PDA

View Full Version : Belt Sizes for Delta Drill Press - 17-950L

Mike Tekin
02-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Good morning,

I have a Delta Drill press, model 17-950L (the one Lowes used to carry). The belts are badly worn and want to get replacements without going through Delta parts since they are a hassle and want to get a better quality belt.

I can't read the size on the side of the belts since they are badly worn and was wondering if anyone who has this drill press can share the sizes with me...

I think the sizes start with an "A"

Thanks

Bernie Kopfer
02-11-2015, 3:01 PM
I have this drillpress and replaced the belts a long time ago with the power twist v-belts. Less vibration and quieter. These are available at Amazon and all the other woodworking stores. Very easy to adjust and install.

Dennis Heskett
02-11-2015, 3:03 PM
Hi,
A-25.5 and A-27. I think you can get at auto parts stores as well as what Bernie recommended.

Dennis

glenn bradley
02-11-2015, 3:58 PM
Link belts went on mine from day one. I would recommend this. I can try to take a look at the belts this evening if you haven't already decided that you would like easier speed changes and less vibration ;-)

John Coloccia
02-11-2015, 4:31 PM
I replaced mine with link belts years ago. Don't even bother with the replacement belts. Just get the link belts from your local Woodcraft, or order them.

Mike Tekin
02-11-2015, 4:44 PM
Thanks Dennis! - I think you guys convinced me to go the Link belt route- Thanks all

To be truthful I am not happy with this drill press as their is also a ton of slop which Delta was worthless trying to fix but I will just keep with it...

Hi,
A-25.5 and A-27. I think you can get at auto parts stores as well as what Bernie recommended.

Dennis

John Coloccia
02-11-2015, 5:42 PM
Thanks Dennis! - I think you guys convinced me to go the Link belt route- Thanks all

To be truthful I am not happy with this drill press as their is also a ton of slop which Delta was worthless trying to fix but I will just keep with it...

Lookup my posts on fixing that slop. I didn't invent the technique, but I think we have the same exact drill press so it might help you a bit. The plug with setscrew is not the best way because the plug is a little loose. I plan on replacing it at some point, but now that the holes are drilled, it's easy to do whatever I want.

The CORRECT way to do these sort of things, if you're not going to use a split head design, is to chrome and lap the bosses. You would never do that on a drill press as that costs as much as the drill press. The other correct way is a split head design, which used to be how every drill press was made. The problem is made all the worse because manufacturers try to squeeze every millimeter of travel out of the quill, forcing the bosses to be very close to each other.