PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid & Home Depot

Keith Pleas
02-09-2015, 5:11 PM
Like many of you I have some Ridgid tools - I can't remember the particular decision processes, but we all know that Ridgid offers a Lifetime guarantee if you go through the steps within 90 days of purchase. I did all of that with the SCMS and TS I bought in 2008. I still have the emails acknowledging creating the Ridgid.com account and registering those tools - 7 years ago.

So this weekend I bought a Ridgid EB4424 spindle sander. I checked Amazon and the price was $379, compared to $199 at HD. That was a no-brainer, and I drove the 8 minutes to HD and grabbed one. Then I logged back onto Ridgid.com - after 7 years I still have my logon info - and there were my previous purchases (including a recip saw in 2010 that I forgot about) - but all with "3 Year Warranty", and all expired. Huh? I know damned well I did the complete process - cutting out the box tag, mailing it in - and I assumed that was that. So I called Ridgid and asked what happened?

They are still waiting on the receipts, though of course the 90 period is long gone. I am offered the option of writing a letter to some manager and asking for "goodwill" inclusion into the LSA (Lifetime Service Agreement, NOT a Lifetime Warranty BTW) but without a sales receipt from an "Authorized Distributor" it would be denied.

7 years ago I had the receipt - that's how I could send it to them. Could I find a copy now? Damn, that's going to be a PITA. But here's the big gotcha - it has to be from Home Depot. That's right, since 2014 Home Depot has been the ONLY Authorized Distributor of Ridgid "Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools, and Pneumatic Tools" (https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/three-year-limited-lsa). It says right there: "Note: The RIDGID Lifetime Service Agreement is only available for eligible RIDGID tools purchased at THE HOME DEPOT."

I honestly don't recall where I bought those tools 7 years ago, but I'm pretty sure that before my go-to purchase channel became Amazon Prime with free shipping I would have bought them at HD. Like I said, it's 8 minutes from my house and I'm there several times a week. Every week.

The Ridgid tools are operating just fine, I haven't had any problems with them, but I now see their LSA as a giant gotcha with almost no real value.

Should I go through the hoops and register my new spindle sander? I was informed that if I sent the paperwork in within 90 days of purchase, but did not receive an acknowledgement within 6 to 8 weeks (i.e. 42 to 56 days) then they did not receive it. At which point, what? I won't have the box tag - I had to send that in along with my original receipt. So then I suppose I could write the letter to the manager...<sigh>

John Schweikert
02-09-2015, 5:24 PM
If Ridgid tools are important to you and their LSA is important to you (The LSA is quite hit and miss for many owners) then spend a few dollars each time for certified mail with return receipt, no different than when you send paperwork to the IRS or other legal items. Sure, you shouldn't have to resort to that path but if you want your LSA then CYA is needed (cover your a--).

I have a few Ridged tools, they work great yet I have never bothered with the jump-through-the-hoops to validate a warranty. I use the tools and that's all I expect. I can fix them myself or just get a new tool from another brand with less hassle.

Keith Pleas
02-09-2015, 5:57 PM
I was mostly boggled at the idea that HD is the only authorized distributor of Ridgid tools. I knew there was something special, just didn't realize it went far.

Randy Red Bemont
02-09-2015, 8:14 PM
If your tools were accepted into the LSA 7 years ago you should have a letter from Ridgid stating that they were accepted. I've have it for my tools and have used it on a ROS recently. My repair was free. It's a great service but you have to do it their way in order for it to work. And if you use the LSA for battery packs, you have to register the new battery pack any time you replace them. Good luck.

Red

Jim Andrew
02-09-2015, 8:17 PM
Don't they have the same deal with Ryobi tools? Not that I would buy any.

cody michael
02-09-2015, 8:17 PM
I bought a battery drill kit basically basic of the lsa I registered in a few minutes online, didn't mail anything got my confirmation email 1-2 weeks later, I have replaced 2 batteries so far, and I figure in the next 50 years I'll replace quite a few more. I thinknthe lsa sign up is annoying but not to hard and very worth while doing it online.

Bruce Wrenn
02-09-2015, 8:49 PM
Buy a CERTIFICATE of MAILING. It proves you mailed it, you don't care if they got it. Besides they will lie about not receiving it, I KNOW! Registered drill / light combo on Dec 07, 2011. Mailed in info with certificate of mailing. Fast forward to Oct 2013, and LSA still hasn't been activated. Call and they say never receiver info in mail, so most likely I didn't send it. Reminded them that I had Certificate of Mailing (dated Dec 07, 2011) in my hot little hands. Told me to send copy of COM and receipt, which I did. Last week when registering another tool asked about why LSA hadn't activated, again they said they hadn't received paperwork. This TWICE I have sent it in, yet they still don't have it. Both times it was sent first class, along with return address, so if it wasn't delivered, it would have come back to me. As for having to register replacement batteries, I'm not sure. Nothing in my original LSA says anything about having to do so. This would amount to modifying an existing contract, which I don't think is legal. That's one for the State Attorney General to handle. But I have used LSA on first drill set from 2007 to get two sets of batteries. At Christmas, HD had new 4.0 AH batteries, a set of two for $69. When they marked them down to $49, I jumped on a set, even though LSA won't apply. As for registering new sander, registration is now done all online. They will want HD receipt #, along with model and serial #. Save what you used to send in, just in case. Also print out a copy of registration ,along with reply email. I have a file labeled RIDGID to keep all info in.

