PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Table Saw opinions

Aaron Funk
02-11-2015, 3:09 PM
Hi all,

I'm a newbie looking for my first table saw for the garage. Hopefully seeking advice from the forum is not seen to be in poor taste. I'm looking at an ad for a saw that seems promising, but I am not able to identify the specific model visually from the ad and the owner can't provide a model number until later this evening. I was hoping the more experienced here might be able to tell me if it's a good saw for the price and maybe some pros and cons. I'm wondering specifically if it can be wired for 110V. Right now it's 220V. It seems to have a decent fence.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/4886497774.html

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

William C Rogers
02-11-2015, 3:20 PM
It appears to be an older Unisaw. Says 220, so most likely it is a 3hp. It has the JoinTec miter sled which is excellent and was around $250-300 when they were in business. Not sure about the fence. Others will be able to identify the saw better than me. Doesn't look bad for $500.

scott spencer
02-11-2015, 3:45 PM
It's right tilt with solid cast wings and a Unifence... could be a model 36-755, but can't be sure. Looks to be a good deal, but it doesn't state the model or horsepower of the motor. If it's 2hp or more, it's best run on 220v, and generally won't run on a standard residential 120v circuit. Make sure it's single phase, and not 3 phase, or you'll need a converter or VFD. If it is a 36-755, it'd likely be 2hp, which depending on your circuit and the amp draw of the motor, could be borderline for most 120v circuits, and might not even be convertible to 120v. A "Unisaw" usually states that on the front....if it's Unisaw with a single phase motor, it's a great deal.

That Jointech sled and Woodhaven miter gauge are worth a fair bit too. It'll probably move quickly at that price.

Matt Day
02-11-2015, 3:52 PM
That's a great deal if 1 phase, good deal if 3 phase. It's probably gone if you haven't left your house yet!

Kent A Bathurst
02-11-2015, 3:53 PM
Yep. Delta Unisaw. Right-hand tilt.

With the mobile base, fence and miter sled, $500 is a steal.

You cannot rewire to 110. Short work for you or electrician to get 220 out of a breaker panel, usually.

My advice: If you are legitimately interested in getting a table saw, tell him you are on your way, put $500 cash in your pocket and get going - the model # is not of consequence, IMO - but you can always walk away when you get there. There a long list of Delta Unisaw model numbers in a fairly short number of years int eh 70's through 80's - just "new and improved" type of things from one to the next.

Looks a lot like the 36-750 in these photos:

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=8804

These things can disappear very, very quickly. Go - go - GO!!

Randy Red Bemont
02-11-2015, 4:02 PM
I'd say jump on it quickly if you can. Very good deal all around.

Red

Aaron Funk
02-11-2015, 4:09 PM
Thanks to everyone for the reply. I'm going to go and try to look at it tonight. Is there anything I should be paying attention to other than what's mentioned above (in the interest of gauging it's state of condition)?

Matt Day
02-11-2015, 4:18 PM
Make sure the motor works of course. Raise and lower and tilt the blade. Most everything else is relatively easy to fix, like if it needs a new arbor bearing or belts. You can bring a good straightedge and check the table for flatness, and check the trunnions for cracks.

Myk Rian
02-11-2015, 5:35 PM
If you have to ask, it's already gone by now.

Kent A Bathurst
02-11-2015, 6:00 PM

Bah!! Humbug!!

:D

Myk Rian
02-11-2015, 7:24 PM
Bah!! Humbug!!:D
Yeah, I know. But, it happens all too often.

Rich Riddle
02-11-2015, 8:28 PM
Didn't Delta make something akin to a "Mini" Unisaw? That one just looks a little off to me.

Cary Falk
02-11-2015, 9:08 PM
That is NOT a Unisaw. Looks lit the Delta Hybrid.

Aaron Funk
02-11-2015, 9:17 PM
Again, thanks to all who replied with comments/advice. I appreciate you taking the time. The saw got sold while I was driving there. Bummer.

Kent A Bathurst
02-11-2015, 11:15 PM
That is NOT a Unisaw. Looks lit the Delta Hybrid.

