PDA

View Full Version : Leave waterstones in the water?

David Ragan
02-10-2015, 9:31 AM
I have the LV stone pond set up. Have left the stones in there for a few years with no apparent problem. Don't use them that often either.

The Shaptons, i understand, will disintegrate if left in water, so they are dry.

I just leave the LV stones, King stone, etc in the water cause when Im ready to use, its too much of a hassle to wait 10 minutes for them to saturate. I have put a couple drops of bleach in the water to inhibit critters.

What do you all thinkest bout that?

Malcolm Schweizer
02-10-2015, 9:44 AM
My Norton 8000 got noticeably soft when left in water for two weeks during a long stretch of building stuff. I was able to dress it with a flattening plate and the deeper I went the better it was. Since then I stopped doing it for any stones. There are certainly some that you cannot soak for long periods, and it isn't worth it to me to find out which is and which isn't able to be soaked.

David Wong
02-10-2015, 12:20 PM
I have all my coarse stones (#220 - #1000) soaking in water. King, Sigma, Beston, brands.

Brian Holcombe
02-10-2015, 12:32 PM
None for me, my best stones seem to prefer a quick soak over a long soak.

Jim Koepke
02-10-2015, 1:15 PM
For me this depends on the time of year. Stones can't be used if they are stuck in a block of ice.

If any amount of time is to be spent in the shop when it is not freezing it is likely something is going to need sharpening before the day is done. My only stone that requires much of a soak is a Norton 1000. My 4000 and 8000 seem pretty good with a dunk and go approach.

The 1000 soaks until the bubbles stop rising. It is also given liberal sprayings from the water bottle when in use.

Though at times they have all been left sitting in the pond waiting to be used.

jtk

Winton Applegate
02-10-2015, 7:08 PM
First off I pretty much only use Shapton Pros now (splash and go)(actually I run it under the kitchen faucet).
When I was using soakers I kept the Norton 4000 and a rather generic 700 in small separate tupaware with lids.
I found if I used city water with lids on the tubs I had zero prob with sliminess or growths; even for months with the same water. (before I used lids I had lots of slime and nastiness)
I would use these out of the tubs and rinse and flatten or use a nagua before putting them back in the tub for storage.
The finer stones don't need ten minutes Norton 8000 etc. I stored them dry and splashed.
The very coarse stones (220, 300 not shown) suck up water pretty fast when submerged, a minute for them is enough and store dry.
Sooooooo
you asked.

PS: oh and now I look at the photo I have the 1000 king stone in there with the 700.
again . . . I found no need for added soap or bleach. Only the slight amount of chlorine in the city water and they don't over do it with chlorine here at the head waters at the foot of a 14,000 peak of the Rocky Mountains.

Winton Applegate
02-10-2015, 7:20 PM
Just a Dunk or a Splash on the Norton 4000
I kinda recommend lots of water for that one. (keep'er submerged)
It is a real cutter for it's fine grit and I think it takes a lot of water to keep the pores unloaded.
Probably keeping it loaded up has it's place but then it will be more like a 5K or 6K.

Hey THANKS
now I have a reason to buy another stone to test out this theory.
:rolleyes:

george wilson
02-11-2015, 9:37 AM
You guys be careful about letting stone sludge go down your sink drains. Over time,it could stop up your drain,and there is nothing that will dissolve it!

Harold Burrell
02-11-2015, 9:55 AM
You guys be careful about letting stone sludge go down your sink drains. Over time,it could stop up your drain,and there is nothing that will dissolve it!

Yeah...

I dump mine in my driveway...hoping that eventually it will be paved. ;)