Peter Quinn
02-09-2015, 8:57 PM
This sounds like a classic weed and deny scheme. If they genuinely wanted to honor their warranty as advertised they would make the process convenient, like DO IT AT THE REGISTER AT TIME OF PURCHASE for instance. They don't have any trouble offering you an extended warranty that they can validate at the register at time of purchase...how hard would it be to validate the warranty then too? They have actually offered me the extended warranty on a collated screw gun I purchased......I'm reading the box to the cashier "Lifetime warranty"? So the extended warranty covers after I'm dead? Or the tool is dead? Exactly whose lifetime does the lifetime warranty cover, I should know this before I extend that arrangement? Crickets. No response...."Sir, I have to ask you these questions". Yes, and yet nobody can answer mine!

My point is much like insurance companies (and this lifetime thing pretty much reeks of insurance company BS anyway) their goal is not to honor as many policies as possible, but to obfuscate, deny and exclude as many as possible with Byzantine registration processes, lost paper work, expired registration periods. They are very much counting on honoring as few of these lifetime arrangements as possible IMO. My plan when or if any of my rigid tools fail is to drive by the store at night and throw them through the front window.....return to original point of purchase so to speak. Like a salmon going back to its birth place to die. A very orange salmon. Or maybe placing them in a dumpster is a more law abiding way to go, they are fairly well made and will have earned a proper burial when I'm done with them.

Ever read the IKEA cabinets 25 year warranty? Had somebody (potential client) quote that to me, so I found a copy of the warranty, read it for them. Basically the warranty is only good if you never use your kitchen. Use it and it may fall apart, not our fault. They use a LOT of words to say that, hoping you pass out or expire before reading it I imagine. I'd much rather have a 3 year unlimited warranty that was actually honored than a 25 year or lifetime warranty that is basically garbage.

Dave Zellers
02-09-2015, 9:11 PM
As for registering new sander, registration is now done all online. They will want HD receipt #, along with model and serial #.
I thought so too but I got an email about 10 days later saying I had to send in the actual receipt and the UPC from the box.

They also said they recommend sending it certified mail, which I did. Now I wait.

David Cramer
02-09-2015, 9:17 PM
Hello

I dealt with the same issues back in 2008 or whenever it was that they announced the lifetime guarantee. I called the company who was the parent company of Ridgid (I forget their name). I was on a 3 way conversation coming up with scenario after scenario as to what would happen if...

One of my questions was what if a switch went bad and then they replaced it and then it went bad again, then what? I was told by both people on the phone that the lifetime of the switch would have been met after 3 times and I'd have to buy a new one myself and install it or pay them to do it. I said that's not what lifetime means and they said to read the fine print. I came up with several other questions and got answers that I didn't agree with (everything was civil and peaceful).

My neighbor got a 14.4v drill a few years ago and has three battery problems. He had issues trying to get a new one as they said he'd have drive to a service center or send it there on his dime. Now it appears that they have you go to the store tool rental, they test it, and then order a new one if they can prove that the battery is bad (I just spoke with an employee last week who verified it).

For the record, I have 2 dewalt batteries that were manufactured 200736, the 36th week of 2007. They are 7.5 years old and just starting to lose their power. I have 3 drills that were manufactured in 1997 (date is on the bottom) and they have not had one issues, nothing at all.

I know that some have had good luck, but I won't touch anything with Ridgid that involves batteries. Their orbital sander has always gotten high marks, but the battery stuff...no thanks, I'll buy DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Makita.

Respectfully,

David

Art Mann
02-09-2015, 11:28 PM
I bought a Ridgid shop vacuum a few months ago and dutifully went to their website to register the LSA. I had to join some kind of Home Depot on line membership I didn't want before I got access to the registration. Then they wanted me to do another on line membership registration with Ridgid once I got there. They required I fill out yet another form with lots of personal information that had nothing to do with tools or warranties. They made it so difficult to register the LSA that I just gave up. It is no accident that registration is so much trouble. They want be able to advertise a lifetime service agreement without actually having to furnish one. I am done buying any more tools of any brand from HD because of this. They should not sell merchandise from such a company.

Gene Takae
02-10-2015, 2:22 AM
Same story with mail-in rebates-just a gimmick to entice you to buy.

William C Rogers
02-10-2015, 7:08 AM
I have two Ridgid tools. They actually sent me a card say ing Life Time Warranty and has a number on it. Haven't had to use it.

Joe O'Connor
02-10-2015, 7:22 AM
It seems like I must have gotten lucky. I registered my 18 volt combo kit three years ago and it was pretty easy, last week my charger went bad so I took that and the batteries to a service center I found on the ridgid website. They determined the problem was the charger but gave me two new batteries anyway. They had to order the charger and I got a call yesterday that it was in. I also registered the new batteries, you have to call and give them the numbers over the phone it took about ten minutes.

cody michael
02-10-2015, 8:32 AM
You need to register any replacement batteries you get, so they have the current serial number. if you turn in battery 1234 and get battery 5678 then battery 5678 dies you take it in and they have no record of you owning it.

fred woltersdorf
02-10-2015, 9:16 AM
Same story with mail-in rebates-just a gimmick to entice you to buy.

I bought an electric razor from Bed,Bath and Beyond that came with a $10 rebate, sent in all the required paper work and received an email saying my rebate was invalid because of missing some of said paper work, talked with customer service and straightened that out and I was told ok, your rebate check for $5 is going out , I said the rebate form clearly states a $10 amount for this product, we went round and round then I hung up and sent them an email saying I'm done with you I can get anything you sell elsewhere so for $5 your losing a customer forever, a couple of days later received an email from them saying a $10 check is going out, that's fine but I'm not shopping there anymore. Rant off.

Rich Riddle
02-10-2015, 10:10 AM
This has proven very useful information as I am pondering a purchase of the combination sander everyone seems to love. I had no idea you had to enroll and register purchases. Very informative. Thanks.

