PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and very useful clip on task light

ian maybury
02-09-2015, 3:50 PM
Just thought i'd mention that several of these clip on super compact 'light on a flexible stalk' jobs from IKEA have been giving very good service in my workshop in recent months: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50282771/

Several advantages. The light itself is very small but decently bright as the flexible stalk and cip on mount allow it to be placed very close to the work. Similar to a small/relatively low powered halogen light projecting a roughly 35 deg beam - and a similar colour white light. (some LED lights have a brown/blue tone to the light they emit which makes them a lot less effective) It wouldn't be much use for general lighting though. The cable is good and long, but light and flexible.

Good for e.g. clipping on to a drill table to rake light over the work area from close in, or likewise on a bandsaw - with the ability to get in close in most situations. The flexible stalk is self supporting and holds its position pretty well. The foot mounted variant would be useful for use on a bench to spot light the exact work area: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/ They seem to last very well - we have had a couple of the latter in a bedroom for use as reading lights for several years now, and they work very well for that.

Chris Padilla
02-09-2015, 4:08 PM
I found this one from Energizer (http://www.officesupplyinc.com/reading-light-spring-clip-flexible-black-p-9555.html?utm_campaign=google-product-search-us-en&utm_medium=product_search&utm_source=google-product-search-us-en&gclid=CJvO35Li1cMCFQZafgodZasAfw) at the hardware store for around $8. It is quite a bright, very lightweight light to have around the shop. It does use a circular battery (CR2032), however, so that is a bit of a pain but I like it thus far.

Fidel Fernandez
02-09-2015, 4:52 PM
Wouldn't it be better to have this kind of light? http://smile.amazon.com/Headlamp-Brightness-Headlamps-Batteries-Included/dp/B005FEGYJC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423518614&sr=8-1&keywords=head+light

It will light where you are looking at.

I will try it tonight in my garage, not that specific one, but the one that I have.

ian maybury
02-09-2015, 5:13 PM
They work well Fidel - i have a couple and use them from time to time. Good for stuff like wiring and construction related work where you may need to climb around a lot and can't easily use a fixed lamp. There's times though where it's tough to keep a headlight pointed where needed.

It's useful to have a lever arm/counterbalanced halogen lamp with plenty of output sometimes too - when it's necessary to light a larger area when e.g. sanding and finishing.

Bruce Page
02-09-2015, 6:01 PM
Fidel, I bought one of those when I was doing some attic wiring, it was indispensable. I don't think I would want to use it for machine work, I'd want a task light that doesn't move around.

Lee Reep
02-09-2015, 6:22 PM
I've got two of the clip on style LED lamps from Ikea. One on a hobby bench (outside my shop). I also use one for reading at night. Very directional, and so it does not bother my wife like a regular table lamp would.

And regarding the headband style, I have one of those when I crawl into our crawlspace to look for something. Especially useful when I've run wiring (elctrical, cable, internet). No hands tied up holding a flashlight, or trying to prop one up so it shines where you want it to.

And to complete the LED apparel, I have a camo ball cap with two bright LEDs in the underside of the brim. Great for getting more firewood to throw on the fire in the firepit, or walking thru the yard in the dark and avoiding all the items I normally trip over. Plus it just looks so darn cool ... :rolleyes:

Grant Wilkinson
02-10-2015, 9:15 AM
I picked up 3 of the Ikea lights, liking the price. 2 of the 3 have packed up with little use. I'm guessing that maybe something in the cheap electronics does not like even small vibrations, but I've not dissected one to find out. I did bypass the switch and in both cases, that was not the problem.

ian maybury
02-11-2015, 6:17 PM
Could be you got a bad batch Grant, all mine so far have been OK. One of the two originals flickers a little at times, was sure it would quit but two years later its still going strong.

Worth bearing in mind though for anybody thinking of buying a quantity...