PDA

View Full Version : Bits Make a Huge Difference

Rich Riddle
02-11-2015, 6:52 PM
Today I decided to try to use some Craftsman router bits someone gave as a gift a while back. Just a simple cut take small amount of wood. Well it sounded terrible and ruined the Oak board (only a 1x2). Took out the bit and put in a Whiteside bit. Cut like a dream on the next board. Anyone want a set of Craftsman bits? Actually, I might keep the case in which the bits came and just toss the bits.

David Ragan
02-11-2015, 7:06 PM
Sears has really gone down over the years; the lifetime guarantee is laughable
the vast majority of the time you still get what u pay for

Chris Padilla
02-11-2015, 7:23 PM
Sears is the new Harbor Freight. Case might be better than the bits...maybe.

Oh, and since you are offering to simply give away the bits, Rich, I won't flex my mod muscles and reprimand you on that little solicitation.... ;)

Bruce Page
02-11-2015, 7:35 PM
There was a time when the Craftsman bit was all the average hobbyist had access to. They were junk even back then, IMO. It was a great day when quality bits became available.
Before my FIL passed away a few years ago he gave me a box of 30-40 Craftsman bits, all 1/4" shank. I have never used any of them but I don't have the heart to throw them away.

Kevin Womer
02-11-2015, 8:24 PM
Sockets, wrenches and the like are still pretty decent, but that's about all I buy from them except maybe sandpaper on sale and that's a long shot.

glenn bradley
02-11-2015, 9:15 PM
I use bargain bits on MDF and other abrasive materials . . . except for plywood when you need a clean cut. I use Whiteside's there as well as most other operations.

Tom Stenzel
02-11-2015, 10:20 PM
It's not just recent.

Decades ago my Father bought a Craftsman Kromedge moulding making attachment for his radial arm saw. I remember when he tried it I learned New Words not to be used in front of Mom. After that it sat in the box unused for decades.

When I inherited the saw I got the moulding maker with it. Turns out that the cutters had been made OK and sharpened OK. After that the cutters were then chrome plated- which rounded over the cutting edges. They weren't sharp at all.

I guess I could have tried to work on them but when I gave the saw to my brother that thing got tossed in with it. I haven't missed it.

-Tom