PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions/Pics for sharpening station

David Ragan
02-11-2015, 1:04 PM
I have finished the major portion of shop renovation. It is only about 20 foot square. Got rid of a buncha junk, moved all the wood and scrap bin out, and re-did the central vac system.

Love the newer "less" cluttered look! Am considering upgrading my sharpening area from a 1 by 2 foot against the wall with a single drawer and single shelf under it.

Tormek sits on top. Have Veritas stone pond, some Shaptons (these underneath), and an array of carbide 'scarey sharp(?)' abrasives on a melamine board...1 by about 2.5 ft long (that is hung on a wall somewhere else in shop)

My thinking is that if everything is set up more accesible, in particular, the jigs and stones, it will be less hassle and I will use these really nice $$$ handplanes that I have.However, since I just did clear out a buncha junk and enjoy the empty wall (im being sincere), have mixed emotions about building yet another fixture in my small shop.

I have about 3-4 feet of horizontal wall space if I go through with it.

No easy answer.

Can you all share any ideas or pictures please that may help me out?

I been watching that 'Tiny House' series some to see what space saving ideas they have.....Would be great if I could just snap my fingers and a complete set up would appear, with all my sharpening stuff set out.

Like Bewitched used to do.

Sean Hughto
02-11-2015, 1:11 PM
probably no help at all since it's not tiny, but for what little it may be worth:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2486/4141838751_c70051cfe7_o.jpg

Sean Hughto
02-11-2015, 1:37 PM
As I think about, that station mostly gets used these days for my lathe tools. Most neander tools - chisel, plane, gouge, shave, etc. all get handles by a couple oil stones and LV green compound - this washita and a black or translucent:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7413/12980981914_a9049ec76f_b.jpg

So a couple stones would take up VERY little room.

Jim Koepke
02-11-2015, 1:52 PM
It has been awhile since building my small utility bench to support my power sharpening equipment. (Veritas Mk.II Power Sharpening System)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?211707-Too-Cold-in-Shop-for-Gluing

This bench was built mostly of 2X4s and some culls bought at Home Depot.

The drawer is still doing fine without being glued.

This sits next to my water stone bench which was left by the previous owner. The water set up rest on a piece of plywood, about 2'X2', that is supported by the wall and two legs. My oil stones sit on another bench across the shop.

Sometimes it is better to build a prototype to test out what works and what doesn't.

This one was built because my wife wanted to use the B&D WorkMate that used to support the Power Sharpening System.

It was quick, easy and it works.

jtk

Jim Matthews
02-11-2015, 9:38 PM
I've got an array of diamond stones stuck to a single sheet of plywood.

It's roughly 2x3 feet. The bath and vanity caulk holds the plates down.

It fits right under my bench.

ken hatch
02-11-2015, 9:55 PM
My sharpening station/bench has two parts. The first is on an old repurposed work bench (my first woodworking work bench made in the late 70's). on the left end are my water stones, the middle is the stropping area, and the right end has my oil, diamond, and Spyderco stones. Above the bench is a cabinet with extra stones and other sharpening gear.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/sharpeningbenchWaterOil_zps10a4253f.jpg

The second station is the saw and grinding station in the 'tool room" aka Fibber McGee's closet.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh222/VTXAZ/sharpeningBenchGrinders_zpsc8d07e5e.jpg

What you can't see is the stone bench is only a step away from the working end of my main bench. The saw and grinding area is not as convent but still close.

Patrick Harper
02-12-2015, 7:40 AM
Ken, that's one heck of a sharpening setup. I hardly have that much room in my entire shop.

David Ragan
02-12-2015, 9:31 AM
Thanks folks, keep em coming:)

Does anyone have a better way to set up the Veritas Mk II honing guide for bevel, etc? Like, I see where lots of folks have a definite stop screwed into the bench so the blade can just be inserted, aligned, and secured. ]

Wouldn't it be great to have an elf to do all this? I suppose I ought to enjoy the Zen of it all.....

ken hatch
02-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Ken, that's one heck of a sharpening setup. I hardly have that much room in my entire shop.

Patrick,

It works.

My shop is small, although I expect bigger than some. Because I have zero patience for hassle and the sharpening bench, with the exception of the main working bench, is the most important tool in the shop. I make room for it.

ken

Tom M King
02-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks folks, keep em coming:)

Does anyone have a better way to set up the Veritas Mk II honing guide for bevel, etc? Like, I see where lots of folks have a definite stop screwed into the bench so the blade can just be inserted, aligned, and secured. ]

Wouldn't it be great to have an elf to do all this? I suppose I ought to enjoy the Zen of it all.....

I just have some knife lines scored on the varnish covered grinder base. I never felt the need to have something to jamb the blade into. I have lines for various bevel angles, and MKII, Eclipse, and Record guides. I don't always use a guide, but if I'm doing a bunch at one time, or my helpers are honing something, we use a guide. The guide goes upside down against the grinder base, and cutting edge gets set to the right line. The thing that attaches to the front of the MKII is almost always too fiddly, and unnecessary.