Keith Pleas
02-10-2015, 11:24 AM
I had no idea you had to enroll and register purchases. Very informative. Thanks.
More than that, you have track the process yourself. Since you have to register online they COULD send you an email approaching 90 days saying "we haven't received your paperwork" - they know how to send email because they spam you regularly with Ridgid offers! But they don't. Not sure what happens if you go the registered mail route and they fail...seems like it's not worth pursuing after the initial filing.

Note that this is on top of the 3 year warranty - and if you don't ever register, that starts with date of manufacture of the machine.

I've also been wondering about the "value" of this LSA. The most common time to experience a failure / issue with a power tool is right out of the box, and it's pretty common now to simply take a tool back and get your money back (or exchange for another). This can be a real PITA if you are remote, or if the item is heavy (witness the folks who have had trouble with the Ridgid R4512). So...when you buy a new tool, how do you weigh Jet's 5 years against Grizzly's 1 year, against Harbor Freight's...I dunno. Would you buy an inferior tool with a longer warranty? It probably depends on the tool - some tools last forever with no problems, others not so much. But...and here's the interesting part...Ridgid tools are at the economy end of the scale, lots of plastic, not lifetime tools - and a lifetime warranty would seem to have the most "value" - except that it's on a lower-value item to begin with.

Their spindle sander is a perfect example. $200 (plus tax), seems to last a long time, so if it fails then many folks seem content to just buy another one. Versus...assuming you're the original owner...did you go through the correct hoops to get the LSA, what satisfaction will you get if you eventually DO have a problem, what's the cost of the ereplacementpart if you don't go that route, all against just buying another one.

My best guess is that the LSA might be worth 10% of the cost, or $20 for the spindle sander. Of course everybody's mileage may vary...

Art Mann
02-10-2015, 4:59 PM
I have owned the Ridgid spindle sander for a long time and it has been a very good tool. They didn't have to entice me with a lifetime service agreement. One year is fine. The only reason I wouldn't buy another one when this one dies is that I am permanently put out with them for offering the LSA in the first place and then making it so difficult to actually get it. I will not support such deception.

Kelby Van Patten
02-10-2015, 5:11 PM
I bought a Ridgid cordless combo kit when they first introduced the LSA. I immediately made three copies of the receipt and had them laminated at Kinkos. You didn't have to register the tools back then; you just had to have the receipt.

Since then, I have had the batteries replaced many times under the LSA. They have also replaced the drill twice. To their credit, they have stood behind the LSA and honored it. But it is a hassle. I have to find the receipt, and my wife has to drive it down to the local repair place. They keep it for a week or so, then we can pick it up.

Part of the problem is that these are now pretty old tools. They are heavier than the cordless tools currently available. They lack some nice features that are out today. Sometimes it is a good thing to have tools wear out and have an excuse to replace them. And the hassle of the LSA is sufficient that it sometimes makes me wonder what I'm thinking. But Ridgid has done what they said they would do; the rest is on me.

Dave Lehnert
02-10-2015, 6:53 PM
First, If a company offers a "Lifetime Service agreement" they should honor it. Period!
Having said that, I would never buy a tool based on the warranty alone. I purchased the Ridgid 12" sliding compound saw because I liked the large table. I did go through the steps to fill out all the warranty information. The way I look at it is. If I purchased another brand with a 1 year warranty, After a year I would not be covered for any repairs. I buy the Ridgid and 10 years down the road it needs repair, I just may get it fixed under warranty. If not, I would be out of luck anyway.

Dave Lehnert
02-10-2015, 7:02 PM
Hello

I dealt with the same issues back in 2008 or whenever it was that they announced the lifetime guarantee. I called the company who was the parent company of Ridgid (I forget their name). I was on a 3 way conversation coming up with scenario after scenario as to what would happen if...

One of my questions was what if a switch went bad and then they replaced it and then it went bad again, then what? I was told by both people on the phone that the lifetime of the switch would have been met after 3 times and I'd have to buy a new one myself and install it or pay them to do it. I said that's not what lifetime means and they said to read the fine print. I came up with several other questions and got answers that I didn't agree with (everything was civil and peaceful).

My neighbor got a 14.4v drill a few years ago and has three battery problems. He had issues trying to get a new one as they said he'd have drive to a service center or send it there on his dime. Now it appears that they have you go to the store tool rental, they test it, and then order a new one if they can prove that the battery is bad (I just spoke with an employee last week who verified it).

For the record, I have 2 dewalt batteries that were manufactured 200736, the 36th week of 2007. They are 7.5 years old and just starting to lose their power. I have 3 drills that were manufactured in 1997 (date is on the bottom) and they have not had one issues, nothing at all.

I know that some have had good luck, but I won't touch anything with Ridgid that involves batteries. Their orbital sander has always gotten high marks, but the battery stuff...no thanks, I'll buy DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Makita.

Respectfully,

David

Better mark Milwaukee off your list then. Ridgid and Milwaukee now has the same parent company.

Greg R Bradley
02-10-2015, 8:06 PM
Better mark Milwaukee off your list then. Ridgid and Milwaukee now has the same parent company.
I can see how you got to that conclusion but don't think it is close.

TTI owns Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi, etc.

Ridgid is a brand name of Ridge Tool Company, a subsidiary of Emerson. Ridge Tool makes high quality tools sold under the Ridgid brand name. Home Depot is the exclusive distributor of a line of power tools licensed by Ridge Tool Company with the brand name Ridgid, that are made by TTI and sold everywhere else under the name AEG.

Ridge Tools Company still sells all their good stuff under the name Ridgid also, mostly to plumbing and electrical professionals.

