PDA

View Full Version : Im surprised how much pplanes have went up in the last couple years(secondary market)

Phillip West
02-09-2015, 9:04 PM
I have not bought any planes (off the net,auction sites) in the last couple years..A friend needed some tools and I sold him a 9 1/2, a 151 spokeshave(still have one left) and a 51..Also another block plane,cant remember which one now..The last couple months Ive had the urge to replace them..Wow, the same nice early 9 1/2 I paid $25 is now going for $40-$45 and Ive seen several 151's go for more than $50+ each..Guess I was just a little surprised is all..Not that I should be, many old quaility tools have done the same thing :rolleyes: Supply and demand I guess.

Winton Applegate
02-09-2015, 9:28 PM
If you want your breath taken away look at the price of Clark and Williams planes (now Old Street Tools). My four hundred dollar plane doubled in price. They don't take orders any more.

You can have my Old Street Smoother when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
Not gonna sell, nope not gonna do it.

Charles Bjorgen
02-10-2015, 6:21 AM
You're right, Phillip. Lately I've been tracking no. 3 Vintage Stanleys on the bay, bid on a couple, and have been astounded at the final selling prices. Most seem to be going for $60 and more. When I first started acquiring hand planes in the late nineties, $20 seemed pretty much standard for threes and fours. For me locally, Craigslist seems a better price option but the desireable items don't come along very often.

Chris Hachet
02-10-2015, 7:19 AM
I have The following Stanley Planes, use all of them regularly-

#220 block

#9 1/2

1-#3

2-#4 (type 15, type 17)

2-#5 (Type 13, Type 16)

I have less than $75 in the whole lot, and that includes the Hock chip breaker I put into one fo the #5's.

Considering that I have been using several of these for twenty plus years, methinks I have gotten my money out of them.

Pat Barry
02-10-2015, 8:15 AM
That's because folks like our own steven newman are buying up all they can find and driving up the prices. LOL

Zach Dillinger
02-10-2015, 8:40 AM
If you want your breath taken away look at the price of Clark and Williams planes (now Old Street Tools). My four hundred dollar plane doubled in price. They don't take orders any more.

You can have my Old Street Smoother when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
Not gonna sell, nope not gonna do it.

I absolutely love my Old Street smoother... but for $800 someone could probably pry it from my cold dead hands. That's a heck of a return on investment.

(please note, dear moderators, that this is a joke and should not be construed as an out of place classified ad).

Chris Hachet
02-10-2015, 8:57 AM
That's because folks like our own steven newman are buying up all they can find and driving up the prices. LOL

Steven neuman has an amazing ability to find planes and saws at amazing prices. He's got a stack of distons and other interesting saws that he ahs picked up for a dollar or two apece in his shop.

Chris Hachet
02-10-2015, 8:59 AM
I absolutely love my Old Street smoother... but for $800 someone could probably pry it from my cold dead hands. That's a heck of a return on investment.

(please note, dear moderators, that this is a joke and should not be construed as an out of place classified ad).

there are other makers of interesting wooden bodied planes. For me personally, I have the Fancy ECE Primus smoother with the Norris style adjustment. Best Plane in my inventory. I bought it back in the 80's, it even says made in West Germany on it...rather than just made in Germany.

I think I paid $65 or something for it. Again, not a bad return on investment for a plane I have used regularly for 20 plus years.

Zach Dillinger
02-10-2015, 9:08 AM
there are other makers of interesting wooden bodied planes. For me personally, I have the Fancy ECE Primus smoother with the Norris style adjustment. Best Plane in my inventory. I bought it back in the 80's, it even says made in West Germany on it...rather than just made in Germany.

I think I paid $65 or something for it. Again, not a bad return on investment for a plane I have used regularly for 20 plus years.

For sure. I just made a gerfschaaf plane for myself (after being unable to find a reasonably priced full size version of one on this side of the Atlantic) and, while it isn't as pretty as my Old Street, it does work wonderfully well. I've found myself getting more interested in continental European planes lately and have thought about picking up one of the premium horned smoothers.

Judson Green
02-10-2015, 9:15 AM
For sure. I just made a gerfschaaf plane for myself (after being unable to find a reasonably priced full size version of one on this side of the Atlantic) and, while it isn't as pretty as my Old Street, it does work wonderfully well. I've found myself getting more interested in continental European planes lately and have thought about picking up one of the premium horned smoothers.

Cool Zach! Could ya maybe share some of your build?

Zach Dillinger
02-10-2015, 9:42 AM
Judson, this was a quick and dirty plane project. I literally spent about 3 hours on this and didn't take any pictures along the way. I just wanted to get a feel for the style of the plane before investing any real time in a "nice" one. That said, I may never make the "nice" one as this one works very well. It wouldn't pass an Amsterdam planemaker's guild inspection but it doesn't have to for excellent performance.

I can tell you it is hard maple and that the iron is bedded at 50 degrees or so. I have since cleaned up the chamfers on the side to make the line consistent the whole length of the plane.

Kees Heiden
02-10-2015, 9:54 AM
Cool indeed, Zach! And much cheaper then buying them overseas where prices have gone up a lot too in recent years.

