PDA

View Full Version : I Want to Identify this Plane

Chuck Hart
02-09-2015, 9:11 PM
I picked up this plane in a auction I forgot I bid on. It is a Stanley 6 but I cannot find a patented date anywhere. It has a blade with Stanley SW. There is nothing on the frog. The jappaning is good, the knob and tote are in excellent shape rhe knob has a couple flecks of paint. The tote still has part of the Stanley decal. Can anyone identify what year this from?

Jim Koepke
02-09-2015, 9:33 PM
Most likely a type 15. Ring around knob base, no patent date, arch topped frog.

1931-1932

https://home.comcast.net/~rarebear/planes101/typing/typing.htm

jtk

Stew Denton
02-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Chuck,

+1 on Jims ID.

Stew

Chuck Hart
02-10-2015, 1:54 AM
I looked at the web site. No orange lever cap. The markings for "Bailey" "Made in U.S.A" and "6" are not as described but that may be that it is a larger plane than the one shown. I am going to clean it up and see if I find anything else. I am really surprised at how wedll the japanning has held up. There is some rust and I am going to try and clean it but I don't like using electrical method or harsh chemicals. I hope the rust just cleans up with soap and manual labor. The sole is flat so that's a big help also. Thanks for responding I just couldn't find any reference for no patent date.

Chuck

Jim Koepke
02-10-2015, 3:10 AM
Chuck,

The type studies are just a jumping off point. Stanley used stock on hand to build planes. They had no inkling of people being interested as to when a plane was made.

Sometimes parts may have been changed in captivity as some might call it.

jtk

don wilwol
02-10-2015, 8:44 AM
I looked at the web site. No orange lever cap. The markings for "Bailey" "Made in U.S.A" and "6" are not as described but that may be that it is a larger plane than the one shown. I am going to clean it up and see if I find anything else. I am really surprised at how wedll the japanning has held up. There is some rust and I am going to try and clean it but I don't like using electrical method or harsh chemicals. I hope the rust just cleans up with soap and manual labor. The sole is flat so that's a big help also. Thanks for responding I just couldn't find any reference for no patent date.

Chuck

http://www.timetestedtools.com/typing-stanley-bench-planes.html

a couple of notes, most type studies were based on a #4 size, so difference sizes may vary, and as Jim stated, its not unusual to find mixed parts, either from the factory or they have been changed over time.