bosch 1584AVS, but I don't think they are available new anymore.

Jim Matthews
02-16-2015, 7:54 AM
That's a good idea. This way, you get to keep both the friend and the tool.