View Full Version : Plumbing Question

Larry Fox
02-09-2015, 3:21 PM
Wondering if I can tap into the collective plumbing wisdom on the forum to help me sort out an especially frustrating issue I am facing. It is frustrating mostly because it *seems* like it should be very easy to solve but it is proving otherwise.

Without going into detail about how I got to where I am and all that, here is my problem. I am redoing a bathroom in my house. The outlet pipe for the toilet is stubbed up through the floor and there is a 3"PVC hub sitting about 3/4" inches below the finished floor waiting to accept the toilet flange. Picture a 3" PVC coupling, the female part of that is what I am calling a 3" hub in case I have my terminology incorrect.

Now, I need to install a toilet flange and I can't seem to find one that has a long enough tail-piece to bridge this 3/4" gap and make a good solvent weld connection to the hub. The Sioux Chief model number of the one I have is 886-PTMS which they call a spigot. It has a relatively short tailpiece on it and I can get about 1" of purchase that seems like a bit on the short side for a good solvent weld bond. I could chisel the tile, thinset, concrete backer-board out and get another about 3/4" but that means the toilet flange will be about that far below the floor and I will need to build it up. I find it hard to believe that there is not a readily available solution to this but I can't seem to locate it so I thought I would ask here.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I might locate such a toilet flange?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Myk Rian
02-09-2015, 3:36 PM
Will something like this work?


ryan paulsen
02-09-2015, 3:57 PM
In the floor, is it pipe or a fitting? If a fitting (elbow), attach a short piece of pipe. Your replacement flange will fit inside this pipe. If pipe, use a "replacement flange," these often have a longer tailpiece.
Did you add the tile floor? What was there before?

Larry Fox
02-09-2015, 4:04 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Myk - not enough room for that. It is one of those deals where there is too much distance for a traditional toliet flange but not enough to deploy something like that without the flange sticking up above the floor too far.

Ryan - It is a fitting. I thought about attaching a short piece of pipe and using an inside-fit flange but reading I have done seems to suggest that an inside-fit for 3" is frowned upon and not to code in most places. I did add the tile floor and what was there before was a ABS pipe and flange with not much more purchase than what I am looking at. The way the room is laid out and the way the pipe runs this is really the only configuration that can be done without significant heroics.

Since posting the original request for info I found the item below that I think will do the trick.


Randy Red Bemont
02-09-2015, 4:14 PM
That looks like it may work for your situation. Good luck and just make sure you get a good seal with the wax ring unlike what my plumber did.


Val Kosmider
02-09-2015, 8:19 PM
Within the past month or so, TOH...the plumber guy...Trethuey (?) did a job where he had to turn a toilet 90 degrees from its original location. This created issues with the way the toilet/closet flange intercepted the drain pipe. He came up with a solution using a manufactured flange which suited the application.

At the end of the segment/show he went through a whole litany of devices which addressed many of the likely issues associated with re-setting a toilet. If you can find that show on You Tube you might see a fitting at the end of the show which will meet your needs. What he was trying to say was, regardless of the "new" setting there is a product which will retrofit the situation.

A long shot, but maybe it helps.