PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gallery Added

Roger Chandler
02-09-2015, 8:26 PM
Today I got word that I have been accepted at a 2nd gallery. I take about 2 dozen items for a display on Wednesday. From talking to a couple of other turners, they tell me sales are pretty consistant at this one.....I sure hope that is the case.

I have been approached on 3 different occasions to put items there, but moved slowly as I was getting all my tax numbers set up and got inventory made..........

Wish me luck! I will need it!

David Delo
02-09-2015, 8:32 PM
Good luck and congrats! You'll do fine.

Thom Sturgill
02-09-2015, 8:35 PM
Good luck! From what I've seen of your work it should sell well.

charlie knighton
02-09-2015, 8:53 PM
good luck and good idea to take care of the tax stuff early......do you have to pay machine tax.....somehow when I pay the sales tax quarterly, its picked up on personal property tax with vehicles and john boat......ounce you get your tools inventoried on spreadsheet you just add the new stuff yearly and let them do the depreciation....

Roger Chandler
02-09-2015, 8:58 PM
good luck and good idea to take care of the tax stuff early......do you have to pay machine tax.....somehow when I pay the sales tax quarterly, its picked up on personal property tax with vehicles and john boat......ounce you get your tools inventoried on spreadsheet you just add the new stuff yearly and let them do the depreciation....

Not sure Charlie..........my accountant will have to give me guidance on that issue. At this point I pay sales tax on a monthly basis.

charlie knighton
02-10-2015, 6:49 AM
well, I was on monthly basis for a long time, over 5 years, then Richmond decided that my wheelbarrow of $$$$ could get by quarterly......my city is a leading advocate of tools tax......this is the first year I do not have to have a city license......use to have the fee if I put items for sale.....did not have to sell any, just put them up for sale, now if my sales are under $10000 all I have to do is register, they mail me a certificate.......when I turn in my inventory of tools (by march 1) they want a copy of schedule c for the preceding year.......spreadsheet is the way to go......unless you have your accountant

Roger Chandler
02-10-2015, 7:04 AM
well, I was on monthly basis for a long time, over 5 years, then Richmond decided that my wheelbarrow of $$$$ could get by quarterly......my city is a leading advocate of tools tax......this is the first year I do not have to have a city license......use to have the fee if I put items for sale.....did not have to sell any, just put them up for sale, now if my sales are under $10000 all I have to do is register, they mail me a certificate.......when I turn in my inventory of tools (by march 1) they want a copy of schedule c for the preceding year.......spreadsheet is the way to go......unless you have your accountant

I think my county juat taxes vehicles, trailers and real estate........but I will certainly find out from my accountant! Thanks Charlie!

charlie knighton
02-10-2015, 7:19 AM
well, I was surprised myself......the city went back 3 years and I had to pay for 3 years of business licence and tools tax both......definitely not something I want to do again......the great thing about it ....they would send me 1 bill, I would pay it...then they would send me another bill a couple months later.....it was crazy, they seemed to enjoy lagging the arrears out.....took almost 3 years to finally get it all done.......mostly $30 here and $70 there......it was irritating the first couple of bills, then it became funny, and I enjoyed going down and paying in person....the city revenue employees are friendly and engaging and I never knew when I would get another bill

Thom Sturgill
02-10-2015, 7:25 AM
This sounds like one of the primary reasons that I DIDN'T retire to NC/VA but stayed in Florida.

Tony De Masi
02-10-2015, 7:41 AM
Good luck with the new gallery Roger.

Roger Chandler
02-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Good luck with the new gallery Roger.

Thanks Tony.......I hope the economy improves.......would make things better for the sales prospects!

Roger Chandler
02-10-2015, 11:20 AM
well, I was surprised myself......the city went back 3 years and I had to pay for 3 years of business licence and tools tax both......definitely not something I want to do again......the great thing about it ....they would send me 1 bill, I would pay it...then they would send me another bill a couple months later.....it was crazy, they seemed to enjoy lagging the arrears out.....took almost 3 years to finally get it all done.......mostly $30 here and $70 there......it was irritating the first couple of bills, then it became funny, and I enjoyed going down and paying in person....the city revenue employees are friendly and engaging and I never knew when I would get another bill

I sure don't need that kind of hassle! :eek:

charlie knighton
02-10-2015, 11:51 AM
i am sure it depends on your cities finances....but the tool tax is paid on the personal property tax with vehicles, boats, etc.....when they changed the business licence fee and certicate I thought the tool tax was gone too....was informed its a state tax......really can not fight city hall

good luck with your galleries, remember your success as a woodturner does not depend on what the public thinks or reacts, you have turned long enough to have a thick skin, you know when you nailed it