PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Nova Outrigger - Repurposing Project

Blair Swing
02-11-2015, 2:11 PM
Probably like most of you all, I am a collector of interesting objects, that I feel someday may be able to be used differently than there current shape or use, from a chunk of aluminum I found working highway maintenance in the early 80's to sample handrails from one of my many construction projects I have been part of over the past 26 years, or flat plate aluminum from a curtain wall project used for years as a straight edge, an extra 1946 Sears Craftsman Table Saw that I had for parts for the 1946 Craftsman table saw I currently use in my segmenting work, lots of old bolts, an old small vise, and a pipe clamp round out the mix for today's repurposing project.

All of these parts, came together in a most unusual fashion over the last several weeks to be combined into an outrigger for my Nova lathe.

Now first I want to state, I would not suggest this type of project for just anyone, I do have an engineering background, and over 30 years of common sense experience, starting as an Army engineer that ran a combat heavy equipment platoon, to multiple building projects, and this project, if not done correctly could seriously injure myself, or someone around me, and that I do not take lightly. Far easier to spend the $250-$300 to purchase an already engineered piece of equipment that someone else has put through stress testing!

However, what would the fun in that be?

I see things differently, (as those of you that have seen some of my work can attest) and when I set my mind to it, and I take my time to think things through, fun things can emerge from the effort, and cost savings may be a result, (but only if I don't count my time to develop it in the equation!)

So here is my repurposed, homemade, solid as a rock "Swing Outrigger", that actually gives me one more knuckle than the store bought version, and more flexibility I hope. I plan on being very careful when I start to test it, not starting on some huge out of balance piece, but probably just flipping over from my standard tool rest for a while till I am sure the stand will do what I want. Unlike the original, this one can be revised to fit different projects, but in its current set-up actually allows me around 31" diameter turnings a bit more than the 29 1/2" Nova (although I have no idea if I will ever event try to approach that size).

Anyway, I still have one more plate to add to the part holding the tool rest, and will probably paint the whole thing to give a uniform appearance, but wanted to pass along some pics of the project, and try to stir up the imagination of those woodworkers out there, that anything is possible, if you put your mind to something, and open up your eyes to see things as they might be, not as they currently are!

I imagine this one may go to a different forum, but wanted it to start here for those with a Nova to see.

Enjoy!

Enjoy!306676306675306674306673306672

Thom Sturgill
02-11-2015, 3:45 PM
Looks pretty substantial to me.

Dan Jechura
02-11-2015, 4:17 PM
I have one of thouse out riggers an have used it up to 24 inch's. I do not know if I can get 29 1/2 inchs if the turning is more than 2 inch's thick.

Looks good.

Sid Matheny
02-11-2015, 5:30 PM
Nice job and something I need to build for my DVR-XP.

Roger Chandler
02-11-2015, 5:52 PM
Will you put some type of support underneath to the floor? As is noe, it looks like it could have some flex in the current configuration. A simple "t" shaped support from 2x4's underneath the toolrest support would eliminate any flexing. Nice work on this!

Blair Swing
02-12-2015, 10:34 AM
Will you put some type of support underneath to the floor? As is noe, it looks like it could have some flex in the current configuration. A simple "t" shaped support from 2x4's underneath the toolrest support would eliminate any flexing. Nice work on this!

Roger, I hope it will not be necessary for an external brace, but always an option, the two pivot points are composed of an old 9/16" diameter vice screw arm, and a 1/2" Stainless Steel rod, and using the old cast iron arm from the 46' table, that I tapped for the 1/2" rod saw gave it some real strength not otherwise achievable. I am not certain, but I believe I might be able to stand on the part holding the tool rest without damaging the whole contraption (course I don't weigh all that much...). I am in Texas, and everything is bigger in Texas, so may just have to try to build some sort of large, Lone Star Platter to test out what it is capable of doing.

For those that have read some of my stuff over the years, this is the one year anniversary of my brothers passing, and would have been my dad's 87th birthday tomorrow, however when I look at this contraption, I see in it things that they both taught me over the years, and I know they are still with me, and still helping me to build, and they also contributed to helping me to choose what might not always be the easiest way to do something, but what is surely the right way to build something.

charlie knighton
02-12-2015, 2:44 PM
roger is right you need to support the appendage...also I had a delta that had a appendage much like that......no matter how tight I made it, it was drawn into the blank while turning.....be very careful and have the emergency stop ready delta was the 14 inch one with reeves drive