TTI seems to have bought Milwaukee and screwed up very little. I recently bought additional Milwaukee Tools that are similar or identical to older Milwaukee tools that were made in the US. My $200 1/4" and 3/8" corded high end drills are pretty much the same as the 20-30 year old US ones. My $500 6" hand held grinder seems as good as the one that has been in daily use for 20 years. My preference would be to say that anything that used to be a US brand that is now made in China is garbage but I suppose I should be happy it doesn't seem to be true. I would be much happier if Milwaukee Tools still made all their high end stuff in the US. The US seems to be making it impossible to make anything in the US and it just keeps getting worse. I know I'm not happy at all about that.

Most companies make good stuff and cheap stuff. You can't just assume that a specific brand is good or bad based upon the brand. It is getting harder to tell what is good and what is not and what is somewhere in between.

So TTI make some good stuff and some low end stuff like most tool companies.

You can buy a so-so $70 3/8" corded drill that says Milwaukee on it and you can buy a nice one for $200 or so. Just make sure what you buy fits your need.

Michael Yadfar
02-10-2015, 9:19 PM
I don't know if it's the same kind of deal, but I've been told that for many tools, lifetime warrenty means the lifetime of the tool, not the owner. I've never looked into it, but I've heard Harbor Freight "lifetime" warrenties actually mean like 2-3 years. Ridgid may have the same kind of system in place. I'm a Ridgid tool owner myself, and personally, for the price they are, I wouldn't sweat the warrenty unless it breaks down within the first couple years I own it

Bruce Wrenn
02-10-2015, 9:26 PM
Anybody here remember when Ridgid offered "Lifetime Warranty," no strings attached? Used to have full page ad in FHB showing guy buying tool, and then retiring RICH while tool is still under warranty. Ha, ha!

David Cramer
02-10-2015, 9:38 PM
I don't know if it's the same kind of deal, but I've been told that for many tools, lifetime warrenty means the lifetime of the tool, not the owner. I've never looked into it, but I've heard Harbor Freight "lifetime" warrenties actually mean like 2-3 years. Ridgid may have the same kind of system in place. I'm a Ridgid tool owner myself, and personally, for the price they are, I wouldn't sweat the warrenty unless it breaks down within the first couple years I own it

Exactly, which is what I was told when I asked many, many questions, hence me being put on a 3-way conversation as the first person could not answer my questions. Basically, if a switch goes bad twice, then that's considered the life of the tool, or at least that part of the tool. Then it's on you for the 3rd one. Whether it's still that way or not, I don't know, but that's what I was told back then.

As for the batteries, personally, to me it's not worth it as the time running around, dropping off and picking up is a time value that I choose not to deal with. I'll buy a decent tool for "around" the same price and have batteries that simply last 7 years or more and be quite happy that way:) I've yet to hear of a major company having batteries go bad that often. Free replacement or not, I'll stick with a more quality tool. After x amount of years, things advance and I'll get a new on on Black Friday.

Also, Greg is correct about the Milwaukee, as I've researched that as well.

David

Dave Lehnert
02-10-2015, 9:46 PM
I can see how you got to that conclusion but don't think it is close.

TTI owns Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi, etc.

Ridgid is a brand name of Ridge Tool Company, a subsidiary of Emerson. Ridge Tool makes high quality tools sold under the Ridgid brand name. Home Depot is the exclusive distributor of a line of power tools licensed by Ridge Tool Company with the brand name Ridgid, that are made by TTI and sold everywhere else under the name AEG.

Ridge Tools Company still sells all their good stuff under the name Ridgid also, mostly to plumbing and electrical professionals.

TTI seems to have bought Milwaukee and screwed up very little. I recently bought additional Milwaukee Tools that are similar or identical to older Milwaukee tools that were made in the US. My $200 1/4" and 3/8" corded high end drills are pretty much the same as the 20-30 year old US ones. My $500 6" hand held grinder seems as good as the one that has been in daily use for 20 years. My preference would be to say that anything that used to be a US brand that is now made in China is garbage but I suppose I should be happy it doesn't seem to be true. I would be much happier if Milwaukee Tools still made all their high end stuff in the US. The US seems to be making it impossible to make anything in the US and it just keeps getting worse. I know I'm not happy at all about that.

Most companies make good stuff and cheap stuff. You can't just assume that a specific brand is good or bad based upon the brand. It is getting harder to tell what is good and what is not and what is somewhere in between.

So TTI make some good stuff and some low end stuff like most tool companies.

You can buy a so-so $70 3/8" corded drill that says Milwaukee on it and you can buy a nice one for $200 or so. Just make sure what you buy fits your need.

Very true. You always need to base quality on the tool in question not just who makes it.
I think if one is dissatisfied with a brand because of one reason or another to the point they would never purchase that brand again, They would also like to know if another brand is under the same ownership. If for no other reason to be able to make an informed decision.
For the record. I own Milwaukee, Ryobi and Ridgid brands and think very highly of them for their intended purpose.

rudy de haas
02-12-2015, 5:14 PM
[QUOTE=!Ever read the IKEA cabinets 25 year warranty? Had somebody (potential client) quote that to me, so I found a copy of the warranty, read it for them. Basically the warranty is only good if you never use your kitchen. Use it and it may fall apart, not our fault. They use a LOT of words to say that, hoping you pass out or expire before reading it I imagine. I'd much rather have a 3 year unlimited warranty that was actually honored than a 25 year or lifetime warranty that is basically garbage.[/QUOTE]

ha - reminds me of the best warranty I ever fell for. I broke my old mountain bike.. and my wife wanted a street bike of her own so we bought some fancy european brand at far more than I wanted to pay. What convinced me to buy my heavier model was the shop's absolute assurance that any damage, ever, was fully warrantied because this thing was so tough, as and so well built, that nothing would ever fail.

