PDA

View Full Version : Very "unique" project post

Robby Phelps
07-27-2005, 9:11 PM
Hey everyone. Just got back from Kansas City MO. I delivered a very "unique" computer credenza that I designed and made for a law firm there. You may remember a previous post of mine That showed a reception desk that i made. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18000 This piece is for the same law firm. The lawyer it was made for had a very cool mahogany cubist art deco desk already in her office and wanted a computer credenza out of that would compliment it but not copy it.

The credenza is made of Wenge, Jatoba, and reconstituted "Italian Rosewood" veneer and solid wood. It was a real challenge to make but a lot of fun as well. I had quite a few folks come by the shop and check it out. I had comments like "wow that is the coolest thing I have ever seen!" to "I wouldn't pay $10 for that at a garage sale." It is pretty funny sometimes peoples reaction to my work.

Thanks for looking.

Robby Phelps
07-27-2005, 9:13 PM
Here are some more photos of the back

Robby Phelps
07-27-2005, 9:13 PM
and a close up of the handles i made

Joe Unni
07-27-2005, 9:28 PM
Robby - it's just beautiful!

Thank you!
-joe

Kurt Voss
07-27-2005, 9:30 PM
Wow - me like!

Those drawers are really stunning and the whole effect is nicely balanced. Wouldn't be surprised if the firm keeps you busy for the next couple of years!

Bob Noles
07-27-2005, 9:36 PM
Robby,

That is a great looking design for a modern office. You did a fantastic job and have a keen eye for detail.

Thanks for sharing.

Bruce Page
07-27-2005, 9:37 PM
Very elegant! Your work is outstanding!

Doug Shepard
07-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Well if you put one in a garage sale I'll pay $10 bucks for it!! Very cool.

Roger Barga
07-27-2005, 10:10 PM
very nicely done!

Robert Ziegler
07-27-2005, 10:16 PM
"I had comments like "wow that is the coolest thing I have ever seen!" to "I wouldn't pay $10 for that at a garage sale." It is pretty funny sometimes peoples reaction to my work."

Sell to the ones that 'get it.' The rest provide comic relief. They aren't in the club.

By the way, VERY nice work.
:)

Jim Becker
07-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Now, that's a very kewel piece, Robby!! Outstanding!

Jeff A. Smith
07-27-2005, 10:57 PM
That is a stellar piece! That's really a unique design and appears to be impressively constructed. BTW... where did you get your wood? I really am asking, was it local or mail-order???

Thanks for the inspiration!

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

Dale Thompson
07-27-2005, 10:57 PM
Robby,
I love the combination of wood that you used on the credenza!! :) One of the beautiful aspects of wood is that it is wood. Most "blends" fit beautifully together and you have certainly proven that hypothesis. :D

I recently posted pictures of an office piece that I made for my daughter. I meant to embarrass her by using Oak, Mahogany, Cocobola, Bloodwood, Ash and a touch of Pine. I'm getting tired of "giving" all my stuff away. It didn't work!! :( She gets daily compliments on the piece that "my dad" made. :eek: What a "bummer"! ;)

Whatever, Robby, you are a true artist and I love the way that talented artists can use combinations of wood to create a true masterpiece! :)

Don't even ASK how jealous I am! :mad: :mad: :)

Dale T.

Keith Christopher
07-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Robby,

Wonderful design and execution ! Bottom line for all those commenters: did the client like it ? ;)

Jim B,

Your avatar icons are beginning to scare me. I think you need to start wearing the dust masks more often when sanding. LOL. :D

Dale,

problem is you're not collecting the money up front !

Keith

Corey Hallagan
07-27-2005, 11:25 PM
WOW!! Don't know what to say.

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
07-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Great work Robby. I like the combination of materials, and the overall lines of the piece. Looks like it would have been a fun one to build.

- Vaughn

Dan Oliphant
07-28-2005, 12:09 AM
That is WAY cool, super design and execution.

Steve Roxberg
07-28-2005, 12:46 AM
Awesome work, and what do you mean your in Kansas City and don't let me know.

I'd love to meet you, and better yet help with the install. I could act like I had something to do with the creation.

Again, very nice and let me know if you come back to KC.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-28-2005, 1:45 AM
Robby....I'm not a "modern" fan but....I like that credenza! Beautiful form and use of contrasting woods!

Dan Forman
07-28-2005, 3:28 AM
A beautiful piece showing lots of imagination.

Dan

Alan Turner
07-28-2005, 4:27 AM
Nice work, Robby. Did you bag the veneers? Were they all commercial, or did you cut some yourself?

Mark J Bachler
07-28-2005, 7:34 AM
Great job. Do you have a web site with more of your work on it?

Mark Singer
07-28-2005, 7:35 AM
Very original design concept! Great details and wonderful execution!

Jim Dannels
07-28-2005, 9:05 AM
That is one stunning piece! Beautiful Wood and execution.
For those who like that style it is perfect.
Since my tastes run more towards Shaker Designs, I can understand that not everyone will like it.
But the only person whos opinion really counts, is the one who writes the check.

By the way, I would give $10 for it at a garage sale, take it home tear it apart and reuse the wood in something more to my tastes.:D

Chris Padilla
07-28-2005, 11:58 AM
I see this was made to be exhibited from all sides...you did a wonderful job! I does look like it was fun to build!

Frank Lopez
07-28-2005, 4:09 PM
Robby,

Very unique indeed. Its not my taste, but then again, its not mine. Beautiful work. Your customer should be very pleased.

Hank Knight
07-28-2005, 4:18 PM
Robby,

I admire both the design and the execution. You did a great job on both. The piece will make a nice addition to you portfolio. I hope it made a nice addition to your pocketbook - one worthy of your skill and work.

Robby Phelps
07-28-2005, 5:35 PM
Thanks for all of the compliments guys. I will try to answer all the questions. If I miss anyone let me know.

Jim... Your new avatar photo freaks me out man.:D

J.A. Smith... The woods came from a couple sources. I got the veneer from Oak Wood veneer. They are great to work with. The solid wood came from MacBeaths, a local hardwood dealer.

Alan...I did vacum veneer this one. Also all the veneers were bought from Oak Wood.

Keith... They clients were extremly happy. They have on order two more pieces for their office. They are also going to fly me over to Kansas City to go to the open house they are having. Should be great for me to shmooze with a bunch of well to do lawyers. Could be very fruitful.

Mark... I do have a website that shows more of my work. Click on my photo above and it will take you to my profile. There you will find a link to my site.

Steve... sorry about not letting everyone know i was heading to Kansas City. I will be traveling their again soon and will post it. I would love to meet some Creekers face to face.

Gail O'Rourke
07-28-2005, 6:50 PM
Robby,

I love this credenza, it is amazing. I think the ability to take what your customer has in their mind and make something elegant, yet still functional is an art that you have mastered.

Perfect execution, awesome job.

Dale Thompson
07-28-2005, 9:24 PM
Robby,

Dale,

problem is you're not collecting the money up front ! Keith

Keith,
You must think that I am stupid or something. :( :D With my infinite wisdom, I ALWAYS ask her for an "up-front" payment. I always get a check, a tear and a kiss. Her checks always bounce but the tears and the kisses are treasured forever!! :) :) I should have beaten her more often when she was a kid! :eek: :cool: ;) What more can I say? :confused:

Dale T.

Kelly C. Hanna
07-29-2005, 7:21 AM
Very, very nice work! I ama big fan of contrasting woods and yours look great. I also really like the handle you made...very cool.

Jim...you been travelling a lot lately? :cool: