PDA

View Full Version : 3D Blocks Design Study

John Beaver
02-11-2015, 7:55 PM
I don't usually show design studies, but I wanted to share this idea. I have a different piece in mind for this technique, but wanted to try it simple first.

About 6" Tall - Cherry

Paul Williams
02-11-2015, 9:51 PM
Interesting look. Is the inside the reverse pattern or is it smooth?

philip labre
02-12-2015, 6:48 AM
I like it John. Look forward to see where you go from here.

Thom Sturgill
02-12-2015, 7:08 AM
John, your work always amazes me!

dave churscial
02-12-2015, 11:59 AM
looks very nice and different from what you normally see.

John Beaver
02-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Interesting look. Is the inside the reverse pattern or is it smooth?

Paul, in this case I made the inside smooth. I don't think it would be a problem to do it the other way.

Paul Williams
02-12-2015, 1:18 PM
Your attention to grain direction is excellent.

David Delo
02-12-2015, 2:12 PM
I like the first picture better. Looks like cherry on cherry and the block sizes seem to be a little more uniform. Maybe it's the picture itself but the 2nd pic wood color combination and piece uniformity doesn't do it for me. Perhaps not my cup of tea but it sure does make you think "how he do that". Very creative and excellently done.

John Beaver
02-13-2015, 10:34 AM
I like the first picture better. Looks like cherry on cherry and the block sizes seem to be a little more uniform. Maybe it's the picture itself but the 2nd pic wood color combination and piece uniformity doesn't do it for me. Perhaps not my cup of tea but it sure does make you think "how he do that". Very creative and excellently done.

David, thanks for the comments. That's why its a design study.

I mixed it up so I could see what different elements look like. I too like the first photo better, but wanted to see what would happen if I used two woods. Rather then making a second piece that I might not like I experimented with this one. I do like the unequal blocks however. I think the next one will have more levels of depth instead of just two.

John Beaver
02-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Your attention to grain direction is excellent.

Thanks for noticing

Lloyd Butler
02-13-2015, 10:51 AM
John,

Have you worked out a way to make the background surface all the same level with out too much sanding? So you would have what looks like parts of 2 slightly different sized bowls intermixed.

If you used paper on the joints of the piece you want to knock out and turn and smaller shape. Then remove the blocks held in with the paper joints and insert the next segments and then re-turn the outside shape of the now raised layer.

Lots of great possibilities if you are into segmentation.