A week later the chain broke. I had to pay for that, because the thing is built so well and so tough that breakage can only occur if the customer abuses the bike.

Two weeks after that the front axle bent. I had to pay for that because..

Bottom line:nothing was covered because any breakage proved abuse, and all abuse was excluded!

Tom Giles
02-12-2015, 5:55 PM
Timely thread as just yesterday I went to HD and picked up a Ridgid spindle sander. I bought it for the price and the positive reviews that I have read, not for the lifetime warranty. I wasn't aware there was a lifetime warranty until I opened the box and saw the instruction for registering.

Registering took me all of 5 minutes. I really don't see the big deal.

Lee Schierer
02-12-2015, 8:34 PM
They also said they recommend sending it certified mail, which I did. Now I wait.

Send it "Return Receipt" it cost the same as certified mail and you get a card back saying who signed for it. Plus scan all your documents before sending them so you have back up copies. Keep that with your returned receipt from the mailing.

Bruce Wrenn
02-12-2015, 9:03 PM
I thought so too but I got an email about 10 days later saying I had to send in the actual receipt and the UPC from the box.

They also said they recommend sending it certified mail, which I did. Now I wait.I got the same email today. Why do they want you to send it in certified (at your expense) when LSA is supposed to be free? I guess they are saying is they have either lousy mail service (I doubt it, as return address is on all items sent in,) or their employees are just plain SORRY! Seems they do everything possible to make LSA registration not work. Only one step removed from being CROOKS! Remember that you have ninety day satisfaction deal. Unhappy-return it. Guess when my ninety days ran out, day before email requesting additional info be sent in, so I can't return it to avoid hassle. In future, rest assured on 85 day, tool is going back. Next day buy another, which will also be returned. I'll basically be renting tools, with a new tool every three months. Two can play this game.

David Cramer
02-13-2015, 6:58 AM
I got the same email today. Why do they want you to send it in certified (at your expense) when LSA is supposed to be free? I guess they are saying is they have either lousy mail service (I doubt it, as return address is on all items sent in,) or their employees are just plain SORRY! Seems they do everything possible to make LSA registration not work. Only one step removed from being CROOKS! Remember that you have ninety day satisfaction deal. Unhappy-return it. Guess when my ninety days ran out, day before email requesting additional info be sent in, so I can't return it to avoid hassle. In future, rest assured on 85 day, tool is going back. Next day buy another, which will also be returned. I'll basically be renting tools, with a new tool every three months. Two can play this game.

Hi Bruce

Just a friendly and respectful heads up.

Trust me, after "x" amount of purchases of the same tool, a manager will be called and they'll put an end to it. Not saying that you're wrong in the least, just letting you know how it is most likely to play out. I worked in a home center.

Personally, I'd just end ties with buying Ridgid battery tools and move on to a brand that won't give you the issues that Ridgid has. Trust me, it's not worth it, but it's obviously your call.

Respectfully,

David

Keith Pleas
02-13-2015, 9:58 AM
...I worked in a home center...
Have you seen the recent Denzel Washington film "The Equalizer"? They were very creative in finding ways to kill bad guys with stuff taken off the shelf at "Home Club" (as I think it was called). My wife and I were howling.

David Cramer
02-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Have you seen the recent Denzel Washington film "The Equalizer"? They were very creative in finding ways to kill bad guys with stuff taken off the shelf at "Home Club" (as I think it was called). My wife and I were howling.

Hi Keith

I have not seen it, but ironically my daughter's soccer coach just brought it up to us last week as a movie to see. And for the record, I wish I lived where you live, that looks like quite a cool place to call home:) The Michigan cold is...getting old:)

David

Dave Zellers
02-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Timely thread as just yesterday I went to HD and picked up a Ridgid spindle sander. I bought it for the price and the positive reviews that I have read, not for the lifetime warranty. I wasn't aware there was a lifetime warranty until I opened the box and saw the instruction for registering.

Registering took me all of 5 minutes. I really don't see the big deal.
I'll be very interested to hear if you get the email requesting the actual receipt and bar code as well.

I received my conformation of delivery and now I'm waiting...

You can check your status online.

John Bullock
02-13-2015, 2:13 PM
I recently purchased the oscillating spindle sander from Home Depot via their web interface, since they did not have the unit in the store. I received the unit packaged directly from Rigid and all of the required paperwork was available on-line. Having retired from an Information Systems career, I have to say that I found their registration process very cumbersome and difficult to follow. In the course of registering the product, I found that there is a more streamlined process for registering products purchased via the internet for pickup at the local store. I kept all of the e-mails along with the original order information that they provided via the internet and it now resides in my computer in a separate warranty directory. The process went smoothly once I finally figured out how to get to the correct web pages and forms. I received a prompt confirmation of the receipt of the LSA within two weeks, which seems extremely slow in this day and age, but everything was fully registered. My only issue is that I have to take the unit to a service center 30 miles away, should it need LSA service.

I have been pleased with my Rigid tools, but I have to say it is a pain in the neck having to deal with Home Depot. As an example they don't carry any of the sanding media for their products in store, so that I have to order it on-line and their stores or the internet are the only possible options in my case and I find that a real nuisance. On the other hand I saved almost 50% over the on-line price from Home Depot versus other on-line retailers. In fact it was cheaper to buy this unit, which receives excellent reviews, new from Home Depot over buying it on the used market without a warranty.

Jim Sevey
02-13-2015, 10:56 PM
After replacing batteries twice I was told the batteries were no longer eligible for the program. Ridgid batteries seem to be pretty expensive compared to other quality brands. When my remaining batteries began to fail I bought a different brand where I could get batteries for about half the cost on sale. A company is only as good as its word.

