PDA

View Full Version : China VS other router bits? Newbie Question?

Clark Pace
02-12-2015, 12:04 AM
Hello,

So I mainly haunt the laser engraving threads, but I purchased a little 3040 ebay cnc about 1 year ago. I finally have really started getting into it a bit more, and having a good time.

My question is I've only used really used the basic bits it came with. Or the 10 bits for $12 dollar found on ebay. They are 2 flute. Note sure what direction( down or up). I get good cuts, but really only
go 1/16" down at a time. I've seen similar machines do at least 1/8". My struggles doing that. So the big question.

Now I know these machine don't have a lot of power, but would a more expensive bit be able to cut deeper, or would it just cut cleaner?

Thanks

Peter Swann
02-12-2015, 12:20 AM
That's a hard question to answer. China is a big country.

For my money, I use Amana bits, which aren't so cheap, but they last forever. In normal use, I've only ever had one fail. And that's a lot of use.

Rich Riddle
02-12-2015, 3:16 AM
Decent quality bits make all the difference in the world. Get the best ones you can afford, no matter the country of origin.

John McClanahan
02-12-2015, 7:54 AM
Buy 1 decent quality bit of a size you will use most, and see for yourself.

Keep your cut depth per pass to no more than 1/2 of the bit's diameter.

John

Clark Pace
02-12-2015, 5:22 PM
Buy 1 decent quality bit of a size you will use most, and see for yourself.

Keep your cut depth per pass to no more than 1/2 of the bit's diameter.

John

Confused about your last message. Do you mean for this machine? I've seen 1/4" router bits cut through 3/4" mdf on many cnc machnes? One half of 1/4" diameter would be 1/8" depth cut. Please clarify. Thanks

John McClanahan
02-12-2015, 6:29 PM
I have read numerous times to keep the cut depth to less than half the bit diameter to limit side stress on small diameter bits. Too much side stress causes the bit to break. If I could find that advise, I would link it. I see large machines make deep cuts with what looks like 1/2" bits on the internet. My little DIY router can't push a bit thru 3/4" anything in 1 pass without loosing steps.

John

Clark Pace
02-12-2015, 9:26 PM
I have read numerous times to keep the cut depth to less than half the bit diameter to limit side stress on small diameter bits. Too much side stress causes the bit to break. If I could find that advise, I would link it. I see large machines make deep cuts with what looks like 1/2" bits on the internet. My little DIY router can't push a bit thru 3/4" anything in 1 pass without loosing steps.

John

thanks. I know my small machine can't cut really deep as well. So I was just making sure you were talking about the smaller machines and not the larger ones on the diameter thing. We had a 4x8 at work that did not seem to have that diameter limitation. They used to cut throught 3/4" material like butter with just a 1/4" shank. But like I said I'm pretty new to this.

Art Mann
02-13-2015, 7:34 PM
I routinely cut 0.2" deep with 0.250" diameter 2 flute spiral upcut bits and 0.1" deep with 0.125" diameter bits at 16,500+ RPM. My "spindle" is a Porter cable model 892 router. I started out with the cut depth = 1/2 bit diameter rule but quickly discovered I could cut much faster and get the same results under certain circumstances. Quality bits will not flex or break under those conditions cutting walnut, cherry or red maple if the spindle has no run-out. I think each person needs to do some systematic experimentation with different bits and materials to work out his own rules. There are just too many variables in machines, materials and conditions to have one set of rules for everybody.