PDA

View Full Version : Local 'Art in Wood' show/contest

Thom Sturgill
02-10-2015, 10:31 AM
The local woodcarvers have held an annual show / contest for years. While the turners were invited, they did not have a separate division in the judging for turned items. Last year they changed venues and so that they are in a hall rather than in tents along a causeway. The turners did not show last year as we could only get one table. This year we had three and the expanded the judging to include five categories of turning at three levels.

I entered five pieces, two in hollow forms:
these have been posted here before, but I re-worked the finial on the black piece to thin down the center area.

And I entered three as 'other' because we could not decide whether goblets were 'spindle' or not (miniatures are specifically 'other'):

There is discussion of re-working the categories for next year. This year was the most entries they have ever had in turning. We covered a 6' x 8' table with very little table showing. There is also talk of hiring a professional from outside the area to judge as one of the judges (our ex-president) knew who turned each piece.

All of these have been posted here in the past except the small goblet:
This is more of the seagrape from a box I turned. The stem is a holly scrap from this winters ornaments. The stem is fluted top and bottom and there is a pewter Celtic knot inlayed in the bottom of the base. The goblet stands 4 1/2" tall.

I entered in the middle level as they described the upper level as 'professional' and I do not sell. I probably will be in the top division next year :D

David Delo
02-10-2015, 10:44 AM
1st place ribbon for your miniature table setting is a no-brainer, It's just way over the top coooool. But I'd ask for a recount on your off center stemmed goblet. That's a very nice and skillfully done piece.

John Keeton
02-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Some excellent work, Thom!!! Congrats on the ribbons and I think you definitely need to be in the professional level.

I love the color of the seagrape. Never heard of it before, but it sure is rich looking.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-10-2015, 10:52 AM
I'd say your two hollow forms forced you into the professional level. Congratulations on the ribbons!

Nicely done Thom!

Roger Chandler
02-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Well deserved win, Thom! Love those miniatures, and your hollow forms look really nice....good lookin' goblet!

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Very impressive work Thom! Congrats on all your wins!

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-10-2015, 12:55 PM
All great pieces, Thom. Congrats on the accolades.They are well deserved.
faust

Sid Matheny
02-10-2015, 1:18 PM
They all look like blue ribbon winners to me Thom!

Sid

Thom Sturgill
02-10-2015, 3:46 PM
Thanks for the complements, guys! When I look back over even just the last two years, I can see quite an improvement and not just that I've started embellishing my turnings.

Jon Nuckles
02-10-2015, 4:32 PM
All great turnings, Thom. The folks competing in level 2 will be glad to see you go up a level next year!

Steve Huffman
02-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Congratulations on the show/contest and the well deserved ribbons...nice work!

John Terefenko
02-10-2015, 11:22 PM
All first place winners in my book. Thanks for showing. Love to look at eye candy such as this.

Dan Hintz
02-11-2015, 6:50 AM
Love the burned-in feather accents on that first piece...

Jim Seyfried
02-11-2015, 8:51 AM
Congratulations Thom! They all look fantastic...I'd say you ribboned out of the B class too! The seagrape and holly is one of my favorites and the fluted base of the stem really takes it up a notch for me. Great job on all of them!

Mark Detrick
02-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Congratulations on the well deserved ribbons...all are outstanding work!

charlie knighton
02-11-2015, 11:26 AM
congratulations, Thom nice works

Hayes Rutherford
02-11-2015, 8:14 PM
Thom, those are some nice pieces. I'd like to see more pyro from you.

Michelle Rich
02-12-2015, 4:15 AM
great job! congrats on the ribbons!

Steve Doerr
02-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Great looking pieces Thom, and congratulations on your awards. Well deserved.