Dick Holt
02-14-2015, 2:07 PM
After I bought a Ridgid drill with batteries and charger, I sent in all the required info to register for the lifetime warranty. After a while I checked my accoount on line, the drill was not listed. I sent several emails and made some phone calls. They "never received" the info I sent in. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the receipt so I could send in a duplicate. After more emails and calls they would only give me the 3 year warranty. The only other Ridgid tool I own is the Jobmax multi-tool. I did use the lifetime warranty to get a battery replaced, but it took a month to get it. I have purchased my last Ridgid tool.

Kent A Bathurst
02-14-2015, 4:24 PM
Guys - sorry, but this is going to be a bit contrary. It is what it is.

My personal view on the world is:

1] If there is a powered tool/gizmo/whatever that I expect a Lifetime Warranty to be needed, I buy a different one.
2] I never buy powered tools from a BORG - except one time - I bought the Rigid belt/spindle combo sander from THD. I had a commission for outdoor garden entrance / fence/arbor that needed it. I only required the thing to last most of the way through that project to make it pay off. It did that, and more - has worked just fine, to be honest.

If the warranty will be necessary, then spend more and get a better tool is my approach.

Absolutely no disrespect to those who's approach is different. Just sayin.............

Edward Oleen
02-15-2015, 4:42 PM
WARNING!!! "You get back a postcard saying who signed for it". Maybe... I've done that a couple of times, and the signature on the postcard was a mere scribble - not someones name, not anything that could be read and understood. I've heard - no personal experience - that at times post office personnel will simply scribble something on the return portion and send that back, never bothering to actually deliver the item.

I heard this from a lawyer who was litigating a case in which documents were never delivered, and his client was thereby screwed out of a valuable deal. He said that he mailed an item to another, co-operating, lawyer, and while he got the postcard, the recipient never got the "document" that had been mailed.

Dave Zellers
02-16-2015, 10:34 PM
My postcard didn't even have a signature. Just a blue stamp that says RECEIVED at the top and a persons name at the bottom with the date in red in the middle.

What I'm getting a kick out of is how they say to allow 10-12 weeks for processing. Which is of course the edge of the 90 day window for registering. I get that the registered letter establishes the buyer's time stamp, but you have to wonder if there is a calculation that a percentage of buyers will just throw their hands up and say screw it, when they are asked for more information after 11 weeks. Thus reducing Ridgid's obligations.

It's getting harder and harder to not be cynical these days...

Bruce Wrenn
02-17-2015, 9:19 PM
I use certificate of mailing, which proves I mailed it to them first class. I don't care if they say they didn't receive it, as courts here ruled many years ago that an item sent first class with a return address is considered to have been received by addressee. They remind me of Chase Bank. When I had a mortgage, only six months from pay off, Chase bought it. I didn't have or need an escrow account, as payoff would occur before taxes came due. Paid insurance premiums myself, sent Chase a copy of receipt showing payment. They lost/ misplaced it, and threw me into their insurance at a premium that was greater than mortgage payment. Took three months to straighten out their mess. Loan was to be paid off in December, so first of November, I sent them a letter requesting pay off in December. Three days before payoff date, I called and asked for payoff amount. Told me they couldn't tell me over phone, but for a fee of $35 would fax it to me. Told them, no way in ####, give me the payoff. Finally agreed to fax at no cost payoff amount. Sent in check with confirmation of receipt. They signed for it at 10:31 AM, so I knew it was there in time. In January, I get notice of late payment from Chase. Called them up and asked what gives as they signed for payment. Was told I sent it to wrong address. Reminded them that the fax they sent me said to send to that address. Took a couple weeks for Chase to figure out they goofed, not my fault. Then after sixty days, they hadn't sent lein relase called and asked where it was. Got a lame excuse that local register of deed was so far behind, that register of deed hadn't processed it. Called register of deed, and was told that they received form in mid December, and sent out lien release recording same day. Clerk asked if I wanted a certified copy (at no cost), so I requested two. Get them next and and forward one to Chase telling them as how they couldn't get me lien release, I would send them one. I initialed it in lower right corner. Two weeks later, I get lien release from Chase, with my initials in lower right corner. They made a copy of what I sent them and sent it back to me. Couple weeks later get a customer survey from Chase, which I told them that they were truly the mortgage company from ####.

Greg R Bradley
02-17-2015, 9:32 PM
.... Couple weeks later get a customer survey from Chase, which I told them that they were truly the mortgage company from ####.

You are giving #### a bad name by saying Chase originated there. Sadly, they probably don't care, just like Bank of America who bought my Mortgage Company.

Bruce Wrenn
02-18-2015, 7:55 PM
You are giving #### a bad name by saying Chase originated there. Sadly, they probably don't care, just like Bank of America who bought my Mortgage Company.I built and own two houses. First with standard mortgage, and second with a "First Bank of the Left Hip Mortgage." Even though it took five years to build, I like the second type better. We have been in first house for 35 years. Now our property taxes and insurance are more than our mortgage payments were which included both. We have paid more in property taxes than we paid for house, with no end in sight. I digress.

Dave Zellers
02-18-2015, 8:38 PM
Property taxes are pure evil.

george newbury
02-19-2015, 1:21 PM
Boy I'm glad I read this thread. I'm in the market for a bunch of battery based power tools after my using the new 20V Max by dewalt. Others had almost convinced me that Ridgid's lifetime warranty was a LOT better.

At least they don't ensure YOU die after their batteries need replacing 3 times.