OK - I'll bite - what are the indicators you see that makes it a hybrid? Not arguing - interested.

Kent A Bathurst
02-11-2015, 11:34 PM

Bah!! Humbug!! :D

Yeah, I know. But, it happens all too often.

The saw got sold while I was driving there. Bummer.

Myk - your bad mojo may be held to account here - it could be on you. Always with the negative waves, Moriarty. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQPkCR4E6k

Bill Orbine
02-11-2015, 11:50 PM
OK - I'll bite - what are the indicators you see that makes it a hybrid? Not arguing - interested.
Well, one thing I saw.......ah, I didn't see..........Where did it say unisaw on that thing in the pictures?

Edit: looking around on this here forum, I dug up this thread...... scroll down and you'll find something very similar to the OP craigslist interest....the "junior unisaw". http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?24872-Stumbled-onto-a-Unisaw-with-question

David Kumm
02-12-2015, 12:04 AM
Looked more like the hybrid to me too but I'm not a Unisaw expert. Base looks kind of narrow but could be the picture. Statement that saw has enough power for most projects made me wonder. Dave

Kent A Bathurst
02-12-2015, 12:39 AM
Well, one thing I saw.......ah, I didn't see..........Where did it say unisaw on that thing in the pictures?

Edit: looking around on this here forum, I dug up this thread...... scroll down and you'll find something very similar to the OP craigslist interest....the "junior unisaw". http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?24872-Stumbled-onto-a-Unisaw-with-question

Could well be right. The thing I found interesting was the "220v" spec in the CL listing. May have jumped to an erroneous conclusion re: hybrid = 110.

I have a 15-yr-old Uni. From time-to-time, I have mused about the sensibility of getting a 2d TS, with a short extension table, and leaving a 3/8" dado head mounted on it. I don't use that exclusively, but definitely the most frequent. Let the big dog eat on the rip jobs.

That's why I am curious - so I can do a better job to ID saws from the photos.

Bill Orbine
02-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Could well be right. The thing I found interesting was the "220v" spec in the CL listing. May have jumped to an erroneous conclusion re: hybrid = 110.

I have a 15-yr-old Uni. From time-to-time, I have mused about the sensibility of getting a 2d TS, with a short extension table, and leaving a 3/8" dado head mounted on it. I don't use that exclusively, but definitely the most frequent. Let the big dog eat on the rip jobs.

In the Craigslist ad I was looking at a right tilt saw with the motor cover box on left side of cabinet. That struck me as odd. A right tilt Unisaw has the motor box on the right side of the cabinet. And also that cabinet in the craigslist seemed skinny. The throat plate seemed far to the back. I guess I can say I stand in front of the unisaw every day and notice something odd. Yet, I don't remember the shape of the center hub of my steering wheel of my truck.:o

Kent A Bathurst
02-12-2015, 1:19 AM
All good points, Bill. THnx.

Cary Falk
02-12-2015, 1:43 AM
Most of the replies have covered everything. I will also add that the picture in the CL add has a small arc which the handwheel(also small) travels when the blade is tilted. It is also very close to the table due to the table mounted trunnions.

scott spencer
02-12-2015, 6:46 AM

The pic in the CL listing looked like a very early hybrid from the 36-750 series to me. The fact that it didn't state "Unisaw" on the front is a big indicator...there were some non-Unisaw 3hp cabinet saws from Delta about 15 years ago (Delta 36-730), but those came with a T2 fence, different handwheels, and the motor cover was on the right. I dug around on the Ereplacementparts.com website, and found that the 36-755 (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-36755-type-1034-tilting-arbor-saw-parts-c-3275_3334_13623.html) type 2 had a 2hp motor, cast iron wings, and table mounted trunnions. These are all just clues, but without being able to actually see the saw, that's about all we've got.

Myk Rian
02-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Myk - your bad mojo may be held to account here - it could be on you. Always with the negative waves, Moriarty. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQPkCR4E6k
Just call me Debbie Downer.