Chris Hachet
02-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Cool indeed, Zach! And much cheaper then buying them overseas where prices have gone up a lot too in recent years.

Nice work, Zach!

Winton Applegate
02-10-2015, 6:17 PM
the Fancy ECE Primus smoother with the Norris style adjustment. Best Plane in my inventory. I bought it back in the 80's, it even says made in West Germany on it

Warning : you are now approaching a rat hole, legend has it that it is most likely short though there is no telling what magic forces and space/time distorting anomalies that may lay in wait if you enter . . .

Chris,
So your West German Norris adj is different than this one
see photo
pardon photo; I already had it at the ready here rather than taking a better one. (it was used in a previous thread to demonstrate my high tech and futuristic plane storage systems-approach-method)(HTFPSAM for short).
Note the high strength to weight honeycomb, air craft style materials used in constructing it.

Any chance you could show us your cool one ?

Winton Applegate
02-10-2015, 6:31 PM
just made a gerfschaaf plan
Zach,

NICE ONE !
My gosh . . . what kind of wood is that; white alovian white wood from the white part of the flitch ?
Is there finish on it yet ?

Winton Applegate
02-10-2015, 6:39 PM
Phillip,

So there you have it !
The solution to your economy plane buying dilemma and weapons to wield in the battle against insidious (and no doubt government spawned) inflated hand plane prices.

Buy some blades, from yard sales, flee markets, maybe from these guys here . . .
Buy a plane maker's float, or better yet make one of David W.s squared off chisel/scraper guys

annnnnnnnnnn get to work.

I love it when a thread comes together to solve a challenging issue.

Chris Hachet
02-10-2015, 9:11 PM
Warning : you are now approaching a rat hole, legend has it that it is most likely short though there is no telling what magic forces and space/time distorting anomalies that may lay in wait if you enter . . .

Chris,
So your West German Norris adj is different than this one
see photo
pardon photo; I already had it at the ready here rather than taking a better one. (it was used in a previous thread to demonstrate my high tech and futuristic plane storage systems-approach-method)(HTFPSAM for short).
Note the high strength to weight honeycomb, air craft style materials used in constructing it.

Any chance you could show us your cool one ?

Mine is similar to the one in the photograph.

Phillip West
02-10-2015, 9:29 PM
I saw a 9 1/2 go for $70+ tonight and a #3 go for $60+

Winton Applegate
02-11-2015, 12:32 AM
Chris,

Anyway you inspired me to dig mine out. Not what I would call a Norris adjuster though.
. . . although now that you mention it I guess it is.

Zach Dillinger
02-11-2015, 8:11 AM
Zach,

NICE ONE !
My gosh . . . what kind of wood is that; white alovian white wood from the white part of the flitch ?
Is there finish on it yet ?

It is made from hard maple. No finish on it in that picture but it now has some blonde shellac so it hasn't darkened all that much.

Chris Hachet
02-11-2015, 8:14 AM
Phillip,

So there you have it !
The solution to your economy plane buying dilemma and weapons to wield in the battle against insidious (and no doubt government spawned) inflated hand plane prices.

Buy some blades, from yard sales, flee markets, maybe from these guys here . . .
Buy a plane maker's float, or better yet make one of David W.s squared off chisel/scraper guys

annnnnnnnnnn get to work.

I love it when a thread comes together to solve a challenging issue.

I am very tempted to try to build one of the planes like David W. He has a really nice and thorough video set on You tube. His planes are very similar to one I traded to our own Steven C. Neuman for my extra #4 and #5 Stanley Bailey.

I really prefer wooden planes, but I am finding out that I like a lower center of gravity in my work when I plane. My Ulmia wooden joiner is great for the faces of boards, I can plane all day long and not get tired because the plane is lighter and slides so nicely over the wood. Thus I think I am going to add a LV LA Jointer to the fleet, which will be the first real high 4 I have spent on a plane.

Scott Meeks makes planes I find both attractive and fitting my criteria of what I like in planes....$500 plus for a smoother and a grand for a jointer is a bit steep for my current budget though.

Still, I do think the Krenov style planes are sweet!

Chris Hachet
02-11-2015, 8:15 AM
...added to note...I ahve several nice pieces of beech left over as shorts from the workbench I am building, air dried for 40 years. I think I will check out David W's videos at break time today.

Winton, thanks also for posting pics of your ECE style plane. Tune her up and make some shavings!

Phillip West
02-11-2015, 9:49 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, Im not a bit above paying for good tools..Good tools pay our bills, I was just somewhat surprised because I had not looked lately..

Chris Hachet
02-11-2015, 9:52 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, Im not a bit above paying for good tools..Good tools pay our bills, I was just somewhat surprised because I had not looked lately..

I would think rust would still be available (old prewar Stanley stuff) in rural eastern Kentucky. There is stiff interesting stuff showing up here in central Ohio.

Phillip West
02-11-2015, 10:45 AM
I would think rust would still be available (old prewar Stanley stuff) in rural eastern Kentucky. There is stiff interesting stuff showing up here in central Ohio.
There is , we have a lot of flea markets but they are kinda bare this time of year...Ive bought a lot of nice old tools around here..

Jonas Andersson
02-11-2015, 10:49 AM
I think it is nice that these fine old tools start getting a higher value.