Bruce Wrenn
02-19-2015, 9:48 PM
NOT A WARRANTY, but lifetime service agreement. If it was a warranty, under Moss - Mangus Act ( I think that's the correct name) you wouldn't have to sign up for anything. Ridgid is very explisite that's it isn't a warranty.

Keith Pleas
02-21-2015, 11:24 AM
This sounds like a classic weed and deny scheme. If they genuinely wanted to honor their warranty as advertised they would make the process convenient, like DO IT AT THE REGISTER AT TIME OF PURCHASE for instance.
Well...I finally got around to registering the spindle sander into "my tools" on Ridgid.com. I wasn't looking forward to the registered mail 2 step, but...damn, they changed the process. When registering on Ridgid.com if you provide the Home Depot 23-digit receipt number, they will automatically complete the process - nothing else required!

If this works then...well, consider my satisfaction automatically upgraded as well.

Dave Zellers
02-21-2015, 12:08 PM
That's what I did but I still had to send them the receipt and UPC code.

When I check on it now online it appears that it went through since they removed "Incomplete" from the LSA button.

I should get an email next week confirming that.

Jim Dwight
02-21-2015, 3:06 PM
I hope it works out. I had a little Rigid 1/4 sheet sander that I registered. So when it stopped working I took it to a Rigid authorized repair shop. They couldn't fix it. They tried but couldn't. They didn't think it could be fixed. So I just dropped it and bought a different sander (a Milwaukee which has since died).

I'm sure I will buy a Rigid tool again but the experience made me look harder at other brands.

Rick Potter
02-21-2015, 3:57 PM
:My recent thread about my odyssey with the Ridgid 12V drill, has convinced me to never buy a battery powered Ridgid tool again, although I have nothing against their tools....it's the batteries.

Four pairs of batteries, over several years, and one battery out of each pair was bad??? I didn't bother trying to re-register them again.

For sale: 12V drill kit, absolutely like new, except drill replaced three times, charger replaced three times, and batteries replaced four times.

Keith Pleas
02-21-2015, 4:53 PM
That's what I did but I still had to send them the receipt and UPC code.
Where did you see that part? I saw it below as the "alternative" registration method. Nothing was said about still having to do the mail in process. I guess I'll just wait 2 weeks and find out.

Dave Zellers
02-21-2015, 5:23 PM
Where did you see that part? I saw it below as the "alternative" registration method. Nothing was said about still having to do the mail in process. I guess I'll just wait 2 weeks and find out.
I got this email about a week after I registered online:

"Dear David,
Thank you for choosing RIDGID power tools. Unfortunately, we encountered an issue when cross referencing your product and/or proof of purchase information with our records and were unable to upgrade your products to Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) status. Please complete the instructions below to achieve Lifetime Service Agreement status on your products pending further processing and approval."

That's when I had to send in the original receipt and UPC from the box.

It's quite possible that you will not have that problem and won't have to do that.

Tom Giles
02-21-2015, 6:45 PM
I'll be very interested to hear if you get the email requesting the actual receipt and bar code as well.

I received my conformation of delivery and now I'm waiting...

You can check your status online.

I received this reply email a couple of days ago. It doesn't request the receipt.

Dear Thomas,
Thank you for choosing RIDGID power tools. Your RIDGID Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) registration on the product(s) below has been verified!

Inthe event that you require service on your products, please present yourCustomer ID at the time of service to a local RIDGID Power Tool authorizedservice center.
Ifyour tool needs service in the future, bring your tool to an authorized servicecenter found at [link removed]. Note: If abattery requires service, bring in the battery, charger as well as the tool itwas sold with for a proper diagnosis. If a serialized piece of equipment withLSA status is ever replaced, you have 90 days from date of replacement to call1-866-539-1710 and re-register that piece of equipment. Proof of replacementrequired. Replacement products that are not re-registered within 90 days ofreplacement will not maintain LSA status. Also note that if a serialized pieceof equipment without LSA status is ever replaced under the 3-Year LimitedWarranty, the replacement piece of equipment will be covered by the 3-YearLimited Warranty only for the remaining time prorated from the original date ofpurchase or the date of manufacture shown on the originally purchased products.In other words, the 3-year limited warranty period does not "restart"from the date of replacement or from the date of manufacture shown on thereplacement product’s serial code. Visit [link removed]for full details on the RIDGID Lifetime Service Agreement and the 3-YearLimited Warranty.

Dave Zellers
02-21-2015, 7:07 PM
Cool! That's the email I'm waiting for.

Don't know why there was a problem with mine but it seems to have passed. Just haven't received the email yet.

Mike Tekin
02-21-2015, 7:32 PM
Dave,

Just got the spjndle sander 3 weeks ago and got the same message as you stating they couldnt verify the sale and I had to mail in the receipt and UPC code - Just my opinion, I think Ridgid tries to do all they can to prevent people from getting the Lifetime Service registered - since the spindle sander is unique, its the last Ridgid tool I will buy- this is complete BS. I would feel different if they didnt advertise the LSA, but its on banners all over Home Depot and plastered all over their boxes...

Cool! That's the email I'm waiting for.

Don't know why there was a problem with mine but it seems to have passed. Just haven't received the email yet.

Dave Zellers
02-21-2015, 8:23 PM
But that doesn't explain why some are getting that msg and others aren't.

In order for this to work, Ridgid and Home Depot have to work together. It could just be that they aren't able to do that very well.

For me, this is the only Ridgid tool I even care about. I need a spindle sander and the strong reviews were too much to ignore. The small belt sander is the perfect compliment to my Jet 89" oscillating belt sander.

I expect to get the thumbs up next week.

Bruce Wrenn
02-22-2015, 9:49 PM
Where did you see that part? I saw it below as the "alternative" registration method. Nothing was said about still having to do the mail in process. I guess I'll just wait 2 weeks and find out.Don't worry, you WILL get the email saying send in UPC and copy or receipt. I still in limbo on one I sent in Dec 2011. Despite sending it in TWICE, Ridgid says they never got it. But I have certificate of mailing in my "Ridgid Folder." Mailed them another copy last week, maybe the third time will be the charm?

Keith Pleas
02-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Don't worry, you WILL get the email saying send in UPC and copy or receipt.
Actually, I got an email a couple of hours ago saying:

"Thank you for choosing RIDGID power tools. Your RIDGID Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) registration on the product(s) below has been verified!"

Keith Pleas
02-23-2015, 6:01 PM
Well...the strangest thing just happened. I received a letter, at my home, in a business envelope from a company in South Carolina, with the paper trail of a (apparently failed) Ridgid battery LSA registration by a man in Massachusetts, documented on a tiny handwritten piece of paper on St Jude Children's Research Hospital letterhead. I have never heard of the company in SC or the man in MA (and his name is not on this SMC thread). I HAVE heard of St Jude. And Ridgid.

It appears that the man could not enter the serial numbers of the batteries online. He then wrote this tiny letter asking Ridgid to register the product, attaching some documentation of the serial number of the charger (which he WAS able register online), but nothing for the batteries. And Ridgid responded a couple of weeks later with a letter saying...they needed the serial numbers "for charger and both batteries". That, um, seems reasonable to me.

Am I missing something? Other than the obvious, which is why did this company choose to mail me these documents?

Bruce Wrenn
02-24-2015, 9:31 AM
Well...the strangest thing just happened. I received a letter, at my home, in a business envelope from a company in South Carolina, with the paper trail of a (apparently failed) Ridgid battery LSA registration by a man in Massachusetts, documented on a tiny handwritten piece of paper on St Jude Children's Research Hospital letterhead. I have never heard of the company in SC or the man in MA (and his name is not on this SMC thread). I HAVE heard of St Jude. And Ridgid.

Am I missing something? Other than the obvious, which is why did this company choose to mail me these documents?Because now Ridgid (One World Tech.) will be able to say we contacted you and never heard back, so LSA is worthless. Unfortunately someone needs to start a "Class Action Suit" against Ridgid for fraud. Maybe if enough complained to their state Attorney Generals Offices, they would get on the band wagon, and protect us, which is what they are supposed to do. But this wouldn't bring great political benefits like some other types of cases do.

Keith Pleas
02-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Because now Ridgid (One World Tech.) will be able to say we contacted you and never heard back, so LSA is worthless.
I suppose - though this letter from Ridgid also had, highlighted in yellow, an 866 number to call to discuss the issue.

So, contrary to my expectations my spindle sander registered easily, online only, with no need to send in the box chunk. Which I guess I can finally throw out along with the paper registration form. But I can sure see someone expecting the process to work, disposing of the box, and then getting that communication saying "send in the box UPC". I'm wondering if the week or two between purchase and registering gave time for the sales record to propogate to Ridgid?

At this point I'm not inclined to see the LSA as a conspiracy, but I do think they could be doing a better job.

I'm still curious why I was sent this documentation by someone else. :)

Bruce Wrenn
03-05-2015, 9:56 PM
Well today, the LSA on my drill / light from 2011 was activated. Three years, three months, less two days is all it took. I've sent in paper work or copies THREE times. Talked to person to whom third copy was addressed this morning. Was told she had received NOTHING, and I should send it again. Tonight get email showing LSA registration for 2011 is now complete. However the drill / driver I registered online in January doesn't show LSA status yet.

Myk Rian
03-06-2015, 11:08 AM
This thread makes me wonder if Ridgid was taken over by Delta.

Paul Bylin
03-06-2015, 4:25 PM
Personally, I love Rigid tools, although I am just a hobbiest, not a professional at woodworking. I have the drills, shop vac, r4512 table saw, and a couple of other items. All have the LSA. I only go back about four years with the LSA and I have had to use it with the miter on the table saw. They were very quick in sending me a new miter at no charge. What I have done since reading this thread is to go to the Rigid web site that has all my LSA tools and took a picture of that page for my records in case I ever run into a problem like some of you have had.

Vijay Kumar
03-06-2015, 8:40 PM
I registered my account on the ridgid website. They then asked me to fill out a form and send the original receipt and the UPC. 8 weeks later I get all my papers back asking me to fax the serial number UPC. I do that. Still nothing.
6 more weeks pass. I finally called them up this morning and after a bunch of questions such as what is your customer number (generated when you first register on the web site), they ask me to read out the serial number on the tool. After that I was told that I was now registered. I finally got the email this afternoon confirming the fact.

Looks like you just have to be persistent and have copies of everything.

Vijay

Bruce Wrenn
03-06-2015, 9:22 PM
Looks like you just have to be persistent and have copies of everything.

VijayAMEN!!! Only took me almost three years, and three months (lacking two days.) I'm not sure what their problem is, but it doesn't seem to be going away. Now I have another drill / charger / batteries to deal with. All were registered on same day, but batteries don't show up as LSA-DUH?

Lee Reep
03-06-2015, 9:40 PM
I own some Ridgid air tools, a 2HP, router, a trim router, the Oscillating Sander, and some vacs -- no battery tools. I've had good luck with all these tools, but the LSA stuff is just too much. Life is too short. I'm buying Festool when I get a new drill. May be more money but I trust them more than the big box stores and the hops thy put customers thru.

I've got a Festool track saw and love it. I'm willing to pay more for actual German engineering/manufacturing, and the piece of mind that I won't be spending the next "X" years sending in form after form.